Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Boopyman
macrumors newbie

Apple TV (2nd Gen) AirPlay + Audio Out Sound Quality

So here's my dilemma. I can do either of the following:
  • Convert my ALAC music to 256 kbps and store all of it on my iPhone, before outputting directly to my headphones.
  • Use my iPhone as a remote for my iMac's iTunes, and direct the sound to my 2nd Generation Apple TV, before outputting the signal through optical to my headphones.

Now, I have my doubts concerning the quality of the Optical Out of the Apple TV: will I be losing quality if I use it ? Furthermore, will AirPlay degrade the quality of my lossless audio ?

In any event, my question is the following: is it worth putting the second system highlighted above into effect sound quality wise ? I think AirPlay is a bit-perfect way to stream audio, but I could be wrong, and in that situation, the iPhone might simply be a better solution.

Thanks in advance !

EDIT: would I also be losing quality using a converter to change the optical out of the Apple TV into a standard 3.5mm female port for my headphones ?
Boopyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Tags
airplay, apple tv, audio, quality, sound