Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haarith :)

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Hey there guys i have ordered my retina macbook pro but im slightly confused here are some questions...

How will i install microsoft office on this mac?

How will everything look? Will all the text be small? Will the things in the window itself look small?

Thanks in advance!

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Office looks horrible for me. Any solution?

Haha yeah I noticed when pulling a word document I was like damn that looks bad...but no worry developers will slowly start transitioning their apps to retina compatible ones. Especially such a major software giant like Microsoft. I give it a month tops before it's updated. It's really just blurry, not like it's unusable or anything. Don't let it stop you!

----------

Horrible, in what way?

Seems to be blurry and text just isn't rendered like it is locally with Apple applications like Safari and Mail and such. For example I'm typing this in Safari on my RMBP and it's the clearest text I've read on a laptop yet if I started typing this on word the text would be far from crystal clear. Like I said, doesn't make it unusable.

----------

Horrible, in what way?

Seems to be blurry and text just isn't rendered like it is locally with Apple applications like Safari and Mail and such. For example I'm typing this in Safari on my RMBP and it's the clearest text I've read on a laptop yet if I started typing this on word the text would be far from crystal clear. Like I said, doesn't make it unusable.

I

iFanboy

Hey there guys i have ordered my retina macbook pro but im slightly confused here are some questions...

How will i install microsoft office on this mac?

How will everything look? Will all the text be small? Will the things in the window itself look small?

Thanks in advance!

Office looks horrible for me. Any solution?

Horrible, in what way?

Microsoft Office looks terrible on the retina display. Here's some screenshots:-

1.**OFFICE FOR MAC 2011**
2.**OFFICE FOR MAC 2011 Pic 2**
2.**OFFICE FOR MAC 2011 -v- TEXTEDIT**

Basically the only solution is to scale down the resolution or wait for Microsoft to update the software.

Microsoft has a history of long delays with updates however, so I wouldn't hold your breath on a quick fix. For example, support for lion specific features took almost a year... :rolleyes:

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I am still slightly confused with this retina display. Can you please correct me with my statement here :

1. There are 5 options in retina : large, something, best (1440x900), 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 right?
2. So from screenshots above, the text is pixelated because it is 1440x900 and still doesn't support retina
3. Ladeer said that using 1900x1200 makes the text smoother because the size of the microsoft word itself is smaller

Are they correct? I wonder if you use 1900x1200 res but use 150x zoom in msWord option. Can you please take the screenshot? :eek:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I am still slightly confused with this retina display. Can you please correct me with my statement here :

1. There are 5 options in retina : large, something, best (1440x900), 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 right?

Those are the options, but only the 1440x900 is really 2880x1800. So it needs double-sized icons, etc., to look good. Some old apps will have bad icons but great text in this mode, but some, like Office and Chrome, don't use OSX's built-in font handling, so text looks bad too.

When you use 1680x1050 or 1920, it's like using an old MBP, more or less, so icons, etc. look smaller on screen.

I

iFanboy

2. So from screenshots above, the text is pixelated because it is 1440x900 and still doesn't support retina
3. Ladeer said that using 1900x1200 makes the text smoother because the size of the microsoft word itself is smaller

Are they correct? I wonder if you use 1900x1200 res but use 150x zoom in msWord option. Can you please take the screenshot? :eek:

Think of it this way, the retina resolution of 2880x1800 contains 4X as many pixels as the standard 1440x900. Retina is just 1400x900 LAYOUT, with 4X as many pixels. So you get sharper images and text rather than ridiculously tiny icons etc.. on the screen.

Non retina optimised apps have icons and text that now, overnight, has to occupy 4X as many pixels. The software tries to fill in the gaps by "pixel doubling", which means it fills in the gaps by duplicating the existing pixels. This makes the images and text as fuzzy as hell, and results in the screenshots I posted.

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
AH! Thank you for the enlightenment iFanboy and newbiecanada! :p

Those are very clear statement. You know I'm afraid that I can't by the "fuel" for retina display, I mean the application to support the retina. Because some of my important apps are uh.. pi..ra..*cough*..ted. Yes it will costs me a lot of cash, but since I don't use it for commercial use............

So I now realize than if I run all of them in 1680 or 1900 res, it will be okay. THANKS ALOT!

SamAshleyBlogs

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have Office 2008, currently. I've backed up my old MBP with Time Machine. Is it safe to just pull Office over from Time Machine or should I try to use my Key to do a download from Microsoft's website? (I actually haven't even check to see if that's possible).

Just want to make sure I get a clean install.

Advice is appreciated.

Haarith :)

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Wow this is just great i use microsoft office so much as i need it during A levels :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.