Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isloth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
FL
i've been team jailbroken since 2009 so I know a lot about it (not everything). I have a iphone 4 and was on 4.1 for a long time because i didn't feel like updating and starting from scratch. I just bought a new macbook pro and i synced my iphone and updated it to 5.1.1, obviously unjailbreaking it, well now im in the process of building my phone back to where i want it to be and now my safari stopped working. It will open for a few seconds then quit. I tried cleaing all the cookies, turning off my phone, uninstalling the last few things i downloaded on cydia but nothing seems to be working. I think I am gonna end up restoring my phone and doing all my stuff over again (which sucks) ...

is there an alternative to safari that is just as good?
is there a way to fix this bug?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Dolphin is in my opinion the best alternative! Swipe gestures, full screen mode, desktop mode, and you can download pretty much anything from websites. I download all kinds of stuff and use iFile to access the downloaded files. I use it so often I set up a bookmark in iFile for quick access to the downloads folder.

Best of all it's free!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Delete all addons for safari, eg safari downloadmanager etc, it looks like 1 of your 4.1 cydia tweaks is not compatible with 5.1.1

You can also go into SBSettings/more/mobile substrate addons

Disable all addons and enable again 1by1 to find the bad tweak

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Delete all addons for safari, eg safari downloadmanager etc, it looks like 1 of your 4.1 cydia tweaks is not compatible with 5.1.1

You can also go into SBSettings/more/mobile substrate addons

Disable all addons and enable again 1by1 to find the bad tweak

Great thinking TriJet! If the OP has safari download manager installed that's EXACTLY the problem. The symptom described is precisely what happens on ios 5. Safari closes the second you open it.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Dolphin is in my opinion the best alternative! Swipe gestures, full screen mode, desktop mode, and you can download pretty much anything from websites. I download all kinds of stuff and use iFile to access the downloaded files. I use it so often I set up a bookmark in iFile for quick access to the downloads folder.

Best of all it's free!

^Agreed!

I would try TriJet's recommendation first, but out of curiosity, what jailbreak method did you use?

When Safari crashes, can you still find and open Cydia? What about mail? I'm wondering if you perhaps ran the tethered iP4 JB for 5.1.1 and didn't realize it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.