Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Sweet 6 pound 8 ounce baby Jesus! That voltage monitor is an awesome idea!!!

EDIT: ok, I just noticed that they come in different voltages, make sure you buy a compatible one for the battery you get.

It plugs into the other wires that are already on the battery...

I'm going to give this one a try for $4, it can tell me the voltage for each cell (to balance them) and the overall total voltage.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...2_8S_Cell_Checker_with_Low_Voltage_Alarm.html

The one I posted should work just fine, it measures within the correct voltages. If you want to leave the monitor on the pack the whole time the more expensive one might be a little better because of the power saving mode.

Also I edited my post from above adding a question about how you charge your pack.

EDIT: Never mind, you saw my edit. Thanks!

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I'm also making a cigarette lighter USB power adapter for my iPad, what I think I'm going to do is make a wire that goes from one connector to two so I can plug my AIR into one connection and iPad into the other one. The 4mm bullet connectors come in a 10 pack for under $4. Right now I used temporary radio shack bullet connectors and clip the charger alligator clips to them.

Here is a cigarette lighter USB that I think would work perfectly with what you are trying to do. It is very slim and 2A so it will charge your iPad and won't add much bulk to your battery pack.

Edit: Forgot to add the link haha.

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Here is a cigarette lighter USB that I think would work perfectly with what you are trying to do. It is very slim and 2A so it will charge your iPad and won't add much bulk to your battery pack.

Edit: Forgot to add the link haha.

I just found this one with 2 USB outlets so I can run an iPhone and iPad at the same time, it is 10w which is what the iPad needs to charge at a decent rate.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Dual-Heavy-Ouput-Charger/dp/B006SU0SX0/ref=pd_cp_e_3

The more I think about this I might just make a cord with the 4mm bullet connector on one end and a female cigarette lighter plug on the other end so I can have more options of stuff to plug in, I have another phone with a regular car charger that I could now also use this way...

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I just found this one with 2 USB outlets so I can run an iPhone and iPad at the same time, it is 10w which is what the iPad needs to charge at a decent rate.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Dual-Heavy-Ouput-Charger/dp/B006SU0SX0/ref=pd_cp_e_3

The more I think about this I might just make a cord with the 4mm bullet connector on one end and a female cigarette lighter plug on the other end so I can have more options of stuff to plug in, I have another phone with a regular car charger that I could now also use this way...

That would work good but might add a bit too much bulk and will no longer fit neatly into your laptop pocket!

My idea is to hard wire the magsafe and usb charger to the battery and leave the two female bullet connectors open so I can just plug in the charger without having to unplug anything. Maybe add a switch in the line for the usb charger because I know those cigarette adapters draw a little power even while they are not in use.

Last edited:

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Kudo's for the pics and info, really a sweet deal for the money. I was wanting to verify the numbers but i think in a 13" MBA (2012) it has a 50Watt battery, which I think converts to a 13,500mAh battery. So two of the 9800's would be very compact and be an awesome back up system.

Thanks again for the post and information on how to set them up!

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Kudo's for the pics and info, really a sweet deal for the money. I was wanting to verify the numbers but i think in a 13" MBA (2012) it has a 50Watt battery, which I think converts to a 13,500mAh battery. So two of the 9800's would be very compact and be an awesome back up system.

Thanks again for the post and information on how to set them up!

Hmmm, that would be more than double the battery size that the 2011 Air's have which is 6700 mAh but it's at a lower 10 volts. Right????

Bossxii FYI I also live in KC :)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Hmmm, that would be more than double the battery size that the 2011 Air's have which is 6700 mAh but it's at a lower 10 volts. Right????

Bossxii FYI I also live in KC :)

Well I just did a Google search for the conversion. The Apple spec's for the 13" 2012 MBA showed a 50watt battery, I didn't do much searching for the 2011 spec's. However I don't find 13,500mAh out of line considering the iPad 3 now has a 11,400mAh battery in it. They just keep packing more and more in these things :)

The Hypermac batteries not only are a bit more expensive you have to rig the wiring since Apple decided to sue them for including a Magsafe plug. I think I'll be wiring me up a few large batteries for my upcoming trip!

Nice to meet a fellow KC'an? lol or whatever that is. Thanks again!

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Well I just did a Google search for the conversion. The Apple spec's for the 13" 2012 MBA showed a 50watt battery, I didn't do much searching for the 2011 spec's. However I don't find 13,500mAh out of line considering the iPad 3 now has a 11,400mAh battery in it. They just keep packing more and more in these things :)

The Hypermac batteries not only are a bit more expensive you have to rig the wiring since Apple decided to sue them for including a Magsafe plug. I think I'll be wiring me up a few large batteries for my upcoming trip!

Nice to meet a fellow KC'an? lol or whatever that is. Thanks again!

I welcome all input and appreciate all the discussions as it is a learning process but are you sure the new 2012 Air has a 13,500mAh battery? Can you provide a source?

Last edited:

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
So, I've placed an order in Hobby King to build my external battery. But I'm having a hard time to find a MagSafe cable here in France... any tips ??? :rolleyes:

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
you check your eBay for france?

http://shop.ebay.fr/i.html?_from=R4...safe&_sacat=See-All-Categories&LH_TitleDesc=0

I'm sure you can also order a used one from any company in the USA and have them ship it to you.

Yep, thanks... actually I've forgotten to put "affordable" in my previous post :cool:

I've found the complete charger for 20€, so I can cut the cable and put some connectors... but I was willing to spend 5€ for a cable only solution :D

QUESTION : can I take a battery like that in my hand bag for a flight ???

