Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Houstonian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Greetings Everyone,

Happy 17" MBP owner here with about 2.5 years left on my AppleCare warranty.

While I'm pleased to say my Apple products have performed well (save for one incident where AppleCare decided to replace the unit) I am curious as to what AppleCare will do should a 17" MBP need to be repaired or replaced.

While I personally think the new 15" retina MBP looks pretty slick, I greatly prefer the 17" size for a variety of personal reasons, and while I certainly do not doubt Apple would resolve any issues I might have (but hopefully not!) with my 17" MBP, there's a part of me which would be rather disappointed if they decided to replace it with a 15" MBP due to them no longer stocking the various parts needed to service the 17" MBPs.

Obviously I certainly expect my 17" MBP to last for years to come, but I am curious as to how Apple will handle servicing these units covered under the extended AppleCare plan and was wondering if anyone here knows what the precedent is for other discontinued - but still warranted - Apple products.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I thought you were asking if your warranty was affected if you dropped the computer. Heh. Glad I was wrong.

You'll still be covered and they'll still have plenty of parts available. They probably have a decent number of machines that haven't yet been sold, although many of those will be sold through the refurb store most likely. They will continue to service the 17" MBP's for at least the next 3 years without problem.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.