Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:47 PM   #26
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
One could imagine that they put on the "New" label for a day, just to let the mac community know that it was "updated".
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Next year is such BS...
Ryth is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:53 PM   #28
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Well at least they said that next year there will be updates. I suppose it wasn't a waste to save some money for this year, I'll simply wait one more year. My 2008 Mac Pro is still blazingly fast.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:53 PM   #29
dbattle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Random View Post
Priorities change. That happens in tech. Desktops aren't as hot as they used to be. Moreover, desktop-workstations really aren't as hot as they used to be.

Vote with your wallet. You've got something inside of a year left to do it.

I wanted to vote with my wallet yesterday but they didn't come out with the new Mac Pro.
dbattle is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #30
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502

Got to admit I feel for the people that where hoping for the update on the MacPro with TB etc. Although I could never afford one I was even gutted!

I like the Retina MBP I have to admit, but felt the store has been left a little fragmented. We have a new AEX but no new AEBS to compliment it. Would have snapped a new AEBS up if it had gotten rid of that horrible power brick.
CplBadboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:56 PM   #31
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Good. Hopefully, this was just intended to be a short-term solution and something a lot better is coming fairly soon. People might be upset if they bought a "new" Mac Pro shortly before even newer Mac Pros came out.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:57 PM   #32
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Next year is such BS...

Makes me glad that I got my 2011 iMac shortly after it was released last year.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #33
madrag
macrumors 6502

This is plain stupid, Apple looks like one of those companies that never released a product and would make a mistake like this (unless they didn't think the public would consider this a non-update )

In my country (Portugal), all the (cough) "updated" Mac Pros are now 200 EUR more expensive, but I've been reading that in the US and other countries it is cheaper?

Can anyone confirm this?
madrag is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:11 PM   #34
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Rather than reposting what I just posted in the feedback thread on the topic of our Buyer's Guide recommendation, I'll just link to it here to explain why we did (and still do) count this as an update.
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Hearing MacRumors point of view on this was very helpful.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:12 PM   #35
OddyOh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Random View Post
Priorities change. That happens in tech. Desktops aren't as hot as they used to be. Moreover, desktop-workstations really aren't as hot as they used to be.

Vote with your wallet. You've got something inside of a year left to do it.
I had a year left about year ago, but my Mac Pro is too slow now. I tried the Hackintosh route at home, aka "The Lost Weekends"...not worth it, and not suitable for a business, but lots of fun for hobbyists, IMO. It was interesting and I learned a ton, but wouldn't do it again.

Fortunately, we're only replacing a single Pro Tools workstation right away (for now, but probably 3 more in the next couple years), so one of these "non-new" Mac Pros should work.

Sounds like the line isn't being discontinued for now, but time (and sales figures) will tell.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:18 PM   #36
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

The fact that they're saying late 2013 makes me sigh and shake my head.

The fact that *I* don't need one until then makes me lol.

Sorry. Just being honest.
jamesryanbell is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:20 PM   #37
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Rather than reposting what I just posted in the feedback thread on the topic of our Buyer's Guide recommendation, I'll just link to it here to explain why we did (and still do) count this as an update.
I said it there and I'll say it again here, there's no way in hell this is an update, even Apple doesn't consider it one as this story attests to.

You guys are just throwing away any credibility you might have slapping this warmed over turd sandwich with a "buy now".
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:22 PM   #38
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastMinuteMike View Post
Totally agree.

This is a serious request, since Apple now doesn't recognize it as an update, I don't think MacRumors should either.

Bring back the old 600+ day count.
Excellent suggestion.

While on one hand, some of the moves Apple pulls is not funny, I must say I've learned not to take them seriously. It's best to just sit back & laugh at some of these bizarre manipulations. Only Apple thinks they're actually outsmarting their customers.

Yes, there's no question they're at the top and bleeding almost everyone for the latest Apple product, yet a huge number of us do realize we're playing the game just to get the products we want, while Apple chortles at us.

It's just the way it is.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:22 PM   #39
petsounds
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Quote:
It can easily be argued that the "new" Mac Pro is a terrible value with outdated specs, but if you are in the market for a Mac Pro and you can't wait many months (maybe a year) for a new update, you might as well buy now.
Your rationale doesn't make sense. If the basis for "Buy Now" is simply that someone is in the market for a Mac Pro, then you could apply that to most any product whose update cycle in unclear. If you want to actually help users, you should replace that with "Best current value: buy used", because that's the truth.
petsounds is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:24 PM   #40
Naaaaak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlcopy View Post
Haha, can we get the buyers guide clock put back to the 600+ day counter instead of starting over with day 1?
Complete with removing the "Buy Now" suggestion.

If the MacRumors Buyer's Guide has any respect at all, they would continue to list "DO NOT BUY" next to the Mac Pros. A good buyer's guide does not suggest, "Buy this because it was recently updated". A good buyer's guide says, "Buy this, because it's actually new and contains value", neither of which apply to these "New" Mac Pros. Paying around $3000 for 2-year-old hardware is against the purpose and spirit of a Buyer's Guide.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #41
ristlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattle View Post
I wanted to vote with my wallet yesterday but they didn't come out with the new Mac Pro.
Same here. Was prepared to go all out.
ristlin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:27 PM   #42
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
Well at least they said that next year there will be updates.
Not really. I don't count a rumored comment from an alleged unnamed apple source as an apple statement.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:27 PM   #43
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2 View Post
I definitely see the logic of MacRumors' stance.
Macrumors and logic in the same sentence?
Oxymoron much?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:30 PM   #44
musio
macrumors 68000

How godam exciting is a redesign? A case doesn't matter. Pros buying care about internals which apple can update anytime. Pros need speed.
musio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:31 PM   #45
Naaaaak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyisgreat View Post
They should just change "New" to "Meh" in the same font so the lulz ensue.
I wish. For one moment that stupid "New" tag caused me to doubt my cynicism and think I was wrong about the Mac Pro. When I clicked the link and read the specs I thought my browser was showing me its cache and I even refreshed everything. Then I came to the realization that the 9 to 5 Mac report was correct and that I was correct.

The new tag was a cruel joke. It might as well have been accompanied with a troll face.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:33 PM   #46
Snypod
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I think they may have got a lot of emails on this subject yesterday... !
I think you're right. They certainly got mine. I sent an email to Tim Cook and gave him (or whoever reads his email) my thoughts on the downturn of their pro hardware and software, as well as the decision to not allow iOS 6 to run on the only two and a half year old iPad 1. Anyone who cares about these things should do the same. Complaining on a blog is fine and all, but it's not as effective as emailing the company directly and voicing your concerns while remaining respectful and concise.
Snypod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:34 PM   #47
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Not really. I don't count a rumored comment from an alleged unnamed apple source as an apple statement.
That's all you'll get from Apple about an upcoming product refresh.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:37 PM   #48
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by musio View Post
How godam exciting is a redesign? A case doesn't matter. Pros buying care about internals which apple can update anytime. Pros need speed.
You're conflating the look of the case with the reason for the redesign.
NAG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:38 PM   #49
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Whoa...

Such a little word, such a big meaning: "NEW"

Apparently Apple agrees: it's not "NEW" enough.

Good.

At least it proves they are paying attention to what people are saying....
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:41 PM   #50
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
That's all you'll get from Apple about an upcoming product refresh.
That's my point - that's just another rumor, we got absolutely nothing from apple about the future of this product.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion