Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Seems theres a war going on between ipad 2 & ipad 3 users

Fascinating

it's more like there is a grossly misinformed iPad 3 user gone wild who thinks anyone who went with an iPad 2 is an idiot

of course, you are free to form your own conclusions

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Seems theres a war going on between ipad 2 & ipad 3 users

Fascinating

Because people fell for the A5X marketing hype. Both devices perform about the same. Unfortunately some think you're 50 cards shy of a full deck for implying it. Watch the Youtube video for yourself and see real world results. It's basically a wash between both the 2 and the 3.

And everyone who thinks the iPad 3 is far superior never provides links to show that's the case. :p

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Because people fell for the A5X marketing hype. Both devices perform about the same. Unfortunately some think you're 50 cards shy of a full deck for implying it. Watch the Youtube video for yourself and see real world results. It's basically a wash between both the 2 and the 3.

And everyone who thinks the iPad 3 is far superior never provides links to show that's the case. :p

well put

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
faster processor? the bump in graphics was just to support the retina display, nothing else. your "new" iPad won't load anything faster than my iPad 2.

battery life? the iPad 2 has better battery life.

the only feature i gave up by going with the iPad 2 was the retina screen and dictation. both of which were not worth an extra $180 for me. the only reason why i posted in the first place was to say that i'm glad i went with my choice, especially experiencing the heat issues first hand. as mentioned i didn't experience the yellow tinted screens, but the extra heat bothered me. how is that a "supposed" heat issue when i experience it for myself (not like many people who just read the forums). within spec and within comfort are two different things. just b/c the spec of components call out for such and such degrees, does that mean that your hand is sufficiently comfortable holding it?

what the hell is your point anyways? you just cut up my post into discrete chunks and quote them without realizing the entire meaning of the following paragraphs. what i said does nothing to support your claimed "point" because my purchase preference is independent of whether or not a defect results in a class action suit. i hate responding to people this way, but there is no way to address everything without doing it too

incorrect application of thermal paste happens a lot, not just to Macbook Pros. due to the aluminum unibody though, the consumer would feel an incorrect thermal paste application more easily than if it was plastic (hence all of the complaints of the hot bottom against people's legs). on a typical dell, incorrect application of thermal paste might not be realized by the consumer until components are actually damaged (besides the fact that the fan is on OD constantly). that is all i was saying, you misread again

yes, that is my opinion. i don't find the iPad 3 / "new" iPad to be as polished of a device as the iPad 2. are you going to keep flipping out in a forum until i change my mind?

let's kindly review my reasons again to determine the facts:

1) iPad 2 refurb was $319 vs iPad 3 at $499
2) iPad 2 runs cool and the iPad 3 was uncomfortable to hold for more than 5 minutes
3) iPad 2 charging time meets my needs better due to my line of work
4) iPad 2 screen is perfectly sufficient for my tasks, the retina screen for +$180 would be overkill

you have no basis for calling my reasoning invalid.

The first MacBook pro didn't have a unibody so your reasoning has no merit.

I've held my iPad 3 for an hour straight without feeling uncomfortable with the "heat"

Previously you were comparing the polished nature of apple products, now you are limiting it to the ipad2 to better suit your argument.

You basically are just trying to justify your purchase. As I said earlier, enjoy your product. I am enjoying mine because these problems you describe are moot.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
it's more like there is a grossly misinformed iPad 3 user gone wild who thinks anyone who went with an iPad 2 is an idiot

of course, you are free to form your own conclusions

I don't recall anyone calling anyone an idiot. You just thought there was a heat issue that is overblown. Sorry you feel so butthurt.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
What do heat issues have to do with yellow, blotchy screens? Has anyone posted anything relevant in this thread? Maybe a couple of relevant posts, the rest is just off-topic arguing.

So for anyone who acknowledges the blotchy pink/yellow/cyan problems with the retina displays: have you tried again lately? Have you had any luck? And if so, serial numbers please?

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
The first MacBook pro didn't have a unibody so your reasoning has no merit.

