Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Flitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR999 View Post
Android has always done this. Fail
This line of thinking is stupid.

I don't use Android. I couldn't care less what they do or don't do.

If it's added to iOS, then fine. I'm not sitting there going "hm, I'm going to base my like or dislike on this feature based on whether or not a phone I don't even use has".

Get over yourselves, Googlebots and Fandroids.
Flitzy is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:22 PM   #27
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfac View Post
Doesn't make any difference because Facebook plays too fast and loose with private data. Apple may secure it, and FB will just give it away... and then say, "Whoops!"
And this is why I will not be activating FB integration on my phone .

(Though it would piss me off if my phone noticed me logging into the web on FB and activated for me.. though I think if Apple were smart they would not do that cause that would raise a huge stink I would think).
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:23 PM   #28
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clukas View Post
a lll these security popups in ios6 and mountain lion remind me of

which apple criticised so heavily in vista.
You're not very creative. I bore of seeing posts like these. The problem with UAC wasn't its existence, it was its implementation. Cancel or allow every single time you launched certain programs with no way for an average user to whitelist a program without completely disabling the security of UAC.

Apple's security features are implemented very differently.
paradox00 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:31 PM   #29
cyberlocke
macrumors newbie

I'm OK with this, actually happy. I know the whole privacy issue is more of a concern based on principle than practicality for me, but well . . .
cyberlocke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:32 PM   #30
clukas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox00 View Post
You're not very creative. I bore of seeing posts like these. The problem with UAC wasn't its existence, it was its implementation. Cancel or allow every single time you launched certain programs with no way for an average user to whitelist a program without completely disabling the security of UAC.

Apple's security features are implemented very differently.
ok, perhaps a little exaggeration on my part :roll eyes:.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:32 PM   #31
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clukas View Post
a lll these security popups in ios6 and mountain lion remind me of

which apple criticised so heavily in vista.
I was just about to say that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfetbidVUYw

"Cancel or Allow?"

"Cancel or Allow?"

"Cancel or Allow?"

Launching new apps is going to feel like 2006 all over again.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:33 PM   #32
messiah
macrumors newbie

info request

I don't like this because certain developers gimp the App if they aren't allowed to access your data.... i.e. yahoo messenger for example. my wife likes to use it but once I deny access to my information the app no longer works...
messiah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:33 PM   #33
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I don't mind grabbing Facebook contact information but I don't want to upload any contact information into Facebook. I am glad this can be restricted.
BornAgainMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:34 PM   #34
bawbac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC1709 View Post
apple is retarded, i hope the company fails but that doesn't look like it will happen. So many lives ruined because of their garbage
bawbac is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:37 PM   #35
cyberlocke
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress666 View Post
And this is why I will not be activating FB integration on my phone .

(Though it would piss me off if my phone noticed me logging into the web on FB and activated for me.. though I think if Apple were smart they would not do that cause that would raise a huge stink I would think).
Me either, but that's because I deactivated Facebook altogether. Do regret that from time to time though.
cyberlocke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:56 PM   #36
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGuesser View Post
Honestly, ive never felt unsafe ever with my information being sent out. From what I and many others can tell is that the information isnt used maliciously. So I will never understand how people have panic attacks that some random app saw on their calendar they need to pick up milk or something like that
The problem is, we're talking about access to contact information (names, emails, addresses, phones, birthdays, etc) to ALL of your contacts, not just you. Without you or your friends', family's, clients'; etc. permission, they currently can take whatever info they want without asking or you even knowing.

Some consumers just trust companies to do the right thing, but I don't know who these people are or who works for them, so I don't want them to have my or my contacts' info. If you don't care for you personally, I understand completely. But for people who think that's unreasonable for apps to at least let you say yes or no to this, I'm glad I'm not in their address book!
autrefois is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:02 PM   #37
mjtomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobybiggs View Post
apple secretly tracked you and sold your info ... both points moot
#1. It wasn't a secret, it was in the EULA.
#2. They didn't actually track you, they used your current location to locally cache position information to speed up location services.
#3. They didn't sell your information to anyone, nor have they ever been accused of doing so.

As a result of all the brouhaha, Apple lessened the amount of the information cached and I believed encrypted it.

