Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

argo063

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Hey People

I just scanned lots of images. and know want to edit them all. i like the interface of adobe camera raw. because it all in front of you and you can edit alot quicker then photoshop.

is there any others like this on a Mac.

Thanks

argo063

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Aperture will likely do 90% of what you need.

Aperture is great but for editing lots of photos. not the best. Eg tool are not infront of you for every thing. meaning you have to go and get it for each photo. if there was some way how to edit this like toolbars then yes it be great.

any other ideas

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
Aperture is great but for editing lots of photos. not the best. Eg tool are not infront of you for every thing. meaning you have to go and get it for each photo. if there was some way how to edit this like toolbars then yes it be great.

any other ideas

Agreed, Aperture's output image quality is great, but for productivity LR/ACR is way better.

People who harp that Aperture has better UI design need to explain in what way it is so much better than LR for high volume work.

As of Ap3, it still plays second (or third) fiddle to LR. Pity, as I love the extra detail Ap3 provides over LR/ACR.

argo063

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Agreed, Aperture's output image quality is great, but for productivity LR/ACR is way better.

People who harp that Aperture has better UI design need to explain in what way it is so much better than LR for high volume work.

As of Ap3, it still plays second (or third) fiddle to LR. Pity, as I love the extra detail Ap3 provides over LR/ACR.

So true. only just started using LR today and already love the way it works. But i do like aperture for folder layout. But still got lots to learn with LR. Just wishing i had a bigger screen then i dint have to scroll up and down for adjustments.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
What kind of editing are you thinking of because the two broad categories are lightroom/aperture type programs and then photoshop/pixelmator/gimp type programs. What exactly are you doing to the photos that you want to do in batch?

argo063

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
What kind of editing are you thinking of because the two broad categories are lightroom/aperture type programs and then photoshop/pixelmator/gimp type programs. What exactly are you doing to the photos that you want to do in batch?

I just scanned 300 photo. Know I will go though them single by single and edit each one. File are tiff. So if I did it in gimp/ photo shop meaning I have to open and save each photo. In LR you don't have to and it alot quicker with big tiff. what I mean by batch is alot of photo need a easy interface and auto save/open and quick.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I just scanned 300 photo. Know I will go though them single by single and edit each one. File are tiff. So if I did it in gimp/ photo shop meaning I have to open and save each photo. In LR you don't have to and it alot quicker with big tiff. what I mean by batch is alot of photo need a easy interface and auto save/open and quick.

You seem to have pretty much answered your own question! Either LR or Aperture I think would be best for your needs. I have only used Aperture, but I think both are in a library format, you can just scroll through editing when you please, non destructive, no need to save, lift and stamp etc... set Gimp or Photoshop up as an external and have it save directly back into Aperture.

Sounds ideal really for what you need.

argo063

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
You seem to have pretty much answered your own question! Either LR or Aperture I think would be best for your needs. I have only used Aperture, but I think both are in a library format, you can just scroll through editing when you please, non destructive, no need to save, lift and stamp etc... set Gimp or Photoshop up as an external and have it save directly back into Aperture.

Sounds ideal really for what you need.

Yer I have know. Never use to have LR. Only Aperture . But it look like know I will have to buy it. Editing so much beter in LR. Are there any free progreams out there like LR? For mac

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I'm not even sure how or what you want for batch such as white balance maybe but I just did an edit on about 75 photos (from & for a friend) using A3 and Topaz.

I selected all the like photos where I started with the white balance and went from there.

I went back and forth which you said you don't want but in real time, white balance, removed some noise both from jpeg & RAW, straightened, cropped and a few other things along with the white balance. I spent about 2 hours on them which wasn't bad but I have a system down pretty good.

If time was a concern I'm just letting you know what it had taken me and I'm still getting use to Topaz (not free by any means) but it works with A3, LR, PS and PSE. Take your time and enjoy some of the process, you end up learning a few programs and getting your own style :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.