Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to an article in Computerworld, Apple will charge $199 to replace the 95 watt-hour battery in the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, an increase of $70 from the traditional $129 that Apple charges for replacement batteries in the standard MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

Apple-MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-display-Features.png

Before the introduction of the unibody MacBook Pro, all of Apple's notebooks had easily removable batteries. It made batteries quick to replace, but increased the complexity of the external case and the overall size of the machines. When the unibody machines were released, Apple designed a new type of battery that gave longer battery life and an increased number of charge cycles before the battery needed to be replaced:

Apple claims the Retina MacBook Pro's battery can be recharged 1,000 times before its charge capacity drops to 80% of normal.

Apple's standard 1-year warranty and the three-year warranty included with the AppleCare Protection Plan do cover batteries that have failed or have diminished capacity because "of a manufacturing defect". Apple's warranties do not cover a battery that has diminished capacity simply because it was charged many times.

Article Link: Apple to Charge $199 for Battery Replacement on MacBook Pro with Retina Display

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Since the battery is glued to the machine...are they going to give you a new MBP like they do with iPhones and iPads?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Not surprising after seeing the insides! They'll have to do some crazy stuff to un-glue it!

At least their battery life estimates (for me at least) are better than what they claim, my mid-2010 MBP has been through 818 cycles and is at 90% health.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Since the battery is glued to the machine...are they going to give you a new MBP like they do with iPhones and iPads?

They're likely going to give you a new motherboard, and send yours away to be refurbished. That's probably why the SSD is not soldered onto the board like the RAM - to preserve your data.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2010
Apple do seem to be quite generous with their battery replacement however. On my 09 MBP it had the service battery warning at about 700 cycles, they said that it was high and they would not replace it at first, but after speaking to apple care the man said it was within a 1000 cycles so replaced it free of charge within an hour :)

Lareson

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Well, because it is glued to the body and they are charging $199 for the battery replacement now, could mean that they just put your SSD in a new machine and hand it back to you.

Even though there's virtually no user serviceability to this, that's still fine with me. This is still becoming my new MacBook Pro to replace my aging '08 aluminum MacBook. If $199 means that they just take your SSD out and put it into a new body, that's completely fine by me!

Can I just get the $2400 now so I can purchase this awesome machine?! :D

Soy Cowboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
The new battery is $200. The old battery was $130. Taking a dollar off the price is a psychological trick to fool people into thinking the price is lower than it actually is. As a reporter rounding up the price would be more instructive to you readers. Also, less annoying. Please don't participate in the scam.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
$200 seems reasonable. I don't think they'll be swapping machines out at the Apple Store. More likely, they'll be sending it out where the battery will be unglued/removed with proper tools and replaced. Maybe they'll be able to do it in store. Some Apple Stores can do more in house than others.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
The new battery is $200. The old battery was $130. Taking a dollar off the price is a psychological trick to fool people into thinking the price is lower than it actually is. As a reporter rounding up the price would be more instructive to you readers. Also, less annoying. Please don't participate in the scam.

Really?

This Apple Support page lists $199 before tax.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

erio

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2004
Late 2008 & Early 2009 Unibody MacBook Pro had a battery access door, so it's not just pre-unibody.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Not surprising after seeing the insides! They'll have to do some crazy stuff to un-glue it!

At least their battery life estimates (for me at least) are better than what they claim, my mid-2010 MBP has been through 818 cycles and is at 90% health.

WOW!!! My MBP >>> 56 cycles and 90% health.

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
hahaha,everytime something weird pop up out of the sky from Apple,there is always some people who finds it a very reasonable choice.Like they would find it ridicilous ever.They asking 200$ for battery.Really? And thats reasonable? Yea,right.Especial when is not covered by Apple care warranty.I would call that on my scale from insane to idiotic VERY TO HIGH REASONABLE!Riiight. Shut up and take my money,because im retarded.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Totally expected actually. The Retina Pro has that massive battery assembly in there. More battery, bigger cost. It's like replacing a toner cartridge but with a longer time needed before replacing.

Even with my current MacBooks (My Air and my 13" Pro) I normally expect to set aside $200 for a replacement battery, even if I'm not paying quite that much when the time comes around.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
My Mid 2010 Macbook Pro has 1174 cycles and displayed the replace soon message the other day, How much charge will it hold after that message? Can't afford to replace the battery at the minute.

Medinarem

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009
How to use MCPR

My question is (maybe someone can Help)......What is the best way to use a laptop like this one.. should I always have it connected to a power source even if it is 100% charged. Or should I charge it and unplug it. Or what (seriously don't know). Some people tell me is better to always have it plugged in others say is not good for the battery.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
My question is (maybe someone can Help)......What is the best way to use a laptop like this one.. should I always have it connected to a power source even if it is 100% charged. Or should I charge it and unplug it. Or what (seriously don't know). Some people tell me is better to always have it plugged in others say is not good for the battery.

Here's Apple's advice - http://www.apple.com/batteries/ - click the 'notebook' link in the last paragraph

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
hahaha,everytime something weird pop up out of the sky from Apple,there is always some people who finds it a very reasonable choice.Like they would find it ridicilous ever.They asking 200$ for battery.Really? And thats reasonable? Yea,right.Especial when is not covered by Apple care warranty.I would call that on my scale from insane to idiotic VERY TO HIGH REASONABLE!Riiight. Shut up and take my money,because im retarded.

You got that right, a total retard. Have you seen the batteries in there? It cost $60 but a low level tech to even look at a stove or a fridge these days. That's before they do anything or parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.