Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
true doesnt work out of the box but the majority of my movies were downloaded from sites we will remain nameless and it only takes me about 15 minutes to convert to m4v and add the metatags with iDentify...sure its 15 minutes longer than some devices would require to use those AVIs but still not a huge deal

Is that for standard definition files? If thats for hi-def files, I'm gonna send you a hard drive with a load of films I want converting, haha.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Love my WD TV Live which I've had for about 2 years now. It streams 1080P files flawlessly however I generally play them from a local HDD that's connected to my network via the device. Really does play most things that you throw at it and the best thing is DTS audio pass through to my AV Amp (Apple TV can't do that?). You can also "Pimp" the UI using Custom Firmware.

Also have the Apple TV 3 and happy with that for linking all my Apple devices seamlessly but reserve my movies for the WD TV Live.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
The problem with the Mini is that it doesn't do 23.976fps, so if you have one of those new fancy TVs that support it, you don't get the smooth play that you get from a blu ray player.
Can you elaborate on this? Is this the newest Mini? Is the limitation due to the OS that you're running it under (Mac OS?) or the actual hardware? I'm considering getting a Mac Mini (after the new hardware eventually gets released) and would be installing Windows 7 on it as well as XBMC (under Windows). The reason I'd be using Windows is so that I could run Windows Media Center, which is what I use as a DVR.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
This idea seems to have disappeared by the wayside. But whatever happened to attaching a MacMini to a TV and running a Plex client or other client or even iTunes as a client to another iTunes home share idea?

It's a very expensive solution, what $599 for the entry level Mac Mini? I agree that it is the ultimate solution, but it's definitely a pricey solution. I like the WDTV LIVE + NAS Box solution because for the same price as buying the Mac Mini, I also get my NAS storage with 2TB on my network, AND electricity usage is significantly less then running a dedicated computer all the time.

Tekkster

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Logical logical.

It's a very expensive solution, what $599 for the entry level Mac Mini? I agree that it is the ultimate solution, but it's definitely a pricey solution. I like the WDTV LIVE + NAS Box solution because for the same price as buying the Mac Mini, I also get my NAS storage with 2TB on my network, AND electricity usage is significantly less then running a dedicated computer all the time.

Ahhhh, a price vs. alternative/competitive solution issue. Okay. I get it. Makes sense. The fps issue also makes sense but I would imagine fewer people are affected by that issue than the price issue.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
ahh i see, i guess i dont use high profile because it only takes abou 30 minutes or less to rip a dvd for me and its pretty clear but than again im not too picky on resolution i still get dvd quality

I was talking about blu rays, not dvds. Try to recompress a blu ray and see how long it takes you... :D

----------

Can you elaborate on this? Is this the newest Mini? Is the limitation due to the OS that you're running it under (Mac OS?) or the actual hardware? I'm considering getting a Mac Mini (after the new hardware eventually gets released) and would be installing Windows 7 on it as well as XBMC (under Windows). The reason I'd be using Windows is so that I could run Windows Media Center, which is what I use as a DVR.

It's the Mini from summer 2011 I think it's the newest. I don't know if it's hardware or software, it just doesn't work in Mac OS. It doesn't do 23.976fps natively over HDMI.

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
My system has the iTV3 - mainly for Netflix - Netflix has a great UI on the Apple - my 10-year old daughter loves it. I've cancelled Direct TV. Highly recommend the iTV3.

About the Apple UI however, it is (as with everything Apple) a locked-down POS which shovels premium content at you nonstop. Why can't you remove crap you don't use? Why no normal network streaming? Childish. Apple, let's treat users as adults please.

I also have a fully unlocked and upgraded Oppo BDP-93 which plays anything, and I mean anything, and does so with great upscaling and all the various subtitle and audio options. Plays Bluray and DVD discs from any region - and anything downloaded - no problem. Streams over the network, etc etc. I turned my HTPC into a regular PC instead. The Oppo is awesome - perhaps a tad steep at $600 fully modded - but it runs circles around anything else. Serious audio improvement when you play CDs too. Quality costs. My fourth Oppo - I keep buying their latest versions and they've only gotten better and better - even bought one for my mom.

