Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Apple Needs Help With the Pro Market

Apple should have slashed prices drastically on this new Mac Pro and called it, the Interim Mac Pro and given a real release date for the new Mac Pro.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
No wonder that they didn't have balls to tell about this "update" in keynote; 2 year old CPU's, 3 year old GPU's, no usb3 or tb...!

I just don't get it, why Apple doesn't offer usb3 and tb as add-on pci-e card?
They wan't to axe MP so badly, that Tim can repeat his sensei's words "hardly no-one was buying these anymore"?
Well, you'll have to be in a bad position if you need to buy these "flagships from history" with these prices...

Mine too...

Well, 09 Pros on ebay float around $1,400 - $1,600 so they may reach $1,200 by Fall. There are USB3 cards I believe as there are a few people in the Pro forum with them but TB on the other hand I believe requires it to on the board itself.

-----

Since these Pros are almost no different from the 5,1 would it be possible to run SL on them?

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
An insult update

I have to say this update is a pure insult. As a pro user who supports and purchases other machines for a pro environment, this is just crazy. Other's have said it already but bears repeating - old processors (when new ones are available), old video card (when new ones are available) and no USB3 OR TB.

Heck, maybe I would have said "ok" if they included TB but no way am I going to drop this kind of money on a machine w/o TB when clearly in a year+ TB connected devices are going to be key.

There really is no excuse. Price to include TB would be nothing for a serious person considering this kind of machine. What, add an extra $100? $400?

Common Apple, this is crazy. :mad:

designer22

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Minneapolis MN
This is stupendously disappointing Apple...hard to believe this response to years of waiting. We all know your bread and butter is now iOS, but really - Pro users are the most loyal base you have - or had, after this.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This is a huge disappointment. I'm not one for dramatics, but it really is a shame that this is all that they could do for the Mac Pro, considering what they just did for the MacBook Pros.

They could have also upgraded the graphics options as well at the very least, the 5770's are very old compared to the 6870 I'm running in a Hackintosh and 7000-series chips that AMD is shipping now.

I would not even call there laptops a pro computer. Damn good prosumer but far from pro or enterprise grade.

finnns2000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2006
Pineapple under the sea
Again, I am shocked at this horrendous update. This is the first time I feel like Apple really is abandoning their Pro market, blatantly. Also disappointed about the lack of mention of this or the iMac at WWDC.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i see that the base quad-core, like before, can be updated to a single 6-core. but the store has dropped the "westmere" and "nehalem" descriptions that had accompanied the descriptions up until today.

anyone know which the single 6-core chip is? it's at 3.33 GHz, if that helps.

just weighing my options here. need to replace my 2005 dual g5 with something or another... and i need a pci-e slot...

ToeTag

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
5770 graphics is 2 generations old
3gigabit SATA, not 6
No Thunderbolt
No SATA 3

Useless. Thanks for nothing Apple. What an insult. Over the last 2 years you couldn't even come up with a few man months to upgrade it. Its not that hard Apple. Just source come Gigabyte motherboards and tweak a few drivers. Pathetic. Sad really. And now we're supposed to wait another year. Or who really knows how long thanks to the Apple mystique. Probably some marketing suit will then say "well the Mac Pro isn't selling that well so we had to kill it off". Sure, if you make us wait 2 years then sell us obsolete garbage at a premium price what to you expect us to do. I like to be kissed before I get ...

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
If the MacRumors Buyer's Guide has any respect at all, they would continue to list "DO NOT BUY" next to the Mac Pros.

The Mac Pro is a dead line. Why buy into a line that will have had essentially no updates (I'm not counting today) for almost 3 years? And that "almost 3 years" is if you believe the supposed Tim Cook quote in the other thread of "...we're working on something really great for later next year" refers to new Mac Pros.

If I buy a Mac Pro, all I'd be doing is locking myself into a way of doing things leaves me hoping for updates "soon" when I have to buy new hardware to actually use the upcoming OS I want to use. That, or biting the bullet and paying around $3000 for 2-year-old hardware, which is against the purpose and spirit of a Buyer's Guide.

A good buyer's guide does not suggest, "Buy this because it was recently updated". A good buyer's guide says, "Buy this, because it's actually new and contains value", neither of which apply to these "New" Mac Pros.

kps

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
kw.on.ca
i see that the base quad-core, like before, can be updated to a single 6-core. but the store has dropped the "westmere" and "nehalem" descriptions that had accompanied the descriptions up until today.

anyone know which the single 6-core chip is? it's at 3.33 GHz, if that helps.
From the Apple Store, the 4-core is a W3565 (Bloomfield Nehalem, launch date Q4 2009) upgradable to a 6-core W3680 (Gulftown Westmere, Q1 2010).

The 12-core is a pair of E5645 (Gulftown Westmere, Q1 2010), upgradable to X5650 (ditto) or X5675 (Gulftown Westmere, Q1 2011 — wow, actually less than 2 years old!).

Last edited:

Mr Hackintosh

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Ok Ok ,on a personal level all the venting is good..But lets be serious ..fiscally Apple will do whats in their best interest and we... will do whats in ours...Sometimes they will coincide sometimes they will not ..It may feel personal but it's' not...When they had their fiscal issues see you really see them sitting around the board-room saying" Those idiot customers are a bunch of dis-loyal scum how dare they not buy are stuff! Ok ya well there was probably some of that...but eventually they said " Ok forget the past ,lets adapt, evolve into something people want , or set the trends of what people think they want....Boyz we have to do the same ..Me luckily I can adapt easily ( until they switch to propriety hardware ) to using intel hardware to make my "Proxy Mac" which you call a Hackintosh and contimue to enjoy using my favourite OS and hardware boards for logic Final Cut (Ahem!) Adobe CS6 etc .One can use Windows OS for other programs (ya ya I know ) as necessary .I know you don't want to hear this and no-one likes change (hey I'm 56 ) But thems the facts...you evolve or go extinct...I mean did you really expect things to ever get easier? And if so how realistic was that given the world we live in . Hey at least its better than water-boarding and we all know thats not torture either is it?

gimme a gun !

