Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
This is great news. One thing I'm not clear about though - my 3GS is currently on baseband 05.16.05 (therefore not unlockable). Can I use this to downgrade to 05.13.04? If so can I do this directly, or must I "upgrade" to 06.15 first as an intermediary step?

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
This is great news. One thing I'm not clear about though - my 3GS is currently on baseband 05.16.05 (therefore not unlockable). Can I use this to downgrade to 05.13.04? If so can I do this directly, or must I "upgrade" to 06.15 first as an intermediary step?

Yes you'll have to first upgrade to 06.15. However, be very careful to see if that baseband is compatible. Read the instructions FULLY or else you may fry your radio.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Yes you'll have to first upgrade to 06.15. However, be very careful to see if that baseband is compatible. Read the instructions FULLY or else you may fry your radio.

Thanks... I'll check the baseband compatibility with 06.15 in detail later. Can I use the same RedSnow latest 0.9.14b1 to do the upgrading to 06.15?

bjornm

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
Does this work on bricked iPhones as well

Curious to know if this will work on my bricked iPhone as I wont be able to do a controlled shutdown.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Dev-team says:

The iPad baseband is not compatible with 3GS units manufactured week 34 of 2011 or later. If you have an iPhone3GS and if digits 3-5 of its Serial Number are 134 or later (xx134…), then you should NOT try to install the 06.15 baseband on your 3GS! It will brick your radio, preventing both the downgrade from working and normal iPhone software from using it as a phone! Be warned!

This doesn't make sense to me. My serial is 889431xxxxx which would imply it is not compatible with 06.15. However my 3GS was bought much earlier than week 34 of 2011, I think it was sometime in early 2010. Or am I reading the wrong serial? I'm looking at Settings > General > About > "Serial Number"

EDIT: This useful website decodes my serial as:
Production year: 2009
Production week: 43 (October)

Last edited:

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
You need to check your 3GS and make sure it doesn't also have the old BootROM. It's right within the zone were they started being changed to the new BootROM

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
You need to check your 3GS and make sure it doesn't also have the old BootROM. It's right within the zone were they started being changed to the new BootROM

Bootrom is 359.3.2, which I believe makes it NEW BootROM - so where does that leave me?

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Wow... Had to be very patient over about 2 hours... but it worked! First I upgraded to 06.15 then redid the whole process and downgraded, then installed Ultrasnow, and voila... my 3GS that had been useless for the last 6 months is now a phone again. Big kudos to musclenerd for getting this working. I was waiting the last six months hoping a solution would be found, have to say I was sceptical it would ever happen, but he delivered.

cubian

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
just like to make sure if my serial for my 3gs is XX929XXXXXX then i can't downgrade my baseband? and i should not try to unlock with new redsnow?

Just dig a little more deeper...and found out my iphone info..

according to the website above.

which showed my iphone is
Production year: 2009
Production week: 29 (July)

but accroding to the news post where it stated " The iPad baseband is not compatible with 3GS units manufactured week 34 of 2011 or later"

at this point it looks like i can install ipad baseband.but it went on with

"If you have an iPhone3GS and if digits 3-5 of its Serial Number are 134 or later (xx134…), then you should NOT try to install the 06.15 baseband on your 3GS! It will brick your radio, preventing both the downgrade from working and normal iPhone software from using it as a phone! Be warned!"

so wit my ser number is XX929XXXXXX am i able to downgrade my 3gs without brick your radio, preventing both the downgrade from working and normal iPhone

haroldsoto

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Need some help on this.

Hey there, i got a 3GS, with BB 06.15 with an sn0wbreeze hacktivated ISPW. I unlocked it with ultrasn0w but notifications didn't work, and managed to install SAM when it worked, unlocked it with it and notifications and GPS are working correctly since then, even though there are still some battery issues, (ultrasn0w and SAM on this).

I'm looking forward to sell this phone, and i was wondering if i downgrade the baseband will i lose my notifications (wich SAM fixed back then) when i install ultrasn0w again?. What i want, is to be able to restore with an original IPSW, unlock it with ultrasn0w and have notifications fully working (if its possible). Is it safe to go for it?, or what should i do in this case?. Please let me know. Thanks.

IanCO

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
Trinidad & Tobago

Is it that the only way to downgrade to 05.13.04 is to upgrade to 06.15? Does this mean that ppl with iphone 3gs's after week 34 of 2011 with 05.16.05 bb are screwed??

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Is it that the only way to downgrade to 05.13.04 is to upgrade to 06.15? Does this mean that ppl with iphone 3gs's after week 34 of 2011 with 05.16.05 bb are screwed??

Actually any 3GS made after the 27th week of 2011 is likely to be damaged if the iPad baseband flash is attempted.

Without the baseband flash, the downgrade cannot occur.

Beddufigghiu

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Wow... Had to be very patient over about 2 hours... but it worked! First I upgraded to 06.15 then redid the whole process and downgraded, then installed Ultrasnow, and voila... my 3GS that had been useless for the last 6 months is now a phone again. Big kudos to musclenerd for getting this working. I was waiting the last six months hoping a solution would be found, have to say I was sceptical it would ever happen, but he delivered.

I would like to try your trick but I can't find out how to upgrade to 06.15 first...having already everything I need to downgrade to the iPad baseband. Some help would be really appreciated since I've been stuck for over 2 hours already! Thanks

ShriksR

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
But you can get a carrier or grey market dealer IMEI unlock.

I have 3gs new bootrom in iOS 5.0.1 BB 6.15.00 i contact to the imei unlocker they said that iphone must be have 5.13.04 to factory unlock so if i downgrade bb so it will brick my radio

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
New bootrom does not mean you cannot downgrade the baseband.
Any 3GS made before the 27th week of 2011 can be safely downgraded.

If you are getting IMEI unlock, no need to preserve baseband.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.