Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peb123

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
I'm sure in the future people will be bringing their Great Grandfathers old PC to the Antiques Road Show!

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Just...why?

There are a bunch of personality disorders that can fit your answer: Narcissism, borderline...

It is amazing paying that much money for a piece a plastic that does nothing not even regarding the history behind it.

I mean, imagine the person having that circuit board in a pedestal just to "show off". Imagine how much that person need for people approval that he/she needs to spend that amount of money. That is a personality disorder.

I mean, the Mona Lisa is a piece of art that is unique and extraordinary. This Apple One is not, it was replaced a few months later for another version that was better. But do not try to explain that to someone with that ego.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
There are a bunch of personality disorders that can fit your answer: Narcissism, borderline...

It is amazing paying that much money for a piece a plastic that does nothing not even regarding the history behind it.

I mean, imagine the person having that circuit board in a pedestal just to "show off". Imagine how much that person need for people approval that he/she needs to spend that amount of money. That is a personality disorder.

I mean, the Mona Lisa is a piece of art that is unique and extraordinary. This Apple One is not, it was replaced a few months later for another version that was better. But do not try to explain that to someone with that ego.

Worst pop-psy ever.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Just...why?

Because its a peice of history. You'd be surpirsed to see what really old Microsoft stuff goes for as well, not this much. But a good chunk of change as well.

Old PC's, Old Macs. Really early stuff like that. Is worth a ton of money. Not only is it super cool. Its a peioce of history.

These early Macs and PC's really got the ball rolling on everything we have now. Very early PCs and Macs are worth a ton of money these days, assuming they still work.

If I had the money I would love to own something like that.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I understand that, which is why I stated "from my perspective", as if it were me going to buy the Apple I. I'm not a collector or an art buff, so I don't see the value in much of those things for me, which is why I question it.

Just like beauty, I believe that value is also in the eye of the beholder.

So obviously, it was worth the $375K to the buyer. If it were me, I wouldn't give $1 for it, simply because I have no use for an Apple I. Unless my intention was to resell it for an excessive amount of money. :p

you basically answered your own question LOL. You would get no benefit from it because as you stated your not a collector. So why do you need to keep questioning it? People have all different interests. This is like the holy grail for any serious Macintosh/Apple collector.

Just like I wouldn't even take the "Scream Painting for free" simply cos it gives me the creeps and it is rather poorly drawn to be honest, but it still sold at auction for $120 million. I'm more into renaissance art xD, far more required skill to me.

I collect Macs/Apple products, the chances of me ever finding one of these, well I reckon I have more chance of finding a sheet of Inverted Jenny Stamps LOL.

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I knew macs kept their value, but didn't realize they appreciated. :D

It's a cool collector's item. I'm not sure it's what I'd want to collect, but different strokes for different folks.

LOL at the $666.66 price.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Why? Ask people who would pay $100k for a 80 year old Ford whereas a new one costs a third, I that :p

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
How do they expect anyone to take this seriously when the RAM is soldered straight to the logic board?!

;)

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
What's with the original price of $666.66 ?

They mentioned this in Jobs' biography. $666.66 was the cost of the components plus 50%.

According to the BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18456746

Only about 200 Apple 1s were ever created. The computers were hand-built by Apple's co-founder Steve Wozniak and originally sold for $666.66 (£426) as a fully assembled circuit board.

He later said he picked a sum with a repeating number "because it was just an easier way to type".

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I got a Commodore Vic 20 that will sweep the floor with that thing. Bidding starts at $1000.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
The First Dell?

I wonder what the first Dell off the line would sell for. Probably assembled from parts by Michael Dell himself in his dorm room. I guessing it would go for maybe $.0.50 on a good day. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.