Check it out here http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/ - but you have to look elsewhere to get the region-free Bluray upgrade and unlock.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
About the Apple UI however, it is (as with everything Apple) a locked-down POS which shovels premium content at you nonstop. Why can't you remove crap you don't use? Why no normal network streaming? Childish. Apple, let's treat users as adults please.

One of the main reason I jailbreak, I hate that apple thinks that I am mentally challenged. once Jailbroken (ATV3), you can remove and add menu items as you wish. My UI only Show 3 items (Plex - Internet - Settings), that's it. looks really clean.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
That's a great plan, I thought about doing that myself. My Samsung TV actually has a 3rd party Plex app that I got, but it requires the Plex server to be running on my MacBook Pro. I thought it would be nice to run Plex on my NAS, and then I did the research and found that to do the trans coding of the video you need a NAS that has a newer dual core CPU, like these ones here:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-Diskless-Attached-RNDP400U/dp/B004AM61Y8

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ready...d=1339523939&sr=1-1&keywords=readynas+ultra+2

The Ultra 2, 4, and 6 plus from NetGear have a dual core Intel CPU. I suspect a few other companies are making ones with dual core now that could handle either Plex or XBMC server running on them natively.

Anyone else have good suggestions for NAS that can run Plex without having to have it on a media center PC or server?

Yes those are the only ones I've seen that can do it so far, and i read the transcoding can be a bit slow, so Im waiting for them to upgrade the chips a bit and for NAS to become more popular so it goes down in price a bit.

Only other thing I could think off is a mac mini, but still power hungry and expensive.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Only other thing I could think off is a mac mini, but still power hungry and expensive.

You can build your own NAS or HTPC, with enough power to playblack those 1080p mkvs for less than a MacMini, those AMD E-350 motherboards are perfect for that, about 8W of power.

This is the one i got running at the office, with 4TB of storage.

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
One of the main reason I jailbreak, I hate that apple thinks that I am mentally challenged. once Jailbroken (ATV3), you can remove and add menu items as you wish. My UI only Show 3 items (Plex - Internet - Settings), that's it. looks really clean.

You can't use Plex on the current iTV - only the older ones.

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
You can build your own NAS or HTPC, with enough power to playblack those 1080p mkvs for less than a MacMini, those AMD E-350 motherboards are perfect for that, about 8W of power.

This is the one i got running at the office, with 4TB of storage.

Don't even bother with an HTPC - just get the Oppo BDP-93 - silent, compact, and plays anything.

You can hook up an external drive for additional storage. It's an amazing device.

----------

the reason why I said "Once" jailbroken..... :confused:

Dude - get real - get current - get less confused - there is NO jailbreak for the current iTV.
Who cares about the old Apple TVs - they don't have the horsepower.
So what if they can be jailbroken, big deal if they don't have the rendering power.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
"iTV" ??

----------

So what if they can be jailbroken, big deal if they don't have the rendering power.
er, AppleTV 1 with a $40 chd chip .... plenty of rendering horsepower. Raw decrypted blu ray even. Just sayin' for those that like the Apple product.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dude - get real - get current - get less confused - there is NO jailbreak for the current iTV.

Right back at you my friend... please "get real - get current - get less confused", people had been doing that on the original ATV (which was pretty much a mac mini hardware) and on the ATV2 for a long time now, plenty of power there.

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
"iTV" ??

----------

er, AppleTV 1 with a $40 chd chip .... plenty of rendering horsepower. Raw decrypted blu ray even. Just sayin' for those that like the Apple product.

You really don't understand which product is referred to by 'iTV'? That's sad...

I'm focusing on currently sold products - you can't run Plex on gen 1 - and XBMC gets frame drops. So how exactly is that so good? It was good, but not anymore, not with serious video.

