Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Maybe I've solved this, or maybe it's a dumb idea - let me know. One of the things that seems to be a problem for a lot of people on the forums is being stuck with their long-established iTunes store email account and a newer @me/whatever email account.

Why couldn't you just use your new email account to set up new iTunes store and iTunes Match accounts, and then add the songs back up under the new account?

bwphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2006
That is a remarkably good reason. Rats.

Well I guess we're halfway there anyway.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
One reason is because people would lose their apps

Actually you can share your apps and other purchases to any other account (up to 5 I believe) using Home Sharing.

The only downside was that app updates required you to enter the password of the original account. However, reports from iOS6 Beta are that you no longer need to do that for updates so this might be a seamless way of handling it.

mtreys

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
College Station, TX
Actually you can share your apps and other purchases to any other account (up to 5 I believe) using Home Sharing.

The only downside was that app updates required you to enter the password of the original account. However, reports from iOS6 Beta are that you no longer need to do that for updates so this might be a seamless way of handling it.

Apps won't work over Home Sharing. It's only media that will.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Apps won't work over Home Sharing. It's only media that will.

That is not true at all. If you have Home Sharing set up, you can drag and drop iOS apps from one person's account to another. It is no different than it is with music, tv shows, movies, books, etc. Two people with completely different Apple ID's set for iTunes can share purchases.

It is probably one of the most little known things about iOS.

mtreys

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
College Station, TX
That is not true at all. If you have Home Sharing set up, you can drag and drop iOS apps from one person's account to another. It is no different than it is with music, tv shows, movies, books, etc. Two people with completely different Apple ID's set for iTunes can share purchases.

It is probably one of the most little known things about iOS.

So, to clarify, I can purchase a $20 app then share it with anyone else in my household with different accounts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.