Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

retinambp.jpg

One day after its release at WWDC, Apple has already issued a software update for the MacBook Pro (Retina).

The update, which weighs in at mere 1.26MB, fixes an issue with the trackpad being intermittently unresponsive:
About MacBook Pro (Retina) Trackpad Update 1.0

This update addresses an issue where the trackpad may not respond consistently to user input, and is recommended for all MacBook Pro with Retina display notebooks.

The updater will install in the Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically. Follow the instructions to complete the process.

Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source when running the update.

Article Link: Apple Issues Trackpad Update for Just-Released MacBook Pro (Retina)

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Is it just me or isn't this computer getting way too many updates for a Day 1 device? :eek:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Is it just me or isn't this computer getting way too many updates for a Day 1 device? :eek:

It's normal, they manufactured these machines weeks ago, and they probably found some bugs since then. I guess they're only releasing the updates now to avoid rumor sites going "Apple issues firmware update for unreleased notebook, therefore Retina MBP confirmed!".

MrShoehorn

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
I'd rather get some updates on day 1, then wait weeks or months for fixes from other unnamed companies.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
It's normal, they manufactured these machines weeks ago, and they probably found some bugs since then. I guess they're only releasing the updates now to avoid rumor sites going "Apple issues firmware update for unreleased notebook, therefore Retina MBP confirmed!".

I totally agree. The updates have been around, ready for installation for a while now, they just simply won't open every box and update an already packed MacBook Pro to update before they get to the consumer. (Obviously)

I assume the software updates were available the moment a new owner setup a new MacBook Pro.

Remember buying a new Mac in the past and it only had 10.X.X installed, and you could update it to 10.X.X+2? immediately? This is no different. Although I would guess they already all had 10.7.4 installed and that's probably the minimum OS. They likely will never release a OS X 10.7.5 anyway. If they do, it may be the only other time it get's released after the next major update, remember 10.4.11, it came right after 10.5? Then again, that was a $129 upgrade, today it's only $19.99, so the only reason for 10.7.5 after 10.8 release would be for the original Core 2 Duos that run Lion today but can't run Mountain Lion because of their 32-bit EFI. (I know that's not the main technical reason, but it fits.)

10.7.4 would be the lowest interim update before the next major release since 10.0.4 on June 22, 2001 (11 years ago!). It does appear that we'll see new major updates every year now. :) OS X 10.9 in 2013, 10.10 in 2014, 10.11 in 2015, etc. (When do you see it ending? The end of OS X in 2020 with OS X 10.16? I guess it would be when the keyboard and mouse/trackpad are obsolete.)

somebody else

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
NJ
Updates

Look forward to updating when mine arrives in July! Hopefully by then other applications (Apple or otherwise) will also get revamped for the Retina display.

jjonesx86

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
I bought mine as soon as the store reopened and have been loving it. I thought I was having a performance issue because certain UI actions/transitions were slow (launchpad, mission control, navigating to widgets, etc). This trackpad update has fixed my problems. And yes, I was using the trackpad gestures to control all of those actions so it makes sense. Glad they fixed it quickly.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I downloaded the update via the App Store and finished installing it, but the trackpad update is still shown in Launchpad and under Applications/Utilities.

Is it ok to just delete the 'MacBook Pro Trackpad Update.app' file, or is there another way of doing it? I'm on MLDP4 if it matters. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.