Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idencustom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I went to BB to buy the new 13" macbook air... it's listed as 1199 on best buy, but 1149 with my student discount at apple. The apple rep inside best buy said i would get a $150.00 best buy gift card if I purchased that one with a student ID or student email. Sweet deal.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Last year they did $1149 with a $100 gift card. But you could probably talk to them and go either way.

But yup, sweet deal!

EDIT - Do they have the retina MBP on display yet at BB?

idencustom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
They had the new MacBook in stock?

They just got there while I was there. All except the Retina one....

They were taking down the old display and marking the other previous macs down (I believe the 11" mba from 2011 was marked down to 839).

----------

Yes.. not on their page yet. I took some pictures... and hope they will attach.

idencustom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
here is a pic

here is a pic

Attachments

• 20120612_150354.jpg
    20120612_150354.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 877

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
You get a 100 gift card and 50 off at the Apple store. At BB you get nothing off the price, but 150 BB gift card. The cool thing is that you can use that 150 to buy 175 worth of iTunes gift cards. So, I think you will come out slightly ahead with BB.

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
If only they had the 8gb RAM option...

Agreed. I ordered already but I did so assuming they didn't have that option available. Unfortunate since I don't really need $100 iTunes/app gift card but it's better than nothing since I wanted upgraded RAM.

rygamble

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Agreed. I ordered already but I did so assuming they didn't have that option available. Unfortunate since I don't really need $100 iTunes/app gift card but it's better than nothing since I wanted upgraded RAM.

eBay it, you'll get like $85-$95 for it!

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
eBay it, you'll get like $85-$95 for it!

Really? It is a physical card? I assumed it was just added to my account automatically. I think I will do that then. Thanks for the tip. Does it make any difference that I ordered from Canada? I assume it'll be in CAD rather than USD :S

rygamble

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Really? It is a physical card? I assumed it was just added to my account automatically. I think I will do that then. Thanks for the tip. Does it make any difference that I ordered from Canada? I assume it'll be in CAD rather than USD :S

Yeah, it appears to be an actual card; some are already listed on eBay. And about the CAD vs. USD thing, I have no idea :p

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
You can use the iTunes card. I bet over the course of a year or two you will find a way to buy enough accessories, apps, and other "stuff" to make it useful.

idencustom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
You can use the iTunes card. I bet over the course of a year or two you will find a way to buy enough accessories, apps, and other "stuff" to make it useful.

Personally... i plan on taking the $150.00 best buy gift card and applying it to an iphone 5 purchase.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Personally... i plan on taking the $150.00 best buy gift card and applying it to an iphone 5 purchase.

Good idea :)

But, I already have a 4S, so that won't be happening for me. There are no new Apple toys on the horizon. However, I do need a cable for the projector. I might purchase a couple of apps. If the cases are not unreasonably priced, I could get one. I am sure I will find a way to spend it too!

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada

I buy physical accessories from Monoprice (TB/miniDP to DVI/HDMI/DP for $14...etc.) and obtain most of that stuff from other means. I've only spent $6 on apps (for my iPhone) since I got a gift card at Christmas. When my iPad arrives tomorrow I may start buying more apps but yeah. I could see myself using $20 maybe but not $100.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I buy physical accessories from Monoprice (TB/miniDP to DVI/HDMI/DP for $14...etc.) and obtain most of that stuff from other means. I've only spent $6 on apps (for my iPhone) since I got a gift card at Christmas. When my iPad arrives tomorrow I may start buying more apps but yeah. I could see myself using $20 maybe but not $100.

100 is difficult. I bought Pages, Numbers, and Keynote last year for both devices, so that added up, and then I bought various apps for the iPad. You can get there. But, I suppose it depends on what you are doing with the devices. Relatives never turn down gifts of gift cards :)

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
100 is difficult. I bought Pages, Numbers, and Keynote last year for both devices, so that added up, and then I bought various apps for the iPad. You can get there. But, I suppose it depends on what you are doing with the devices. Relatives never turn down gifts of gift cards :)

I'm sure I could get there but I would have to go out of my way. It's annoying to sell stuff on eBay though/people try to play the "did not receive it" card. I'll decide. I'll probably end up getting lazy and just keeping it, lol.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Last year they pricematched the Appke deal by giving $100 best Buy giftcards. I prefer that over iTunes GCs.

Last edited:

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
I wish i knew about this. I got the MBA yesterday at the edu pricing but i'd much rather have the BestBuy gift card.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I wish i knew about this. I got the MBA yesterday at the edu pricing but i'd much rather have the BestBuy gift card.

I wouldn't worry too much. I bet this is a YMMV type of thing. I would bet that most stores would give you a hard time about it.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I'm sure I could get there but I would have to go out of my way. It's annoying to sell stuff on eBay though/people try to play the "did not receive it" card. I'll decide. I'll probably end up getting lazy and just keeping it, lol.

You can always gift apps to friends too. Wonder if this works for music as well???

tigerin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Can I apply that bestbuy gift card toward my MacBook's bills or use it to reduce my total cost?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.