Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
At least not yet. All my calls, alerts, emails and texts remain unsilenced even when it's enabled. Only when the silence switch is toggled does the phone actually silence these alerts.
I'm assuming this feature will be functional by the time of the release. If not, then it'll be a huge disappointment.

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
Mine is working. The trick is the phone has to be locked. If you are actually using it the notifications still fire. We'll see if it stay silent through the night.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Mine's working just fine. Just had a friend call twice within three minutes and only the second call came through.

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
Thank you for your trick. It really works if locked.

I thought about it for a second and realized: "The feature is designed to let me sleep. If I'm using the phone I'm not sleeping, thus the feature won't work"

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's what it is supposed to do.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
I thought about it for a second and realized: "The feature is designed to let me sleep. If I'm using the phone I'm not sleeping, thus the feature won't work"

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's what it is supposed to do.

I'd have preferred it to be an "Actually silence the phone (including stop the vibrate) at all costs" setting.

We all know the mute doesn't apply to some things (alarms, user-initiated sounds, etc). Sometimes I'd like a "complete silence" mode. For example, I'm in the library. I may be using my phone, but I don't want an alarm starting up just because I forgot to un-set it.

This will still help for concerts and the theatre, since I won't be using my phone there. But there are some situations I'd want to use my phone but have absolutely no chance of it making a noise.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Alarms bypass the silent settings by design. What good is an alarm if you can't hear it....

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Alarms bypass the silent settings by design. What good is an alarm if you can't hear it....

I know. I don't mind it bypassing the silent setting, since usually that's what I want.

But sometimes I do want true silence. In a concert, I want my phone to make no noise at all. Speaker off. Vibrate off. Nothing should come out of that device. It's rarer than me just wanting not to be interrupted, but sometimes I want that. That's why I was hoping that DND would be this kind of super-silent mode.

danielsamuels

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
I know. I don't mind it bypassing the silent setting, since usually that's what I want.

But sometimes I do want true silence. In a concert, I want my phone to make no noise at all. Speaker off. Vibrate off. Nothing should come out of that device. It's rarer than me just wanting not to be interrupted, but sometimes I want that. That's why I was hoping that DND would be this kind of super-silent mode.

Why don't you just turn off your phone?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Why don't you just turn off your phone?

That would make sense. Speaking from experience though. Sometimes I want/need super silence, I don't want to be out of touch with everything though. So I'll occasionally check for notifications.

Phone doesn't take 2 seconds to turn on/off. More of a hassle and time waste to do that.

In the past I'd just put phone on vibrate and disable vibe in silent mode.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!

+1 on just turning off your phone. You shouldn't be using your phone during a concert, and if you aren't being disturbed by vibrations or sounds, you wouldn't know if anyone is trying to contact you anyway. You'll save some battery life for after the concert too, when you have to respond to everything ;)

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
I'd have preferred it to be an "Actually silence the phone (including stop the vibrate) at all costs" setting.

We all know the mute doesn't apply to some things (alarms, user-initiated sounds, etc). Sometimes I'd like a "complete silence" mode. For example, I'm in the library. I may be using my phone, but I don't want an alarm starting up just because I forgot to un-set it.

This will still help for concerts and the theatre, since I won't be using my phone there. But there are some situations I'd want to use my phone but have absolutely no chance of it making a noise.

This feature already exists. It's called turn off the phone. :rolleyes:

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Do Not Disturb worked well for me this past night. Just has to be locked.

Also, as per the alarm conversation above, the only exception to making a noise is the alarm. So you don't HAVE to turn the phone off... :p It's only one place to check.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
If you're setting an alarm, it's b/c you want your phone to alert you about something at a specific time. In that situation, why in the world would you not want it to bypass any other setting? If I set my phone for silence while I'm sleeping and set my alarm to wake me up at 7am, my phone shouldn't wake me!? Kinda defeats the purpose of an alarm, doesn't it?

Ilikesapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Do not disturb works like a charm for me when it is a phone call on my dnd-allowed list. Texts from same person on repeated texting failed to light the screen OR vibrate, as they were meant to do. Same person, DND rules were followed (by iPhone) for calling, not texting. (I really want this to work for when my teen spends the night somewhere else.)

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Do not disturb works like a charm for me when it is a phone call on my dnd-allowed list. Texts from same person on repeated texting failed to light the screen OR vibrate, as they were meant to do. Same person, DND rules were followed (by iPhone) for calling, not texting. (I really want this to work for when my teen spends the night somewhere else.)
Do Not Disturb only allows repeated calls (cellular/facetime) to go through when it is enabled, it does not allow for repeated texts/emails etc. to come in.

If something is an emergency, someone is going to call you, not send a text message about it.

Personally I wish there was the option to have the DND schedule only operate when connected to a power source. Often I have it set to 00:00–08:00 but may be up past 00:00 on the weekend, and don't receive any alerts. I only plug in my device when I am going to sleep, so it would be ideal if the schedule was only enabled then.

teaman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
I realize this thread is a bit old but I just recently upgraded to iOS 6 due to the Google map issue. Anyway I realize you say that the phone has to be in Lock mode for DND to work? I use my phone as my Alarm clock and so my phone is NOT locked for that reason. It is busy displaying the current time in large numbers and I wouldn't want to have to Unlock my phone to turn off the alarm in the morning.

So is DND useless for my need?

For those wanting more silence than DND offers you could do what I've been doing for years in the absense of DND... put the phone in Airplane Mode. This does block ALL phone calls but I have a house phone that people can call me on if they must get ahold of me while I sleep.

I was hoping that DND being a scheduled mode would relieve me from having to manually set and unset Airplane Mode every night/morning.

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
off topic but related.. the scheduled DND doesn't work anymore after 2013.. is it just me?? :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the discussion thread.

Last edited:

teaman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
For me the failure was occuring prior to 1/1/13. They (Apple) may consider it not an issue but for me using an alarm app that prevents (and you don't want it to) lock the screen, the DND feature is useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.