Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbhegedus

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
On my 2011 MacBook Air, it seems to be a lot faster than Lion. The only thing slower is the bootup and shut down times — which are only a few seconds longer, understandable since it's just a first release.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Noticeably faster on my 2008 iMac. Feels like Snow Leopard to me.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Faster or slower than Lion?

I'd wait and see what kind of professional speed tests end up saying with the final version for public consumption.

I have a feeling at least some of the responses to this thread will be from people that may have clogged their Macs with third party applications while still using Lion, and are possibly just experiencing the smooth nature of a fresh install.

I really do hope that it is faster though.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
No it does feel quicker. I did an in-place upgrade on top of a fairly recent clean install of Lion.

Benkovitch

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
real bootup speed of Mountain Lion

Guys,those of you who have installed Mountain Lion,can you please provide a real bootup time ?
Not things like:"i think","i feel"..
I have iMac and MBPRO and both of them bootup very slow with Lion.The question is if it is going to be even worthier with ML ?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Guys,those of you who have installed Mountain Lion,can you please provide a real bootup time ?
I have iMac and MBPRO and both of them bootup very slow with Lion.The question is if it is going to be even worthier with ML ?

I only have a MacBook air, but I have ml and lion dual booted. I can get a stop watch for you if you want.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

I'd love to know that, though it will be very different on each machine. The best would be if people could post comparisons of Lion vs. ML boot times on the same machine.

My Lion MBP boots in about 7 minutes, so I do hope ML will be faster, and I will be reformatting too.

MadMitch89

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I'd love to know that, though it will be very different on each machine. The best would be if people could post comparisons of Lion vs. ML boot times on the same machine.

My Lion MBP boots in about 7 minutes, so I do hope ML will be faster, and I will be reformatting too.

7 minutes? Is that a typo? Have you repaired permissions recently?

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011

How cares about boot speed?We want see "real life" performance

Arctix

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Are you guys comparing the speed from Mountain Lion with older versions of Lion (10.1,10.2,10.3)? Or is it actually faster than the latest Lion update (10.4)?. If it's the latter, I'm going to be very happy as 10.4 is actually already quite fast compared with older Lion releases.

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I tested ML DP2 and it was horrible experience (laggy animations) and graphic artifacts. I did notice better memory managment you describe. Some guys wrote about DP3 that performance is almost the same. I did not test DP4, but it is not worth to install it just before final release of ML.

OS X Lion 10.7.4 is noticeable faster - I tested this with traditional update from 10.7.3 and clean install from the scratch that I recommend - now it is much much better than previous Lion versions on my favourite MBP Early 2008.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
7 minutes? Is that a typo? Have you repaired permissions recently?

Unfortunately I've tried everything except reformatting, and yes it is 7 minutes! That includes like 2-3 minutes of "limbo" after boot, when you can't really do anything, apps will just bounce in the dock.

I'm waiting for Mountain Lion to reformat the whole computer and I guess that should help…

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Are you guys comparing the speed from Mountain Lion with older versions of Lion (10.1,10.2,10.3)? Or is it actually faster than the latest Lion update (10.4)?. If it's the latter, I'm going to be very happy as 10.4 is actually already quite fast compared with older Lion releases.

I don't know where you're getting 10.4. Lion is 10.7.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
7 minutes!? Something is clearly wrong with that--there has to be a kernel driver that is hanging (perhaps a hardware failure of a certain device, like bluetooth or wifi) or filesystem corruption. My MBP boots 10.7.4 in under 30 seconds, and that is with a physical HDD, not an SSD.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
How often are people shutting down their computers to care about boot times?

This ^^ I have had my MBP for about 2 months and have shut it down once lol.

I want a snappy desktop while using it. Boot times really do nothing for me. If I need to boot up I can go grab a drink or something and come back and good to go.

Plus I am really pumped for the Imessages feature

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I did a clean install of Mountain Lion when I got my SSD and it boots in about 7 seconds. It feels faster than lion too.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.