Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

Has the yellow tint issue been resolved?

Hey all,

I returned my 9th iPad last week after it had a very strong yellow tint. The previous 8 iPads all had various problems, some worse than others... mostly involving the hue of the screen, but also dead pixels, scratches, etc. I was offered a refund and accepted it, and decided to just wait until the iPad 3S or whatever it will be called.

My question is to anyone who has purchased the iPad 3 recently. Did you get a good screen? I'm finding I can't live without my iPad and want to try #10, but I'm already feeling guilty about the whole thing...
Raftysworld is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
Hey all,

I returned my 9th iPad last week after it had a very strong yellow tint. The previous 8 iPads all had various problems, some worse than others... mostly involving the hue of the screen, but also dead pixels, scratches, etc. I was offered a refund and accepted it, and decided to just wait until the iPad 3S or whatever it will be called.

My question is to anyone who has purchased the iPad 3 recently. Did you get a good screen? I'm finding I can't live without my iPad and want to try #10, but I'm already feeling guilty about the whole thing...
If you are that picky, I would wait until next gen when they move to a different screen technology.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Tikatika
macrumors 6502

To OP: I immediately returned my launch day yellow, gray, pink and green splotchy screen new iPad for a full refund.

I waited until the second week in May and purchased one from Best Buy. Week 16, DY serial number. It is without a doubt perfect. Whites are white, screen is bright and clear, no discoloration, yellow or otherwise, anywhere!

Not sure if all of yours were purchased from Apple but perhaps try another source if that's the case?
Tikatika is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502

No issues here. *knocks on wood*
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

Yeah it's definitely on the yellow side but i would probably stick with this one if i got it.

Last edited by maflynn; Jun 14, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Raftysworld is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:34 PM   #6
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing a yellow tint in his screen. Maybe it's different in person. Mine had just a slight yellow tint that only really noticeable on white backgrounds at lower brightness level (less than 50% at least). I tolerated it because it was actually easier on my eyes in the dark. Chef looks pretty flawless to me.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:39 PM   #7
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

If you're going to take that tack, then why shouldn't we ask you to "prove" that you actually returned nine iPads, or have even owned one? Your word on this is no more or less trustworthy than anyone else's. I mean, be fair.

I bought an iPad through Amazon.com from a third party two months ago and the screen is fine as well, no yellowing at all. I even tested it against a white screen out of curiosity.

Last edited by maflynn; Jun 14, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
TheWheelMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
If you are that picky, I would wait until next gen when they move to a different screen technology.
What new technology? They just switched to Retina, that's the latest screen technology.
Rodster is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:00 PM   #9
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
What new technology? They just switched to Retina, that's the latest screen technology.
Retina is a marketing term Apple uses to describe a high resolution screen. Its not really a technology in itself. There are other high resolution display technologies for tablets launching soon.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Justin Luck
macrumors regular

I bought an ipad 3 on launch day, but the yellow and pink blotches on the screen were too distracting for me. I had to go back to my galaxy tab 10.1. The resolution and speed are no where near as good, but the color is 100% uniform with no backlight bleeding or tinting. I've been waiting for apple to get their screen issues sorted out, but because it is still a gamble, I will take a look at the asus infinity and see how it stacks up in performance and screen quality control.
Justin Luck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan View Post
If you're going to take that tack, then why shouldn't we ask you to "prove" that you actually returned nine iPads, or have even owned one? Your word on this is no more or less trustworthy than anyone else's. I mean, be fair.

I bought an iPad through Amazon.com from a third party two months ago and the screen is fine as well, no yellowing at all. I even tested it against a white screen out of curiosity.
I'm not sure how I could prove that, but you can read my post history to see a glimpse into some of it. How bout you go ahead and post a picture of your "white" screen with "no yellowing at all"? I'd love to see it.
Raftysworld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:06 AM   #12
NoMoreSony
macrumors member

Bad color uniformity has something to do with Samsung Retina display technology, used by Apple. After looking at messages in Makbook Pro forum about similar display issues with new Retina Macbook - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387009 and after seeing first pictures of boot screen - we have almost no chances to get perfect screen on new iPads.

