Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
There is nothing really wrong with Ping, it just wasn't "There", you had to find it.

I think they just forgot about it. If they really believed in it they would have stuck it right in with the "Music" App on the iphone and iPod Touch and let it auto update ping or something else more useful.

Would that have been so hard? Oh well.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Ping was DOA.

Apple services suck. They always have.

Apple needs to concentrate on what it does well. Hardware, and OS. Work with other companies that know the web and services and do what they do best, Dropbox, Google (yes Google), FB, etc...

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
Ping was DOA.

Apple needs to concentrate on what it does well. Hardware, and OS. Work with other companies that know the web and services and do what they do best, Dropbox, Google (yes Google), FB, etc...

Ping failed, yes, but a lot of Apple's other services are very good. iTunes is the best in the market. iCloud is quite amazing and will soon be among the best on the market (if not the best) with the next update.

And yes, they will start working with Facebook and Twitter, so they admit social networking is not their strong point. As for Google and Dropbox? iCloud will trump those. Already has for many users.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Ping was DOA.

iCloud is actually pretty good. Document sync doesn't really do much yet but that should change with the OS update. The App and Music Store is also doing well. Just because Apple is horrible at making social services (e.g. the social features of MobileMe and iWork.com were half baked and then neglected) doesn't mean they can't make services.

Ping's problem was that it was a way to sell you stuff pretending to be a way to share music. Thus, discovery was purely there as a way to sell more stuff (music, tickets).

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Ping failed, yes, but a lot of Apple's other services are very good. iTunes is the best in the market. iCloud is quite amazing and will soon be among the best on the market (if not the best) with the next update.

And yes, they will start working with Facebook and Twitter, so they admit social networking is not their strong point. As for Google and Dropbox? iCloud will trump those. Already has for many users.
I do not consider iTunes a service (like email). It is a store app. To be honest, it's crap. Why is it not available on the web? When it was only music it was pretty amazing, but it really needs an overhaul. It is impossible to "browse". You really need the name of what you are looking for to find it. No video previews of apps...just screen grabs, why? It's useless on iOS unless you know the name of what you want. It's a horrible experience. Try browsing through a list of 200 apps. Select one and read about it, now try going back to where you were....oh, looks like you have to start over. Awful, just awful.

iCloud? You are kidding right? So how exactly does that whole photostream thing work? Nobody seems to be able to explain it. And if all you own is an iOS device (no computer) where do all your pictures go if there is no where to store them in the cloud after 1,000 photos? Dropbox is what Apple always wanted iDisk to be. They turned Jobs down when he wanted to purchase them. Google knows services. GMail rarely goes down and when it does, everyone knows it and is restored in a matter of hours. That can't be said for Apple's Mail service - whatever it's called now (iTools, DotMac, DotMe, iCloud). It can go down and you never hear a peep out of Apple.

They need to stick to what they know. Great hardware and great OS.

Last edited:

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
I liked the idea of following artists and getting updates on new releases, singles, concert dates, and what the bands were up to. But Ping never turned into that. Instead of just felt like a way to get you to see what your friends were listening to and buy the songs off of iTunes.

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
I do not consider iTunes a service (like email). It is a store app. To be honest, it's crap. Why is it not available on the web? When it was only music it was pretty amazing, but it really needs an overhaul. It is impossible to "browse". You really need the name of what you are looking for to find it. No video previews of apps...just screen grabs, why? It's useless on iOS unless you know the name of what you want. It's a horrible experience. Try browsing through a list of 200 apps. Select one and read about it, now try going back to where you were....oh, looks like you have to start over. Awful, just awful.

iCloud? You are kidding right? So how exactly does that whole photostream thing work? Nobody seems to be able to explain it. And if all you own is an iOS device (no computer) where do all your pictures go if there is no where to store them in the cloud after 1,000 photos? Dropbox is what Apple always wanted iDisk to be. They turned Jobs down when he wanted to purchase them. Google knows services. GMail rarely goes down and when it does, everyone knows it and is restored in a matter of hours. That can't be said for Apple's Mail service - whatever it's called now (iTools, DotMac, DotMe, iCloud). It can go down and you never hear a peep out of Apple.

iTunes works quite well for purchasing music. Perhaps not to browse for it, but that's what other "music discovery" apps are for.

For Photostream, the photos store on your device and on iCloud. If you want more space, you pay for it (just like you would pay for more space for Dropbox).

I like iCloud and have never had any problems with the mail account. I agree though, they should be more attentive when it comes to service disruptions -- at least giving updates, etc.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
...Like others have said, it's isolation was the reason it flopped.

Remind me of iChat/AIM... Great app, crappy users network. I used it a lot but none of my non-Mac friends ever used it (or even planned to do so). I was alone in the IM sea... :(

(I know, AIM partnership is the real deal-breaker here but still, Apple choose to team up with AOL).