I've held my iPad 3 for an hour straight without feeling uncomfortable with the "heat"

Previously you were comparing the polished nature of apple products, now you are limiting it to the ipad2 to better suit your argument.

You basically are just trying to justify your purchase. As I said earlier, enjoy your product. I am enjoying mine because these problems you describe are moot.

1) ok so the first Macbook Pro didn't have a unibody...was the bottom still metal? you know what, i don't even care b/c it doesn't matter. you think that the Macbook Pro 1st gen was the only generation to have incorrectly applied / insufficient thermal paste?

2) you are the one who keeps expanding the argument. my original post was iPad 2 vs iPad 3/"new" iPad. obviously i have been talking about that comparison the entire time. it was you who started discussing all sorts of different products. stick to the point, better yet...have a point before you start quoting and attacking people when clearly you are misinformed...on to #3

3) i don't have to justify my purchase to anyone except myself. i couldn't care less what you actually think of my purchase decision, but i do care that you think my reasoning was flawed b/c according to you, my facts are incorrect. if anyone is incorrect here, it is you....spitting out tons of misinformation such as how the iPad 3 is faster and has better battery life. every single review of the iPad 2 vs iPad 3 has pointed to the fact that the A5X was developed solely to handle the retina display. the iPad 3 is not faster at all, and some reviews have actually stated it's slightly slower. since when does slower mean faster? every single review has also pointed out that the iPad 3 has LESS battery life and actually takes an ungodly long time to charge. so for you to sit there and tell me the iPad 3 is better for the very reasons that it's actually inferior, means you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

----------

I don't recall anyone calling anyone an idiot. You just thought there was a heat issue that is overblown. Sorry you feel so butthurt.

i interpret you saying that my reasoning for purchasing an iPad 2 was invalid and that there is an overwhelming chance i made a misinformed decision, as essentially calling me an idiot. from reading your posts, one would get the conclusion that it's actually you who is misinformed and blatantly wrong about most if not everything you have said thus far

butt hurt? hardly. i'm actually a bit saddened that individuals such as yourself exist. i would rather be the one who purchases an iPad 2 where 1 of 5 reasons is the uncomfortable level of heat on the back, than the one who purchases the iPad 3 b/c they think it's faster

Last edited:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

The selling point was the display. They're pushing a ton of additional pixels so of course it's not going to run circles around the 2. I don't understand the debate.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The selling point was the display. They're pushing a ton of additional pixels so of course it's not going to run circles around the 2. I don't understand the debate.

Neither do I. You need to ask those that claim the iPad 3 runs circles around the 2.

Markdek

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Neither do I. You need to ask those that claim the iPad 3 runs circles around the 2.

Hardly running circles, 42% of ALL ipad purchases, since the introduction of the Ipad 3, have been iPad 2's. This is a fact, not opinion. But, that being said, I'm sure, w/ the advent of ios 6, the iPad 3 will begin to pull away from the iPad 2 in usability.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Hardly running circles, 42% of ALL ipad purchases, since the introduction of the Ipad 3, have been iPad 2's. This is a fact, not opinion. But, that being said, I'm sure, w/ the advent of ios 6, the iPad 3 will begin to pull away from the iPad 2 in usability.

and what's unfortunate, is it's artificial usability. the iPad 2 is perfectly capable of running Siri, but when iOS 6.0 comes out only the "new" iPad / iPad 3 will get it.

while i have an iPhone 4S with siri, i am very strongly against apple's decision to not include the iPad 2 in several key iOS 6 features

there is absolutely no reason why the iPad 2 can't have dictation as well

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
1) ok so the first Macbook Pro didn't have a unibody...was the bottom still metal? you know what, i don't even care b/c it doesn't matter. you think that the Macbook Pro 1st gen was the only generation to have incorrectly applied / insufficient thermal paste?

