Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
As requested, welcome to the NHL 2012 off-season thread.

If anyone wants to see the 2011-2012 NHL season thread, it is here.

I guess we'll use this thread to discuss any trade or free agent signing speculation. I'm sure we'll also get into the upcoming CBA negotiations, and probable strike/lockout.

Last edited:

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
As requested, welcome to the NHL 2012 off-season thread.

If anyone wants to see the 2011-2012 NHL season thread, it is here.

I guess we'll use this thread to discuss any trade or free agent signing speculation. I'm sure we'll also get into the upcoming CBA negotiations, and probable strike/lockout.

I do like that someone downvoted you already and I didn't have to do it for a change.

What I'm watching:
- Bruins need a #1 goalie so there should be some news on Tuukka and Thomas coming up in the next week or so (I heard by 6/25).
- Bruins need a top forward but Chiarelli doesn't seem eager to get anyone given that he doesn't know the rules for next season yet.
- I'm pretty worried that the season is not going to open on time... I just don't see how it will given the current positioning. Both sides are going to need to feel some pain to give in at all.

Other news:
I ran into Daniel Paille and his wife Dana on Saturday walking around my neighborhood in Boston. Got to talk to him for ~10-15 mins. They are very cool, down to earth people.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I do like that someone downvoted you already and I didn't have to do it for a change.

Meh, doesn't matter. I can't see the votes anymore. They don't exist to me.....

- I'm pretty worried that the season is not going to open on time... I just don't see how it will given the current positioning. Both sides are going to need to feel some pain to give in at all.

Well, at least the Bruins already have your $$$$. :D

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Pretty avid Puck Daddy reader - didn't really start reading his stuff regularly until the end of the regular season, but been hooked since, and man does he have a lot of stuff going on today.

- Gary Bettman could take over New Jersey Devils, according to NY Post - even with their ~$30mil in postseason sales, they're woefully short on an upcoming bank payment and drowning in debt. It's in case the current ownership group can't work something out, but interesting.

- Radulov probably heading back to the KHL

- Should Edmonton draft Neil Yakupov, regardless of their stocked talent up fnort, when he's clearly the best player in the draft? Or anti-Russian hysterics combined with addressing direct needs (defense) be the route taken?

- Then, Angry hockey mom turned viral video star explains her on-ice tirade against refs (Video) is worth a watch

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I wonder what the pens will do with staal. Him and crosby are in the last year of their contracts and they're gonna be up to the brim on cap space once they resign sid. Fluery also needs to play more consistently or they might drop him(he'll put up a string of great games then goes on bad streaks like he did against philly).

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Lightning grabbed Lindback from the Predators so that makes the goalie situation in Tampa a bit better. That was just one of our issues - we need a healthy blue line too. Mind boggling that you have a 60 goal scorer but no playoffs. Here's to a better 2012 season - well, if there is a season. :(

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^Never mind the 60 goal scorer. To have a few of those other players on the team along with Stammer and not make the playoffs is pretty mind boggling.

I wonder what the pens will do with staal. Him and crosby are in the last year of their contracts and they're gonna be up to the brim on cap space once they resign sid. Fluery also needs to play more consistently or they might drop him(he'll put up a string of great games then goes on bad streaks like he did against philly).

Fleury is a solid goalie, and is one of the best in the league. He just had a bad playoffs. He was 42-17 with a 2.36 GAA in the regular season. No way the Pens are going to deal him.

The Pens have a couple of really hard decisions to make. They need to hold onto Staal because of Crosby's health. But they're up against the cap, so it'll be really difficult for them to figure it all out. I think it's a given that they'll re-sign Crosby, so how they'll handle Staal's situation will be interesting.

But hey, we'll take both Fleury and Staal off your hands, no problem.:D

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think they can deal staal, since they've got malkin and crosby and still be good. They need to trade away paul martin his salary is 5 Mill a year and he sucks. It'll be interesting to see if staal wants to stay on a team that's gonna be a contender every year or if he'll leave for more money.
yea fleury's still a great goalie, but he had a bad start to last season too he's great when he's hot, you never know if the good or bad fleury will show up.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
yea fleury's still a great goalie, but he had a bad start to last season too he's great when he's hot, you never know if the good or bad fleury will show up.

I'm confused, because Fleury had the best year of his career in terms of wins, second most minutes he's ever played, and the second lowest number of losses. His GAA was also closer to the lower end over his career.

He had 42 wins last season, and he only played 67 games. I'll take that kind of consistency any day.

Look, I know he had a horrible playoffs, but that was more out of character than in character for him. You can't expect him to be perfect for his entire career.