...Does iTunes even recognise when you've listened to a song on another device?

Yes. But only if you auto-sync your iDevice with it.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
In case anyone uses this (who?) I recommend merging it with facebook completely, since Apple's going in that direction...so if people like it, its preserved, and Facebook does tend to be good at telling people what they want in social media (much to my dismay. I'm not a facebook fan.)

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag

So the Stores are not a service by your definition. Why? Because it is a store? What planet do you live on? And it is crap just because you can't play music via the web (it does have a web interface, you just can't play purchased content on it)? Again, what planet are you on? Lots of services aren't available with a web interface and do fine (such as some email services since email seems to be your benchmark for what a service is). Basically in your entire complaint all I saw was you mentioning wanting video previews of apps and then saying it is horrible several times. App store good. App store good. App store good. There I made three points! As far as navigation, that is limited by device memory. Ever since the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 I've been able to select an app and hit the back button and it remembers the place in the list. And yes, search tends to be the best way to find a specific app as there are so many in the store.

As far as iCloud, mail also rarely goes down (once for me). I have no idea where you're getting the idea that iCloud mail is constantly down because it isn't (check the history). It is like you have amnesia regarding the gmail outage last year. As far as Photostream, do you think the current version is trying to be a photosharing service? Because it isn't (not until the update that is coming). As far as Dropbox and iDisk. Yes Dropbox is better than iDisk (mostly because iDisk was using crappy webdav). But iDisk ≠ iCloud. Why the heck are you bringing up an iTools, dotMac, and MobileMe feature?

It is like you don't want admit that the future is going away from the file centric metaphor. Everyone is getting rid of it. Apple is obviously the most aggressive against the filesystem in the sense of iOS and Document Sync (which works well in iOS 5). They're being a bit slow in OS X but they're making the first steps in 10.8 because they know it is going to be a rough transition. Microsoft seems to be just flat out forcing people with Windows 8 by relegating Explorer into an environment similar to Classic. DropBox loses one of their main features if the file system as a focus goes away. They won't die, they have lots of apps with DropBox integration but you won't be going to the DropBox app to open a file in an app.

Last edited:

JCanfield

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
What's photostream for?

Qoth from skellner: iCloud? You are kidding right? So how exactly does that whole photostream thing work? Nobody seems to be able to explain it. And if all you own is an iOS device (no computer) where do all your pictures go if there is no where to store them in the cloud after 1,000 photos? Dropbox is what Apple always wanted iDisk to be. They turned Jobs down when he wanted to purchase them. Google knows services. GMail rarely goes down and when it does, everyone knows it and is restored in a matter of hours. That can't be said for Apple's Mail service - whatever it's called now (iTools, DotMac, DotMe, iCloud). It can go down and you never hear a peep out of Apple.

I'll try. Photostream, at its simplest, synchronizes my pictures between my devices. When I take a picture from my iPhone and I'm within range of an access point, the photo is automatically copied from my iPhone to iCloud and, if I have my iPad, it's synched from iCloud to my iPad. When I'm working with images from my digital camera in Aperture, I can choose to have them uploaded to iCloud where they will be copied to other registered devices - including my Macbook - so I can look at them there, too. If I've copied the images from my camera to my iPad in the field, I can also import from iCloud into Aperture.

Because pictures are automatically synched between all devices, I can use my iPad as an portfolio when I want to show someone pictures that I've taken without worrying about whether I've copied them there. It's quite nice, actually

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I used it once, then after I bought an album from Chet Baker, it invites me to follow him... Creepy ;)

lol, ping the stalker.

----------

Agreed. There is no excuse for the monumental failure that is Google+

the problem I have with google products is that they don't feel like integrated services. It all feels like beta software to me, i just don't enjoy google services.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
lol.........iTunes.

Seriously. I haven't launched iTunes since... October of last year. And that was only to speed up migrating from my 3GS to my 4S.

Spotify FTW

For me to resume using iTunes... I don't know what Apple would have to do to make me go back.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win".
Sun Tzu :apple:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I really liked the idea behind Ping, and wanted it to succeed, but the audience's lackluster response to Steve pretty much sealed its fate. It went from "so what?" to "why bother?"

----------

lol, ping the stalker.

----------

the problem I have with google products is that they don't feel like integrated services. It all feels like beta software to me, i just don't enjoy google services.

In fairness, Gmail is MUCH better than other services like yahoo! mail.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
lol... I didn't even realize Ping was still around. :eek:

You know, all you have to do to indicate you agree with a post is click the little up arrow next to it. You don't have to quote the whole thing as a reply. We already read it already.

+1

(just kidding). :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.