2) you are the one who keeps expanding the argument. my original post was iPad 2 vs iPad 3/"new" iPad. obviously i have been talking about that comparison the entire time. it was you who started discussing all sorts of different products. stick to the point, better yet...have a point before you start quoting and attacking people when clearly you are misinformed...on to #3

3) i don't have to justify my purchase to anyone except myself. i couldn't care less what you actually think of my purchase decision, but i do care that you think my reasoning was flawed b/c according to you, my facts are incorrect. if anyone is incorrect here, it is you....spitting out tons of misinformation such as how the iPad 3 is faster and has better battery life. every single review of the iPad 2 vs iPad 3 has pointed to the fact that the A5X was developed solely to handle the retina display. the iPad 3 is not faster at all, and some reviews have actually stated it's slightly slower. since when does slower mean faster? every single review has also pointed out that the iPad 3 has LESS battery life and actually takes an ungodly long time to charge. so for you to sit there and tell me the iPad 3 is better for the very reasons that it's actually inferior, means you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

----------

i interpret you saying that my reasoning for purchasing an iPad 2 was invalid and that there is an overwhelming chance i made a misinformed decision, as essentially calling me an idiot. from reading your posts, one would get the conclusion that it's actually you who is misinformed and blatantly wrong about most if not everything you have said thus far

butt hurt? hardly. i'm actually a bit saddened that individuals such as yourself exist. i would rather be the one who purchases an iPad 2 where 1 of 5 reasons is the uncomfortable level of heat on the back, than the one who purchases the iPad 3 b/c they think it's faster

I never said the 1st gen was the ONLY one. The existence of other problems with other generations only supports my argument, which you have totally sidetracked. Go back and read my post.

Your original post said that the iPad 3 doesn't live up to the polished standards of apple, I have you examples where other products were less than polished so actually the iPad 3 is on par. Is that so hard to understand?

Yeah, you sound really butthurt. And I agree you don't have to justify your purchase yet you spend all your time in this thread doing just that.

I have no heat issues and I'm enjoying my retina display. Ive never run out of battery juice because of the nature of my work You're only getting butthurt that you couldn't pay a few hundred dollars for the superior display. Normally I would say good for you, to each his own, we all have different needs, but you are loving yourself way too much trying to make yourself feel better by basically telling the ipad3 owners that they bought an inferior product.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
and what's unfortunate, is it's artificial usability. the iPad 2 is perfectly capable of running Siri, but when iOS 6.0 comes out only the "new" iPad / iPad 3 will get it.

while i have an iPhone 4S with siri, i am very strongly against apple's decision to not include the iPad 2 in several key iOS 6 features

there is absolutely no reason why the iPad 2 can't have dictation as well

Looks like you will be missing out on another cool feature. I'm glad I didn't make the mistake of getting an iPad 2 instead of the 3.

The above was sarcasm btw, how does it feel to be on the receiving end of such a passive aggressive statement?

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Yeah, you sound really butthurt. And I agree you don't have to justify your purchase yet you spend all your time in this thread doing just that.

not at all, just simply (and rather exhaustively) trying to set the record straight with you since your lack of reading comprehension is making it difficult to get my point across.

I have no heat issues and I'm enjoying my retina display. Ive never run out of battery juice because of the nature of my work You're only getting butthurt that you couldn't pay a few hundred dollars for the superior display. Normally I would say good for you, to each his own, we all have different needs, but you are loving yourself way too much trying to make yourself feel better by basically telling the ipad3 owners that they bought an inferior product.

how would you know my financial situation? of course i could pay the $180, but why would i if i don't value what i'm getting for it? that level of decision making doesn't mean i am broke, it means i am smart with my money. now granted, of course if my income was in the millions each year i wouldn't give a hoot about iPad prices. but since none of us here fall into that category, i think making a prudent financial judgment call by fully evaluating the options is a sign of responsibility and not being "cheap" as you are accusing me of being above.

never once did i say that you, as an owner of iPad 3, purchased an inferior product. find that statement in my posts and quote me (since you're rather skilled at this quoting nonsense it seems). however i did say that you are grossly misinformed about nearly all of the reasons of why you think your iPad 3 is better than my iPad 2. yes, you have a retina screen (and dictation), never once did i deny that. however your claim of faster processing and better battery life over the iPad is ridiculous! have you read what you actually wrote?

again...i would rather be the one who purchased an iPad 2 for any reason at this point (how about flipping a coin?), than the one like you who purchased the iPad 3 b/c they think it's faster and has better battery life.

