Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in mid-May, a pair of Geekbench 2 benchmarks that claimed to be from unreleased MacBook Pro and iMac models appeared, setting off speculation that updates to both lines might be imminent if the entries were indeed legitimate. But with Apple not updating the iMac earlier this week at its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, those looking for an upgraded all-in-one desktop Mac have been left waiting.

With updated MacBook Pro models reaching the public, Primate Labs highlighted some of the benchmarks yesterday, and the details for the non-Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro match up nearly exactly with what appeared in the entry from last month, all but confirming that it was indeed a legitimate leak.

Now with that information in hand, it pays to revisit the iMac benchmark that appeared around the same time, and while the two benchmarks aren't necessarily linked, it could generate hope that an updated iMac may still be right around the corner. The iMac benchmark referred to an "iMac13,2" model running a 3.4 GHz Core i7-3770 quad-core processor with 4 GB of 1600 MHz RAM, and while it is possible that the information could have been faked, Primate Labs previously reported that it believes the entry to be legitimate.

geekbench_imac132.jpg

Further fueling speculation of a near-term iMac update is recent confusion in which it was initially reported that Apple representatives had told reporters that new iMac and Mac Pro models would likely be arriving in 2013. But following publication of those reports, Apple press relations staff specifically clarified those remarks to note that only the Mac Pro would be seeing the 2013 update. The assumption related to that clarification is of course that an iMac update is very likely to come sooner than the end of this year.

It has already been over 400 days since the iMac was last updated, and Ivy Bridge processors appropriate for the iMac have been available since late April. Consequently, it seems likely that the iMac will still be receiving an update in the relatively near future despite not making an appearance at this week's conference.

As for what improvements the next-generation iMac will see beyond Ivy Bridge, at least one mainstream news report has claimed that Apple is working on Retina displays for the iMac, although we previously analyzed how daunting of a task it would be to support four times the number of pixels found on the current models, particularly on a 27-inch display. Other sources have claimed that Apple is working on anti-reflective glass for the iMac, rumors that may have gained some support with Apple having touted this week that the Retina MacBook Pro's display produces 75% less glare than non-Retina models.

Article Link: iMac Update Might Be Coming Sooner Rather Than Later

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This would make sense considering the processor and core changes to the Macbook line, and how both the Macbook and iMac share similar architectures to begin with.

I am totally in the market for a new iMac to replace a G5 system at my Parent's house, but I really would like to have the inclusion of USB3 and other tweaks.

Really hoping the 'sooner' is within a month or two!

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Now i've got to choose between waiting for the iMac or jumping on the retina macbook. first world problems.

The MBP's were scoring 12,300 so how do they compare speed wise? the pro will be quicker than the iMac??

hmmm

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
That's what I posted yesterday. I demand ROYALTIES!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15019854#post15019854

I am expecting the 2013 iMac redesign to include a high-resolution panel, the vibrating pen patent as an extra input device and the foldable iMac patent thrown together. This will be a direct attack and answer to MS's Metro interface.

http://www.cultofmac.com/169875/what...of-everything/

In 2012 I am expecting a spec bump to USB 3, Ivy Bridge and Nvidia for the iMac. It would be silly to keep the specifications different from the MBP

Last edited:

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Imagine a retina display with those pixel numbers. that would be insane!

I'm also pleased with all these Mac rumors we have been seeing :)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Makes perfect sense to me.

Small spec bump this summer. Ivy Bridge + Kepler.

Possible redesign next year.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Now i've got to choose between waiting for the iMac or jumping on the retina macbook. first world problems.

The MBP's were scoring 12,300 so how do they compare speed wise? the pro will be quicker than the iMac??

hmmm

I'd like an idea to. Maybe you can compare the old MBP to the iMacs and see?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wait. I apparently didn't read the comments too closely yesterday. There were actually people who thought that news meant there would be no iMac updates until the bigger change next year?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
It doesn't have to be pixel-doubled to be Retina. It'll only take a small-moderate bump in resolution to get iMacs to the pixel density needed to be "retina". That goes for the Thunderbolt display as well.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I've had MacBook pro 17 inchers for 5 years now. But this is what I want to upgrade to: iMac 27" retina with 16gb memory and desktop class processor. It'll beat the pants off my first gen i7 mbp.

07dodge

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
As long as it's out by the time school starts again, I'll be happy. Honestly I'd be happy with the current, but that would suck to buy and a month later the new one is out.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
I'd rather purchase an end of line upgraded iMac this year than wait for the supposed 'fantastic' revamp that in the offering for next year.

I've never been a early adopter, preferring any significant issues are removed before getting my hands on one - the current design suits me fine, the LCD issues are known - a big pain to get repaired - but known at least, and it works just fine - so, a move to Ivy Bridge, better GPU - I hopes its actually another AMD - and perhaps support for USB3 makes for quite a good machine - one actually that should last out its AppleCare warranty.

Still, I won't get excited anymore, after all the let downs of the past 4 weeks, its just wait and see - if Apple fail to upgrade, I'll spend a similar amount on a Hackintosh with top end GPU and 'K' class i7 processor - not sure what I'll do about FW800 support though?

BobCollins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Sunnyvale CA USA
Why do we still need the iMac?

For those of you who are anxiously awaiting an update of the iMac, I have a different question: why? What does it do for you that a MacBook Pro and a display would do for you?

I don't see any features that the iMac has that the MacBook doesn't have. Please educate me.

I have a several year old iMac that had its hard disk fail. Repairing it was such a miserable task that I just decided to run off an external disk as my main disk. Grrr. With the MacBook Pro (not Air or Retina), maintenance is easy and I wouldn't have has a problem replacing the hard disk.

Unless there is something I am missing here, I cannot imagine buying another iMac.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I hope the iMac with Retina Display will not have soldered memory or SSD.

I want to buy 32GB of RAM from a third party and hopefully upgrade the hard drive past 4TB one day.

Also hope Apple use a serious GPU within the realm of a NVIDIA GTX 670, 680 or even a 690.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
For those of you who are anxiously awaiting an update of the iMac, I have a different question: why? What does it do for you that a MacBook Pro and a display would do for you?

I don't see any features that the iMac has that the MacBook doesn't have. Please educate me.

I have a several year old iMac that had its hard disk fail. Repairing it was such a miserable task that I just decided to run off an external disk as my main disk. Grrr. With the MacBook Pro (not Air or Retina), maintenance is easy and I wouldn't have has a problem replacing the hard disk.

Unless there is something I am missing here, I cannot imagine buying another iMac.

We don't buy to wait for something to break down..you have to send it for repair anyhow son what difference does it make for the UPS man to pickup a iMac or macbook?

Major benefits; screen size (duh)
Cooling
Faster than MacBooks
Cheaper
I/O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.