Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentonchina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I'm hoping to recover a .docx file that contained notes and an audio recording from a meeting. I saved the file to my Desktop at the beginning of the meeting, as I usually do, and saved (cmd+s) several times throughout the meeting. Later, once home, I tried to close Word and was told something like "only system files can begin with a "." please choose another name and save again." The file name was not unordinary: "board meeting_2012-06-12_text + audio.docx" So, I saved it it in a sub-folder of my Documents folder with the same file name. When I tried to close the document again I received the same error message. I was antsy and figured it didn't apply to me, since I had already saved the file (multiple times), and so I chose "Do not save." The file now shows up in my "Recent Files," but it can't be located. It also does not appear in my Word Autorecovery folder, in the Trash, or in a global search of my system. I've also done a global search for all files, looking for files that were edited at that time and none appear. Any reason for hope?

I use Word for Mac 2011 version 14.1.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.