you honestly fail

----------

Looks like you will be missing out on another cool feature. I'm glad I didn't make the mistake of getting an iPad 2 instead of the 3.

nope, i have it on my 4S

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
not at all, just simply (and rather exhaustively) trying to set the record straight with you since your lack of reading comprehension is making it difficult to get my point across.

how would you know my financial situation? of course i could pay the $180, but why would i if i don't value what i'm getting for it? that level of decision making doesn't mean i am broke, it means i am smart with my money. now granted, of course if my income was in the millions each year i wouldn't give a hoot about iPad prices. but since none of us here fall into that category, i think making a prudent financial judgment call by fully evaluating the options is a sign of responsibility and not being "cheap" as you are accusing me of being above.

never once did i say that you, as an owner of iPad 3, purchased an inferior product. find that statement in my posts and quote me (since you're rather skilled at this quoting nonsense it seems). however i did say that you are grossly misinformed about nearly all of the reasons of why you think your iPad 3 is better than my iPad 2. yes, you have a retina screen (and dictation), never once did i deny that. however your claim of faster processing and better battery life over the iPad is ridiculous! have you read what you actually wrote?

again...i would rather be the one who purchased an iPad 2 for any reason at this point (how about flipping a coin?), than the one like you who purchased the iPad 3 b/c they think it's faster and has better battery life.

you honestly fail

----------

nope, i have it on my 4S

Too bad it's not on your iPad.

I get you point. It has come across pretty clear that you can't read past your own words. Go back and re-read my posts. Sometimes it helps to read things twice to comprehend what people are saying.

Last edited:

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
it's a sad fact, but i think eventually Apple will work with the suppliers to get it right.

i'm just glad i went with an ipad 2 refurb 16GB wifi for $319. i was tempted to get the new iPad when i tried it out in the store. while i didn't see any yellow tinted screens, those iPads were insanely hot just for sitting there. now granted they were on 100% brightness, but i keep my iPad 2 at 85% so i'm not too far off

i think the iPad 3 or "new" iPad is a brilliant feat of engineering, i just think the way it was executed doesn't historically follow the polished nature of Apple's products

I know what you mean, from personal experience a yellow iPad eventually turns into a pinkish hue. I never in my wildest imagination would have expected to see so many screens with so many variants of colors.

When a product is labeled as "resolutionary" I expect nothing less.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Why are people fighting? Everybody decides to buy devices based on their unique needs don't they?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
After returning a few blotchy units around launch time, I thought I'd try again this week. And I finally hit the jackpot. Perfect screen, bright whites, no pink or cyan, and no yellow tint that I can detect (the yellow never really stood out to me like the pink/cyan blotches anyway). Happy to finally have an iPad 3 I can keep.

TinyBFK

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
To OP: Week 16, DY serial number. It is without a doubt perfect. Whites are white, screen is bright and clear, no discoloration, yellow or otherwise, anywhere!

Same here. Got a 64GB at Best buy this month with a DY serial number and it's flawless!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Same here. Got a 64GB at Best buy this month with a DY serial number and it's flawless!

funny you said that. 2 of my friends who bought iPads 3's from Best Buy don't have ANY of the issues that people seem to be having on the forums (most of which i presume bought it from the Apple Store or Apple.com). i wonder if it's a coincidence or if there is a correlation formed here...

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Tried 3 DY's and only one had a white screen. I ended up with a pink DY because I changed the white one due to dust under the screen. In theory I should of just kept the one with dust.

Got rid of the pink hue with a jailbreak and color profiles app.

Very happy now :)

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
funny you said that. 2 of my friends who bought iPads 3's from Best Buy don't have ANY of the issues that people seem to be having on the forums (most of which i presume bought it from the Apple Store or Apple.com). i wonder if it's a coincidence or if there is a correlation formed here...

My launch date iPad 3 was purchased online from apple.com. Pink, green, yellow and gray splotchy screen. My second one I am writing this on is perfection...clear, bright white screen, no yellowing or other colors anywhere. It is a DY purchased from Best Buy in May.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.