Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj95

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Has anyone been able to test the performance of iOS 6 on the iPhone 4? As in are there any slowdowns compared to iOS 5? Cheers!

meget

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2011
I have iPhone 4. Yeah its a bit slower, one e-mail i tried opening loaded forever. It was plain HTML. Also some apps would take ages to load. It's almost fine m8, i am sure they will work out the bugs bit later but right now its a bit with a sluggish performance but bearable though.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
but its normal for the first beta to be a bit slow,
we should only really get worried once new betas come out and theres no improvements

if by GM time, its still slow i will be skipping it.

jun234

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Hong Kong
The loading or data accessing is a bit slow, but when i scroll though the UI, like in the home screen, it's pretty much smoother than iOS 5.

cwood1009

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Its supposed to be enabled for iphone 4 and ipad 2, but i cant get those to work. It works on a Verizon Iphone 4s.

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Safari is faster

----------

Not sure about FaceTime but definitely a no go for turn by turn on the 4

Features that don't work on iPhone 4:

1. Turn by Turn
2. 3D flyover
3. FaceTime over 3G
4. Siri (now available on the New iPad)
5. Made for iPhone hearing Aids

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
I find iOS 6 faster than my jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 (and 5.1, and 5.0). Scrolling and swipes are smoother all over (except Facebook, which is slow as always),

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
FaceTime over 3g is meant to work on the 4 upwards
remember it will come down to the phone carriers

Yesterday the iOS 6 site said iPhone 4 and above. Today it reads 4S and iPad 2 and above. No FaceTime over 3G on the iPhone 4, so 3G unrestrictor will be used again.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I'll be getting the new iPhone sometime in th New Year, but that was always my plan and nothing to do with Apple, lol. Honest ...

As is mine. I upgrade every two years when my contract runs up which just so happens to be on Apple's cycle of releasing a significantly new iPhone. ;)

I had the 3G then got the 4 and now I'm patiently waiting for the 5.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'd really like to try out this beta. Any devs needing app beta testers? lol

----------

As is mine. I upgrade every two years when my contract runs up which just so happens to be on Apple's cycle of releasing a significantly new iPhone. ;)

I had the 3G then got the 4 and now I'm patiently waiting for the 5.

Same upgrade route as me mate.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yesterday the iOS 6 site said iPhone 4 and above. Today it reads 4S and iPad 2 and above. No FaceTime over 3G on the iPhone 4, so 3G unrestrictor will be used again.
Looks like (now) it actually says iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability--so no go for iPhone 4 (in addition to 3GS) and iPad 2. Things are getting more and more restrictive almost by the minute it seems. :confused:

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
Apple's subtle (or not so subtle way) of enticing you to upgrade to a 4S or 5. :p

... and force all your friends to upgrade as well? Facetime makes even less sense when only 50% of your friends own an iPhone and only 50% of those have the iPhone 4S/5. Why wouldn't Apple allow this on all iOS 6 devices? This and a stable voice-only option could finally make normal costly phone calls expendable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.