Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

messages_icon-150x150.jpg

As noted by Cult of Mac, Apple has removed references to the Messages for Mac beta that the company released for OS X Lion in mid-February to provide a preview of the functionality coming in OS X Mountain Lion.
There's still a Messages for Mac link at the bottom of Apple's Downloads page -- as you can see below -- but again, it just redirects to the Mac OS X page, where a Messages beta cannot be found.

It's likely that Apple is now happy with how beta testing has gone, and that it has already prepared a final release that will launch alongside Mountain Lion in July.
Apple has not removed the download entirely, however, as it is still accessible via direct download (63.8 MB). It is unknown how long Apple will continue hosting the download, but text strings found within the app earlier this year suggest that the app itself will expire once OS X Mountain Lion is released and Messages will be a Mountain Lion exclusive.

messages_mountain_lion.jpg

Apple announced yesterday that OS X Mountain Lion will launch in July and be priced at $19.99 through the Mac App Store. Users of Snow Leopard and Lion will be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion for the same price.

Users of the Messages beta for Lion have complained of a number of issues including crashes and problems with syncing across devices, failure to send, and disappearing messages. Many have been hoping for an update to address some of these issues, but it appears that Apple is focusing its Messages efforts on the final version it plans to include with OS X Mountain Lion.

Article Link: Apple Removes Links to Messages Beta for OS X Lion, Still Available via Direct Link

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
After using Messages Beta for a week, I ended up uninstalling it. Kept getting a red badge "1" on the dock icon that wouldn't go away.

This happens for everyone. But I like it too much to justify uninstalling it. I agree, however, the badge is annoying.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I've encountered some weird quirks too. Overall, I like it a lot. I've been using it as a replacement for Yahoo! since the day it was released in Beta.

The only feature that I really miss is the ellipses when someone is in the middle of typing. I wish that worked with Yahoo!.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
GET YOUR MAC MERCHANDISE HERE!!

:apple: Buy Apple "I'm a mac" T-Shirts here :apple:
:apple:

Guess where I think you should stick your MERCHANDISE!!!

----------

I've encountered some weird quirks too. Overall, I like it a lot. I've been using it as a replacement for Yahoo! since the day it was released in Beta.

The only feature that I really miss is the ellipses when someone is in the middle of typing. I wish that worked with Yahoo!.

I liked the concept... it is terrible at staying synced.

Last edited by a moderator:

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
I downloaded it yesterday then my computer just broke. The spotlight search no longer came up with any result. System extremely slow even the graphic refresh with like 2fps (browser). I can see the graphic loading pause then resume as the system pauses. FaceTime camera not working in any app. I was shocked. Immediately uninstalled and all was fine again.

(2011 MBP 15 inch 8gb 256gb SSD, lion)

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Stinks that the Beta will be inoperative eventually, because my girlfriend's Mac Mini won't be able to update to Mountain Lion and she's getting alot of use out of Messages.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Stinks that the Beta will be inoperative eventually, because my girlfriend's Mac Mini won't be able to update to Mountain Lion and she's getting alot of use out of Messages.

I bet they charge .99 for it and put it on the MAS, like facetime.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I love iMessage. It's a game changer. While it had a few hiccups early on, of late, it has been working flawlessly.

I,ve been keeping in touch with a lot of people so much more easily than with other chat clients. Not having to login or know others details is a small step, but it does wonders for reducing friction.

I REALLY hope it hangs around for Lion users.

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
Had real issues with the Beta of Messages.

Anyone trying to send me a message was getting a not delivered from their iOS device.

Happened twice (Only after I rebooted my iMac - which isn't very often) and went away after uninstalling Messages.

But as people have said - its great carrying on those messages on a physical keyboard.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Not strictly related but are there any major differences between machines that are supported for Lion and Mountain Lion? I thought the same machines were supported for both.