Plus, he has the trust of his teammates. That goes a long way, even after a not so great playoff performance.

Fleury's career stats

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
I'm wondering what the Hawks are gonna do with Kane. The more I hear, the worse his drinking issues sound.

Yikes. 20-something and lots of money = trouble. Seguin will be watched here for the same thing. He's got some leadership to keep him going the right direction I hope.

I'm confused, because Fleury had the best year of his career in terms of wins, second most minutes he's ever played, and the second lowest number of losses. His GAA was also closer to the lower end over his career.

He had 42 wins last season, and he only played 67 games. I'll take that kind of consistency any day.

Look, I know he had a horrible playoffs, but that was more out of character than in character for him. You can't expect him to be perfect for his entire career.

Plus, he has the trust of his teammates. That goes a long way, even after a not so great playoff performance.

Fleury's career stats

Good summary. I think people fold in the playoffs sometimes. Being there, especially for a goalie, is a skill that generally needs to be developed. Granted, Quick did some amazing stuff this season but I don't think that is the norm.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I'm wondering what the Hawks are gonna do with Kane. The more I hear, the worse his drinking issues sound.

this is weird- Kane does have a "no movement clause" but read this from capgeek-

NMC (only eligible in 2014-15, details TBA)

does that mean the NMC doesn't kick in until then? If so what does he have now?

I don't see the Hawks moving him-too much money, too much ego for a team to handle

----------

Lightning grabbed Lindback from the Predators so that makes the goalie situation in Tampa a bit better. That was just one of our issues - we need a healthy blue line too. Mind boggling that you have a 60 goal scorer but no playoffs. Here's to a better 2012 season - well, if there is a season. :(

This summer will be an interesting test for Yzerman. There are a lot of names that could be available (Nash, Suter, Ryan, Getzlaf) and I think the Bolts could get one of them and even one would make that team better.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
this is weird- Kane does have a "no movement clause" but read this from capgeek-

does that mean the NMC doesn't kick in until then? If so what does he have now?

I don't see the Hawks moving him-too much money, too much ego for a team to handle

I don't know. But I bet they put him through rehab. Apparently, the Hawks had his Dad live with him during the playoffs, so he wouldn't go out on a binge. That's not good. If that's the case, there are problems. I hope he gets all that worked out.

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Fleury's career stats
yeah he's a great goalie and I don't think the pens would have won the cup in 09 if it wasn't for his performances in the caps and red wings series. I just think he has a high salary for someone who plays as inconsistent as he does. It's kinda frustrating watching go down early in the playoffs the last 3 years when he was a big part in them losing, but when he's hot he's defiantly a top 5 goalie. I think johnson struggling all season hurt the pens a lot. I'm glad they got vokoun he's a solid backup and can step up if he needs to

with staal I'd rather see the pens keep 3 solid players like dupuis, kennedy, and cooke rather than sign him and not have cap space for those 3

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

I don't know. But I bet they put him through rehab. Apparently, the Hawks had his Dad live with him during the playoffs, so he wouldn't go out on a binge. That's not good. If that's the case, there are problems. I hope he gets all that worked out.

Well, if he got over punching a cabbie and acting like a jerk so far, I think he'll be fine until he gets arrested. Wasn't his dad already doing that? Or just like half living there? Kind of got that impression from his NHL 36 episode.

They should not give Crosby $90M/10 years and should re-sign Staal. Should incentivize Crosby's deal as much as possible because amazing as he is, if he's gone in a few years, that deal can cripple the franchise. If Vokoun bounces back at all from last year, he'll be a solid back up for Fleury. Johnson was no good except for punching people.

Lindback had a setback year last year, so really wonder how he handles the pressure of the starting gig. He does still have a great upside (and [up] SIZE) given his age, so we'll see.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Well, if he got over punching a cabbie and acting like a jerk so far, I think he'll be fine until he gets arrested. Wasn't his dad already doing that? Or just like half living there? Kind of got that impression from his NHL 36 episode.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I just would rather not see that happen.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
should be a lot of trades around draft day.. I hear about 2-3 blockbuster trades so far.. I'll be hearing a lot about Nash the next couple weeks as I'm a Rangers fan lol.. should be interesting

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
how horrible was that award show?!

and nothing about the kings?! they won the STANLEY CUP!

Maybe they were all wasted at the balagio?

I am sure Quick is thinking

"Henrik you can have that vezina. I will hold onto my Conn Smythe, My cup and my ring."
and yes the awards stunk

----------

For the right price, yes.

His contract sucks, but if the Canucks take one or two of our crappy contracts to offset Luongo's 10 year contract, it would work.

What is your dream trade and what is one that is realistic ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.