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
OK...... let's evolve !!
So do you have a plan, or links to share to build a strong and stable 2x8 core "Mac Proxy" for 5K footage video editing ?
It's not ironic.... and I really like the name ! ; )

DisTriBution

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Let's EMAIL TIM COOK and make sure he gets the message

I am seriously considering emailing Tim Cook on this one. This is a slap in the face, combined with a simultaneous middle finger and kick in the ass...
It is offensive. There is NOTHING "new" about this Mac Pro, I wonder if they can legally call it "new" since these parts were released two years ago. Major, MAJOR fail.

Tim Cook's email is: tcook(at sign)apple.com

Mr Hackintosh

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
OK...... let's evolve !!
So do you have a plan, or links to share to build a strong and stable 2x8 core "Mac Proxy" for 5K footage video editing ?
It's not ironic.... and I really like the name ! ; )

I take it you shoot westerns on RED EPIC ,hence the name
I know everyone has been trying the
asus,super micro and evga motherboards ,but I think the c606 chipset for the E series xeons is not working as well under OSX as WIN7 right now .I know cs6 under windows with the twin xeons is killer fast ..are you using red rocket?

Mountain lion might be the answer with drivers... time will tell but mot holding my breath ..we will know in a month .luckily I dont have to work with 5K red but I am sure with the advent of 420 gigs of persistant ram on the PCI-e bus will also help a lot as well

Tiituli

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Could it be that Mac Pro will need a retina display developed before releasing? Or, are there stand-alone retina displays already available from Apple? :confused:

I'm sure Apple is not going to drop Mac Pro, because that is a flagship, which cannot be replaced by any other model. And, flagships are never top-selling models! :rolleyes: So, that cannot alone be a reason for dropping.

I think the Mac Pro quite simply was not yet ready for being released. ... And, it is most important to keep your best weapon secret until you use it! That's the reason why iMac and Mac Pro were not even mentioned. :))

Meanwhile, let's play with the best ever Apple computer, i.e. MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Could it be that Mac Pro will need a retina display developed before releasing? Or, are there stand-alone retina displays already available from Apple? :confused:

I'm sure Apple is not going to drop Mac Pro, because that is a flagship, which cannot be replaced by any other model. And, flagships are never top-selling models! :rolleyes: So, that cannot alone be a reason for dropping.

I think the Mac Pro quite simply was not yet ready for being released. ... And, it is most important to keep your best weapon secret until you use it! That's the reason why iMac and Mac Pro were not even mentioned. :))
I think enough years have passed waiting for next "real update" and updates have been worse all the time. I believe that no-one in Apple dares to call this "new" MP flagship of anything. MP will be the last in line to get new features, if there ever will be a new version of MP. Logically it will be last to get retina displays also.
Apple could have added all that new laptops have in MP years ago, but they decided to make it as attractive as xServe and maybe it will be it's fate also.

Apple has used years and tons of money to get all new things in tightest space on the planet: their new laptops. At the same time MP's inner volume is 100x more and it could had all new features just by inserting a few small chips to mother (or daughter) board. And those chips cost very little. Re-engineering and designing the motherboard does cost a bit, but it's a drop in the ocean for Apple. Maybe Apple has some sort of internal law, that they don't redesign anything before it has sold million units. Seems to be that MP will never reach this anymore. Maybe Apple needed MP as flagship in PR before, but now it's all about thinness, light weight and retina, so they are just waiting to get rid of anything that isn't.
Well, 09 Pros on ebay float around $1,400 - $1,600 so they may reach $1,200 by Fall. There are USB3 cards I believe as there are a few people in the Pro forum with them but TB on the other hand I believe requires it to on the board itself.
Well, TB is pci, so I can't understand why there couldn't be TB pcie-card. For dp side of tb, it might require gpu on card, but throwing some old cheap gpu there wouldn't cost much. Or they could release "crippled" version of tb, that does not include dp. This might even be good for power users, when display data won't saturate tb pipe.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not even Thunderbolt. Speaks volumes of how much attention Apple pays to the pro market.

Thunderbolt technology makes direct access to the processor bus available to devices outside your computer, but currently limited to 10 Gbit per second. The Mac Pro has plenty of space to add cards with hardware internally, giving that hardware access to the processor bus at fully unlimited speed.

There's no point attaching an external graphics card through Thunderbolt when you can put one right inside your computer. No point attaching an SSD drive through Thunderbolt when you can put four SSD drives right into your Macintosh.

For the Mac Pro, Thunderbolt is just pointless.

I disagree. Under Jobs the direction taken was obvious.

Who knew Cook and crew were stupid enough to follow Jobs into suicide and the grave?

Please do a reality check. How many billion dollars profit did Apple make in the last year?

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Meanwhile, let's play with the best ever Apple computer, i.e. MacBook Pro.

Mac Pros don't have displays in the chassis.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Aren't the prices quite good now. I mean didn't the 12 core start at 4999 before, with only 6GB ram but with 2.66GHz. Its 3799. Fairly good really. Old tech but at least the made it substantially cheaper. Should be even cheaper though.
Im still really annoyed the didn't update it more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.