Last edited:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
QUESTION : can I take a battery like that in my hand bag for a flight ???

That was asked on the first page of this thread.
Check european flight rules stuff. I live 15 mins from an airport and I will drive there at one point when I have mine and show them to find out to be sure.

Thanks to the OP for all you help. im not going with the 8000 because I need to order from the german warehouse, and its 105$ which is a bit pricey. Im sticking with a 5000 as a first run.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Flightmax_5000mAh_5S1P_30C_DE_Warehouse_.html
I wont use it all the time so I dont think the price of the 8000 is worth it for me.
Problem is I cant find any 5.5mm bullet connectors on german ebay or amazon, and hobbyking doesnt have any in the german warehouse.
I have a magsafe cable, 3 actually, because a friend was going to through out 3 broken magsafe chargers. I took em :p I knew they would come on handy at one point :)

Found some: http://www.ebay.de/itm/160804560426?redirect=mobile
Do you think they will work?

Last edited:

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
that was asked on the first page of this thread.
check european flight rules stuff. i live 15 mins from an airport and i will drive there at one point when i have mine and show them to find out to be sure.

Thanks to the OP for all you help. im not going with the 8000 because I need to order from the german warehouse, and its 105$ which is a bit pricey. Im sticking with a 5000 as a first run.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Flightmax_5000mAh_5S1P_30C_DE_Warehouse_.html
I wont use it all the time so I dont think the price of the 8000 is worth it for me.
Problem is I cant find any 5.5mm bullet connectors on german ebay or amazon, and hobbyking doesnt have any in the german warehouse.
I have a magsafe cable, 3 actually, because a friend was going to through out 3 broken magsafe chargers. I took em :p I knew they would come in handy at one point :)

Found some: http://www.ebay.de/itm/160804560426?redirect=mobile
Do you think they will work?

I don't see the plastic case that goes around them, you might want to order the 10 pack of 4mm connectors and cut off the 5.5mm ones and put the 4mm ones on the battery from hobby king, your not going to discharge this battery at a super high rate so it won't really matter if they are a little smaller.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I don't see the plastic case that goes around them, you might want to order the 10 pack of 4mm connectors and cut off the 5.5mm ones and put the 4mm ones on the battery from hobby king, your not going to discharge this battery at a super high rate so it won't really matter if they are a little smaller.

Yeah I was wondering about that. I dont want to modify the battery incase I need to return it or something.
What about these, I know its in german, but judge by the pic. Its two 5.5mm connectors and 2x2 shrink rubber things as cases. Good enough?http://www.ebay.de/itm/JETI-model-A...RC_Modellbau&hash=item25719c7957#ht_642wt_728
5.5mm just dont seem to exist with cases. 3.5,4,6 yes, but not 5.5 :(
You think this charger is adequate? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5548__IMAX_B6_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html
Oh and would you recommend a 25C or 40C battery.
Sorry for the many questions. Just don't feel like having a hassle about returning and stuff if something doesn't work, or is the wrong component.

Last edited:

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I welcome all input and appreciate all the discussions as it is a learning process but are you sure the new 2012 Air has a 13,500mAh battery? Can you provide a source?

My bad on the math... oops. It's actually more like a 6700mAh battery. Apple lists it as a 50 Watt/hour battery and I mis calc'd the voltage.

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
WOW !

If we're getting into the LiPo battery world I advise you to read this post, really! Don't underestimate this, your house can get burnt !!! :eek:

Complete Guide to Lithium Polymer Batteries

Understanding RC LiPo Batteries

I like to live on the edge! :) he he he

Seriously, it's what Apple uses for the factory Air's battery, if it bothers anyone they can order a different type of battery, there are lots of options of battery types on hobby king.

I do know the old Li-Po technology was hit and miss, today things are very stable if done right, just use the proper charger. :)

Last edited:

prnoct90

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I want build this but with focus of it being as light as possible. I bought the new 11" MacBook air for the reason of keeping it light, so what is the best, lightest battery that has the same capacity as that in the MacBook air (so I can just double it's runtime)?

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I want build this but with focus of it being as light as possible. I bought the new 11" MacBook air for the reason of keeping it light, so what is the best, lightest battery that has the same capacity as that in the MacBook air (so I can just double it's runtime)?

get the one I bought, the 4400 mAh one, you probably could go with the 3000 mAh one that I provided a link to but for another $9 and very little weight and size your have the extra juice...

Here is the thing, after you buy the charger and mag safe wire the batteries are cheap and plug and play...Take your pick

prnoct90

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
get the one I bought, the 4400 mAh one, you probably could go with the 3000 mAh one that I provided a link to but for another $9 and very little weight and size your have the extra juice...

Here is the thing, after you buy the charger and mag safe wire the batteries are cheap and plug and play...Take your pick

I was thinking more 2200 mah but I can't seem to find one that is the right voltage?

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Here is what you're looking for: Zippy 2200mAh

Try searching the website, you want a 4S (4 Cell / 14.8V) battery ;)

thanks man, he needs to remember to order the correct plug for the one on the battery, it is different than the 4mm bullet connectors.

this one is half the size of the battery I showed in my pic

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
So I just ordered everything to make a battery. I went with this 5000 mAh battery because it was only $23 and it is a hard case so will be a little more protected. When I receive everything and make this battery I will post my results. Thanks again for the idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.