Glumpfner

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
I'm looking forward to the day when Apple (just to rub it into Microsofts face) decides to sell their next MacOS for 99 cent.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
When I started using this, I had thought all conversations would be mirrored across iOS and Mac devices, but it turns out not to be. Instead, I had split conversations, where I would use Messages on my Mac to send a message, and the reply would be on my iPhone. And the same would happen on the other end, where conversations would appear on their iPhone but not on their iPad.

I gather the issue is that Messages on the Mac can't be associated with a phone number? Is that right? And that this will be changed in Mountain Lion?

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
I liked the theory behind Messages, and the way it was presented. However, in use instead of simplifying instant messaging it has added a layer of complication. Now, if I send an iMessage from my phone to a person, and then switch to messaging from my mac, it doesn't just show up in one stream as advertised; it comes from a separate account. Inevitably I receive back something along the lines of "weird, that last message from you said it came from ******@me.com" Then if I switch back to my phone, obviously it comes from my phone. So I guess it's unified on my end, in Messages, but completely disparate on the receiver's end.

I guess I'm just looking for the day when it's Bob --> Sally instead of Bob (bob@me.com, bob@gmail.com, or 555.555.5555) --> Sally (Sally@me.com, sally@yahoo.com, etc...)

Last edited:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I liked the theory behind Messages, and the way it was presented. However, in use instead of simplifying instant messaging it has added a layer of complication. Now, if I send an iMessage from my phone to a person, and then switch to messaging from my mac, it doesn't just show up in one stream as advertised; it comes from a separate account. Inevitably I receive back something along the lines of "weird, that last message from you said it came from ******@me.com" Then if I switch back to my phone, obviously it comes from my phone. So I guess it's unified on my end, in Messages, but completely disparate on the receiver's end.

I guess I'm just looking for the day when it's Bob --> Sally instead of Bob (bob@me.com, bob@gmail.com, or 555.555.5555) --> Sally (Sally@me.com, sally@yahoo.com, etc...)
This is going to be fixed in iOS 6, but for now the best solution is to have the person you're speaking with iMessage you at the email address associated with your iCloud account (aka your Apple ID). Assuming you have it setup on your phone (General -> Messages -> Receive at -> Add Apple ID as 2nd email address), it'll get pushed to all your devices (iPhone, iPad, MBA, MBP, iMac, etc) and everything will work as it should

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012

Mountain Lion unifies your Apple ID and phone number, so this problem should go away soon. I agree it's sort of a pain now.

That said, Messages on my Mac is excellent. Getting a ton of use out of it with family and friends. I love how conversations are saved on my Mac automatically. Don't have to worry about losing a copy of my conversations on my iPhone.

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
This is going to be fixed in iOS 6, but for now the best solution is to have the person you're speaking with iMessage you at the email address associated with your iCloud account (aka your Apple ID). Assuming you have it setup on your phone (General -> Messages -> Receive at -> Add Apple ID as 2nd email address), it'll get pushed to all your devices (iPhone, iPad, MBA, MBP, iMac, etc).

Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification! I've been pretty disappointed with how complicated things have become with separate accounts for iTunes, iCloud, Messages, etc. The solution in the story you linked seems a lot more apple-like; why should I have to worry about defragging my accounts any more than I have to worry about defragging my hard drive?

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
This happens for everyone. But I like it too much to justify uninstalling it. I agree, however, the badge is annoying.

Ditto. That annoyed the hell out of me, but it hasn't happened in a good while now. Did they finally implement a server-side fix, or is it still happening for you folks?

Even with that, it was too useful to abandon.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Do you think the real version (not beta) will be available for direct download? I wanted to wait on Mountain Lion but I use iMessage a lot. The beta is buggy as hell.

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Looking forward to actual release - the joining of the phone number and Apple ID as one entity has been something I've been after for ages! No more dual conversations from different devices etc.

Also looking forward to my Messages app icon not telling me I have one unread message. Been like that since day 1.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
For adding "just another" chat service - namely their own iMessage service - and doing a little facelift over iChat, the Messages app was extremely buggy for me. Still having it installed for having the benefit of sending iMessages but actually don't like how it feels and works. Hope they get it right for the final version…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.