The gen 3 iTV is great with Netflix - I have one! It just has a retarded UI that can't be configured. Maybe one day someone will figure out a fix.

I use the BDP-93 for the heavy lifting.

----------

Right back at you my friend... please "get real - get current - get less confused", people had been doing that on the original ATV (which was pretty much a mac mini hardware) and on the ATV2 for a long time now, plenty of power there.

You're changing the subject - you imply there's a jailbreak for gen 3. You are confused.

Anyway, enough yakking with children.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You're changing the subject - you imply there's a jailbreak for gen 3. You are confused.

Anyway, enough yakking with children.

LOL I am not sure at what point i implied such a thing, since I am well aware of the status of the Jailbreak, I said..."ONCE"...jailbroken...meaning... that at the point where the jailbreak is available.. you would be able to do such a thing. ;)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
You really don't understand which product is referred to by 'iTV'? That's sad...

well, I was only pointing out that for someone that seems so knowledgeable and vocal on hacking on it. Maybe knowing the products name would be appropriate.

you can't run Plex on gen 1 - and XBMC gets frame drops. So how exactly is that so good? It was good, but not anymore, not with serious video.
Oh you can't run Plex ? Really ? current xbmc on an atv 1 running a chd chip (as I stated earlier) doesn't get frame drops on raw decrypted blu ray. I am not sure what you meant by "serious video" beyond blu ray that is available to the public. Maybe your running Studio Masters on your setup. If so way to go, I am jealous.

Tekkster

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
StreamToMe and Plex are both awesome

I use stream to me to watch any type of video file on my apple tv. Works great. Air video also does the same.

Funny that someone should mention that.... sometimes, my old computer just can't play certain videos through Plex....sort of fits and starts and sputters along. For these videos, simply switching to StreamToMe allows the video to play. So I have both on my servers and clients.

The reason I don't just drop Plex and use StreamToMe as it's so much more consistent is that StreamToMe, as great as the underlying technology must be, the StreamToMe interface for just flipping around to select content to watch is....well...like using explore in Windows. It works, but is clunky and provides no meta info. Plex has all of that in a great looking UI on the TV.

But you're right....when in trouble and when you know exactly what you want to watch and exactly where it is, StreamToMe is the reliable goto.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
I wish there was a reliable good device that I could install plex or Xbmc. I tried roku 2 and plex is too buggy on it still and roku was crashing too. Boxee is too expensive for what it is. Looks htpc is still the bst way to go...

Plex works great for me on Roku 2. Plays all of our movies and shows encoded for ATV perfectly (and without tanscoding). We switched around 4 months ago and have had nothing but a solid reliable experience, unlike Apple TV. Just miss the slick Netflix UI.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I have a WDTV and it's perfect for me, I rip my DVDs to the videoTS folder (ie 100% quality) and they play back fine on the WDTV all DVD menus, extra features, subtitles everything.

I did seriously consider the aTV but I couldn't work out how to have all the DVD/bluray extras in an organised way in iTunes (using the TV section wasn't an option because, well, you don't want to go to the TV section for a Movie do you?) and the fact I would have to have iTunes on 100% of the time for it to work put me off too.

so now I have organised folders on my HDD which I can navigate from the WDTV, and it's exactly like I got up and put the DVD/bluray into the player, perfect picture quality and perfect sound.

I have an iPhone and if I want a movie or tv show on there Handbrake can mount the videoTS folder and I can convert the main title on a 'as needed' basis, it would be nice to have have a 'perfect' library in iTunes but the WDTV just makes it so much easier and far less time consuming.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009

something like the Sapphire edge HD3 or a Zotac Zbox might be a better solution if you are mainly looking to run Windows, add a few TV tuners and you have your DVR and USB3 HDDs for more storage (which you can then share on the network), you could even put an SSD as the internal drive for blistering speed opening apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.