Yes, there's a lot of people who suffered by some kind of color blindness and can't see this kind of color tint on iPads screen, even if it clearly visible for us. But, if you unsatisfied with color uniformity of Retina iPad - it's simply mean that your eyes is "not compatible" with current Retina technology and you have to wait to see if next generation Retina display will be better in this regard.
NoMoreSony is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:54 AM   #13
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple was rumored to use IGZO display for iPad 3, but didn't happen due to manufacturing issues. They will prob switch to that display for the next one.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:57 AM   #14
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apple was rumored to use IGZO display for iPad 3, but didn't happen due to manufacturing issues. They will prob switch to that display for the next one.
I think it was because they couldn't make enough of them (IGZO panels) in time for iPad 3
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:11 AM   #15
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
How is that compared to retina on the current new iPad ?
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:05 AM   #16
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSony View Post
Bad color uniformity has something to do with Samsung Retina display technology, used by Apple. After looking at messages in Makbook Pro forum about similar display issues with new Retina Macbook - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387009 and after seeing first pictures of boot screen Image - we have almost no chances to get perfect screen on new iPads.

Yes, there's a lot of people who suffered by some kind of color blindness and can't see this kind of color tint on iPads screen, even if it clearly visible for us. But, if you unsatisfied with color uniformity of Retina iPad - it's simply mean that your eyes is "not compatible" with current Retina technology and you have to wait to see if next generation Retina display will be better in this regard.

This is inexcusable.

Bad enough on a $800 machine, but on a $3000 machine????

Class action lawsuits will abound if apple doesnt fix this crap QC pronto.
Binarymix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:25 AM   #17
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSony View Post
Bad color uniformity has something to do with Samsung Retina display technology, used by Apple. After looking at messages in Makbook Pro forum about similar display issues with new Retina Macbook - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387009 and after seeing first pictures of boot screen Image - we have almost no chances to get perfect screen on new iPads.

This looks pretty disgusting for a nearly $3000 laptop.
Raftysworld is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:05 AM   #18
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Got my iPad on launch day and no issues.

Same with my iPad and iPad 2.

After 9 iPads I think the problem may be you.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarymix View Post
This is inexcusable.

Bad enough on a $800 machine, but on a $3000 machine????

Class action lawsuits will abound if apple doesnt fix this crap QC pronto.
I don't see class action lawsuit's happening, why? Because you can return and ask for a replacement or get a refund. Also there are many MBP users who won't see that as an issue. A select few will but again you can return the product.

Both my iPad's are not perfect but none of the slight issues don't bother me and I wouldn't return them.
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:35 AM   #20
JonMPLS
macrumors 6502a

happy with my pink/blue/white screen

Love the screen. But it has . . .
a blue cast when reading under fluorescent lights
a pink cast when reading outside
almost no cast when reading with incandscent
now off to see how it looks under halogen!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:35 AM   #21
DougFNJ
macrumors 6502

I've had a couple issues with the 3rd Gen iPad, first was yellow, second had dark gray splotches along the top left corner, 3rd had a strobe light effect along the entire left half of the display, all were immediately confirmed defects and swapped out by the Geniuses no questions asked. Annoying to have to go through this to get what I paid for....a great screen. Knock wood, this one is perfect....100% perfect.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:46 AM   #22
r-sparks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMPLS View Post
Love the screen. But it has . . .
a blue cast when reading under fluorescent lights
a pink cast when reading outside
almost no cast when reading with incandscent
now off to see how it looks under halogen!
I think you've hit the nail on the head.

My iPad 3 screen is white in most situations. Today in the car it had a dirty blue hue (it was rainy outside). In the lounge sometimes it can appear pinkish.

It's something to do with reflected ambient light.
r-sparks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:55 AM   #23
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
I don't see class action lawsuit's happening, why? Because you can return and ask for a replacement or get a refund. Also there are many MBP users who won't see that as an issue. A select few will but again you can return the product.

Both my iPad's are not perfect but none of the slight issues don't bother me and I wouldn't return them.
What too many people are forgetting is that, well in the UK anyway, the vast majority of people are nowhere near an Apple store, so they buy their Apple product from high street retailers who carry Apple stock.

They don't have the same 14-day no quibble policy that an Apple store does.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:01 AM   #24
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
What too many people are forgetting is that, well in the UK anyway, the vast majority of people are nowhere near an Apple store, so they buy their Apple product from high street retailers who carry Apple stock.

They don't have the same 14-day no quibble policy that an Apple store does.
I wasn't aware of that but i've read that consumer laws in Europe highly favor the consumer. While the US gets a 1 year warranty, i've read that in the UK some devices get a 2 year warranty.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:36 AM   #25
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
How is that compared to retina on the current new iPad ?
http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad