Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dec.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Just dropped it, face down on the patio, the glass has serveral cracks, it's still working but obviously I need it fixed - are there any recommendations in terms of repair services you guys have or should I just go to the apple store and see what they say?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Just dropped it, face down on the patio, the glass has serveral cracks, it's still working but obviously I need it fixed - are there any recommendations in terms of repair services you guys have or should I just go to the apple store and see what they say?

Always go to the apple store first.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Apple store first, then search the web for a local repair shop. I think you might be surprised by the price differene either way.

dec.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for the input! Went to the Apple Store, they said they don't offer repairs and obviously physical damage is not covered by regular warranty but they replaced it for $300 and added AppleCare plus for another $49, which makes me feel better about it (please no "should have gotten it in first place" comments :) ).
I found a few local places that advertised "screen repairs $150 and up", but to be honest, I rather pay the extra and have the good feeling of holding a brand new iPad in my hands.

(I just wish Ihad taken a pic of the broken iPad as a reminder .... ;-) )

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks for the input! Went to the Apple Store, they said they don't offer repairs and obviously physical damage is not covered by regular warranty but they replaced it for $300 and added AppleCare plus for another $49, which makes me feel better about it (please no "should have gotten it in first place" comments :) ).
I found a few local places that advertised "screen repairs $150 and up", but to be honest, I rather pay the extra and have the good feeling of holding a brand new iPad in my hands.

Glad you got it settled but for piece of mind, get yourself a folio case.

texasjeff

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
What to do?

Same issue - my three yr old dropped my iPad on our tile floor, screen is smashed. It functions, but I must get it repaired/replaced. I've been to the Apple store, they were very nice but offered no freebies (not expected but wishful thinking). To replace it will be $300 or $350 to add Apple Care protection. There are also local repair services that will replace the screen/digitizer for $165. I am worried about quality if I choose local repair over Apple's offer to replace it. Does the LCD produce the 2048×1536 display, or does the screen/digitizer play a role too? I don't want to turn my new iPad into an iPad2 by having it repaired at a local shop. So, which one?

Pros of Apple:
- I know it's an Apple product, not some knockoff
- I know the screen will be 2048×1536 retina display
- It will still be covered by the original warranty, plus Apple Care if I choose that option (which I likely will)

Pros of Local Repair:
- CHEAP!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Same issue - my three yr old dropped my iPad on our tile floor, screen is smashed. It functions, but I must get it repaired/replaced. I've been to the Apple store, they were very nice but offered no freebies (not expected but wishful thinking). To replace it will be $300 or $350 to add Apple Care protection. There are also local repair services that will replace the screen/digitizer for $165. I am worried about quality if I choose local repair over Apple's offer to replace it. Does the LCD produce the 2048×1536 display, or does the screen/digitizer play a role too? I don't want to turn my new iPad into an iPad2 by having it repaired at a local shop. So, which one?

Pros of Apple:
- It will still be covered by the original warranty, plus Apple Care if I choose that option (which I likely will)

Pros of Local Repair:
- CHEAP!

I would say go with Apple because you already have your doubts and I would too. As a small business owner I live by this rule:

"Good Work Is Not Cheap and Cheap Work Is Not Good" !

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

Pros of Apple:

Pros of Local Repair:
- CHEAP!

You answered your question. You can pay more for a guarantee, or pay less for a gamble. We don't know the shop, the technicians there, their background, etc. What else can we say besides go to the Apple store?

texasjeff

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for the reply palpatine and Rodster. I agree regarding peace of mind. However, I think my core question was lost in the details. So here goes:

Does putting a new piece of glass over the LCD retain the quality of the iPad3 display?

I don't want to list the repair shop - not going to advertise for them. :D They seem reputable, in business since 1995, offer warranty of their work, etc. I just want to know what makes the new iPad retina display. If it's the LCD I think I could be ok going with local repair since they are not touching that specific part. They would only be replacing the screen/digitizer.

Thanks again!

You answered your question. You can pay more for a guarantee, or pay less for a gamble. We don't know the shop, the technicians there, their background, etc. What else can we say besides go to the Apple store?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks for the reply palpatine and Rodster. I agree regarding peace of mind. However, I think my core question was lost in the details. So here goes:

Does putting a new piece of glass over the LCD retain the quality of the iPad3 display?

I don't want to list the repair shop - not going to advertise for them. :D They seem reputable, in business since 1995, offer warranty of their work, etc. I just want to know what makes the new iPad retina display. If it's the LCD I think I could be ok going with local repair since they are not touching that specific part. They would only be replacing the screen/digitizer.

Thanks again!

Yes the glass lays on top of the display. The difference is that there are very few if any iPad 3 refurbs ready in the system so you could get a new iPad 3. :)

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
Replacing the glass will have no effect on the "retina" part of the iPads display, it will still be at the same resolution. However like many others who have replied, I would 110% suggest that you go to Apple for a replacement, as it is near impossible for any repair to be of the same quality provided by Apple, due to the adhesive used to bond the glass and the oleophobic coating that is not present on 3rd part parts/repairs. it is also important to note how easy it is to get dust and debris stuck under the screen during a repair even when carried out by the best technician

:apple: iPhone 4S 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Classic 5.5G 30GB, iPod Nano 6G 8GB, Shure SE425's :apple:

texasjeff

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
**update

I went with the Apple replacement plus Apple care. It hurt going to the pocket....a lot. However, I really wanted to make sure that I retained a quality product when all was said and done. That was really the deciding factor. Thanks all for the feedback.

speedwobbles

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
replaced my own glass digitizer. cost me less than $70. was able to do it myself in less than a couple hours with a heat gun and guitar picks. ipad feels brand new!

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011

Pros of Apple:

Pros of Local Repair:
- CHEAP!

Don't you see how they basically are selling you a new iPad? For example, with an iPhone, you pay $200 for the cheapest one, but the extra coverage is $100 plus $50 to get it replaced, you pay $150. You basically bought a new one. With all the business people (me) give Apple they should be able to help you out when you need it. There is no reciprocity. They only do what they can do as long as it still screws you over in their favor. iHate it.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
You basically bought a new one. With all the business people (me) give Apple they should be able to help you out when you need it. There is no reciprocity. They only do what they can do as long as it still screws you over in their favor. iHate it.

Get over yourself, seriously.:rolleyes:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Don't you see how they basically are selling you a new iPad? For example, with an iPhone, you pay $200 for the cheapest one, but the extra coverage is $100 plus $50 to get it replaced, you pay $150. You basically bought a new one. With all the business people (me) give Apple they should be able to help you out when you need it. There is no reciprocity. They only do what they can do as long as it still screws you over in their favor. iHate it.

If you can afford to put that much business their way, you can afford to pay for a repair if you break something.

They do offer a replacement service - a new iPad at half the cost. That's the gamble you take if you don't take out AC+.

Plus, $200 for an iPhone is the subsidised price. Anyone who thinks the iPhone actually costs $200 doesn't understand the mobile industry at all.

jembushong

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Where did you buy your replacement?

replaced my own glass digitizer. cost me less than $70. was able to do it myself in less than a couple hours with a heat gun and guitar picks. ipad feels brand new!

We need a replacement screen, where did you purchase yours?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

What, are you 12 years old? Apple has no more obligation to "help you out" than any other company. And your math is seriously off. The cheapest iPhone is $649. Although you may pay $200 your service provider covers the other $449. If the phone is damaged during the contract period and you have no insurance you will pay $649 for a new one or whatever it costs to repair the damage.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Those places and their repair also void your warranty etc. so if they screw something up and Apple figures out you had screen replaced you are screwed.

----------

. With all the business people (me) give Apple they should be able to help you out when you need it. There is no reciprocity. They only do what they can do as long as it still screws you over in their favor. iHate it.

You broke it. Not a defect so Apple doesn't have to cover it. They could make you go buy a replacement retail which on a phone would be like $400 and up. For an iPad $330 and up.

But instead they are willing to help you out and let you buy your swap at a considerable discount.

So exactly how are they screwing you over when they would profit more by making you buy retail.

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az

You should support the local shops man half the price of apple no appointment needed at my shop we replace all ipad for $100 and have a 30min-1hr turn around time along with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor

You would be very surprised by third party shops that do it right the number one reason I am in this business and run a shop is to take care of people at a reasonable price with better service then apple can provide.....also I get to take apart apple gear all day :)

You should not be downing repair shops there are quite a few very capable people running repair shop and if I can reball your pmic after water damage and get you out the door with a working iphone for $65 I would say that beats the apple store and there geniuses

Sorry for the rant it just sucks to see us local shops have no support what so ever when in fact I believe the proper third party shop will beat apple any day!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.