But you go ahead and justify continuing using Google anyway you can. If it makes you feel better, good for Google.
mjtomlin is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:02 PM   #38
chrmjenkins
macrumors 601

Curious how much an average user's data usage will go down if all these settings are disabled.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:12 PM   #39
rams
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to rams
installed the beta yesterday - and all i can say it's freakin sweet!
rams is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:14 PM   #40
Metalmorphed
macrumors member

I would be very interested what they are using it for, not just that they want to. Nice addition though
Metalmorphed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:15 PM   #41
Nostromo
macrumors 65816

One of these practical things you love about Apple's interfaces and usability.
Nostromo is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:17 PM   #42
ixxx69
macrumors newbie

I applaud this, but... it seems like a bigger problem than individual responsibility... I have no control over the hundred other people that have my contact info in their address books.

I can deny all the apps on *my* iOS device access to *my* address book, but it only takes a few less savvy (or thoughtful) acquaintances to let some app upload *their* address book that contains *my* contact info.

This is an area where we really need stronger consumer rights laws that would prevent companies from data mining personal information of non-customers contained in the data of their actual customers.

Of course that won't happen because the U.S. government is much more interested in protecting corporation "rights" than those of actual people.
ixxx69 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:37 PM   #43
hot spare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitzy View Post
This line of thinking is stupid.

I don't use Android. I couldn't care less what they do or don't do.

If it's added to iOS, then fine. I'm not sitting there going "hm, I'm going to base my like or dislike on this feature based on whether or not a phone I don't even use has".

Get over yourselves, Googlebots and Fandroids.
So it's ok to copy from Android. Time for Apple to stop copying and create something innovative for a change. Don't tell me this is the only way to use permission. Same for maps. Looks exactly like Google maps. About 150billion in cash, and they can't create a single innovative map interface. It's as if they copied the whole google map and just changed the name. The colors, the buildings, the roads all look same as shown by Google maps. Be different. Don't tell me it's a map, how else they can make it? Obviously they can make it different if they tried..
hot spare is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:39 PM   #44
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Good move IMO. This will put an end to any apps leaking data and make users responsible for their choices.
I agree
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:43 PM   #45
Dionte
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Dionte
It's amazing how many apps want access to my contacts that i had no idea was reading them.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:53 PM   #46
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot spare View Post
So it's ok to copy from Android. Time for Apple to stop copying and create something innovative for a change. Don't tell me this is the only way to use permission. Same for maps. Looks exactly like Google maps. About 150billion in cash, and they can't create a single innovative map interface. It's as if they copied the whole google map and just changed the name. The colors, the buildings, the roads all look same as shown by Google maps. Be different. Don't tell me it's a map, how else they can make it? Obviously they can make it different if they tried..
What does any of this have to do with the point? I care if an iPhone works well and does the things I need at a price I find fine.

What kind of whiny twit would not buy an iPhone (or dislike a feature!) only because it has similarities to another device they won't buy and don't use?
Carouser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:57 PM   #47
skellener
macrumors 65816

I will use this as much as I use the integrated Twitter feature ... that is....NEVER!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:07 PM   #48
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
It's amazing how many apps want access to my contacts that i had no idea was reading them.
A lot of people mistakenly think that Apple's vetting of apps for bugs somehow guarantees privacy as well.

It seems quite likely that a number of iOS apps have been collecting our contact info. Probably smaller ones, mostly, but one blogger claimed the developers of popular apps do as well.

The majority of big name apps don't seem to grab all the contacts. Article here about the ones that do and don't.

The whole trouble with blanket permissions like this is that they don't tell us what the app is really doing with the data. Sure, you want to give some apps access to contacts to help you, but not to transmit elsewhere. Perhaps there needs to be some kind of system log of transmissions that can be read by info-aware testers. Of course, if the data is encypted, that doesn't help.

As always, it boils down to how much you trust the app's source.

Last edited by kdarling; Jun 14, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
kdarling is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:09 PM   #49
hypnos58
macrumors newbie

I am sick and tired of every app web page and now ios 6 being embroiled with assbook enough already.
hypnos58 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:17 PM   #50
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502

Does this pave the way for the Pebble watch to be fully compatible with the iPhone in terms of sending data to the watch via its app? Cause that would be awesome.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion