Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #51
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Just one of the many reasons why cloud storage is a bad bad idea.

Other reasons:
- Security
- Lack of connectivity everywhere
- Internet provider problems (lagging, busy, cant connect, etc.)
- content access based on a company rather than yourself

Yet so many people think cloud computing is the future, if it is we're in for a horrible future.
iEvolution is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #52
TheStoof
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerr69 View Post
I have no iMessage, this reminds me of all the times blackberrys servers are offline.
Time to give up on iPhone because they fail for one day in five years. Yep!
TheStoof is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #53
delnerdo
macrumors newbie

icloud status page

here http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/
delnerdo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:35 PM   #54
shady825
macrumors 68000

Game Center was also down for me too.
Everything seems to be ok now tho.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:38 PM   #55
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

This is a good example of why Apple's cloud computing beats Google's. Can't connect to iCloud - at least your computer still works and you can get at your apps + documents.
thekeyring is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:38 PM   #56
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a

Another reason why you still need onboard storage. You can't always depend on having the 'cloud' being up for you or the connection to get to it.
saintforlife is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:39 PM   #57
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerr69 View Post
I have no iMessage, this reminds me of all the times blackberrys servers are offline.
Except when BBM goes down a BB doesn't automatically try to re-send as a SMS.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:41 PM   #58
teamrusnac
macrumors newbie

u know what the best part of all of this is? youll never hear apple acknowledge there is a system wide issue. Theyre gonna get it up and running again, and then act like nothing ever happened.

My imessages werent going through either and couldnt access discussion boards.
teamrusnac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:41 PM   #59
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

My .me account is acting strange, iMessages is working fine on my 4S, and I am listening to iTunes match though things have been up and down the last hour.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:42 PM   #60
miss.manson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to miss.manson
Everything appears to be fine here.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:43 PM   #61
5thSymphony
macrumors newbie

No problem from Montreal, QC

5thSymphony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:44 PM   #62
onepremiere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
This is why I prefer to have everything stored locally on my device and end up getting the highest capacity I can. A huge drawback of cloud computing is that someone else has to maintain your access.
I wonder how many people had a critical file they couldn't access in iCloud today? Good for managing contacts and calendars but not reliable enough for anything else.
This.

It's astonishing that this isn't common sense. Promotes laziness because of its convience, and when it fails, we piss and moan. I've lived by the virtue that if you want something done right/your way, do it yourself. Quality and reliablity are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

I've always backed up locally. Cloud computing is just a perk, and if it fails, no harm no foul.
onepremiere is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:47 PM   #63
mrbell1984
macrumors newbie

I had loss of full service, every idevice I owned was down and only just come back up. Could not log into anywhere with an Apple ID.

Service appears to have been restored.
mrbell1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:48 PM   #64
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
It's astonishing that this isn't common sense. Promotes laziness because of its convience, and when it fails, we piss and moan. I've lived by the virtue that if you want something done right/your way, do it yourself. Quality and reliablity are quickly becoming a thing of the past.
What. How awesome do people think a free service with no SLA is going to be? Who is storing critical files on here? There are vendors out there who are doing cloud based computing/SaaS very very well every day of the week. iCloud != industry leading 99.999% standards
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:49 PM   #65
Spooner83
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

A number of MacRumors readers are reporting that iCloud services are currently down, and based on the number of reports it appears that the outage is quite widespread. Apple's iCloud system status page is currently acknowledging access issues, although there is no estimate of the proportion of iCloud users being affected.

Beyond iCloud, Apple's iMessage service also appears to be down, with messages failing to go through as the sending process hangs prior to completion.

Update: Users are also reporting problems with Apple's developer portal and iTunes Store access, although pieces of Apple's online services do appear to be coming back online. We're even hearing that Apple may have experienced Internet issues for its own employees at its Cupertino headquarters.

Article Link: Apple's iCloud and iMessage Services Experiencing Significant Outage
That's nothing, download iOS6 beta and there's so many bugs in it that the Orkin man would quit!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:50 PM   #66
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

I've not had any problems all day. I guess I was lucky that none of this affected me.
applefanDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:50 PM   #67
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

At about the exact same time I was having trouble getting Google to load. I thought the sky was falling.
bigcat318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:50 PM   #68
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
This.

I've always backed up locally. Cloud computing is just a perk, and if it fails, no harm no foul.
Agree 100%

Trouble is, we have BIG companies that are selling this to the public, and kids of the future that don't worry it'll all be fine.

Again, I think the cloud is great, but only for some handy convenience to make access easier on some limited devices, perhaps when out and about.

But NEVER trust or RELY on it.

I bet Apple and others have lots of legal things you agree to that makes any loss of your data by it's services nothing you can hold them legally accountable for. You lose your data held on their servers due to a fault with their systems and tough luck, you should of kept a backup.

I am sure, at time goes on we will actually find more and more dumb people having their only copy of their data on cloud type systems run my 3rd parties.

And like not locking your doors, or fixing an alarm it's only after they have lost anything will they learn.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:50 PM   #69
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post

Other reasons:
- Security

Yet so many people think cloud computing is the future, if it is we're in for a horrible future.
I have my own cloud storage. Basically, I've installed a Debian distro in a virtual machine provider and created a sshfs mapping in my system thanks to MacFuse. Obviously, it's more expensive than a cloud storage plan, but I feel more comfortable having all control over my data, encryption, etc, although it doesn't exempt me from having a local backup.
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #70
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper9 View Post
iCloud and iMessage suck. They are the most non-apple products/services to date. Buggy, constant issues, not working, etc.

And the fact that you can't change the email address associated with your account is beyond ridiculous.
Totally disagree. I've had no problems with iCloud since it launched, not a one. iMessage has been great on my iPhone. I did get rid of the iMessage beta on my Mac because of bugs, but that's why it's a beta.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #71
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Found this little bit and thought it worth a chuckle:

"We must kill the humans"
bedifferent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:52 PM   #72
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Had some issues accessign iCloud.com but now seems resolved.

I am receiving a huge amout of spam today from my .mac address. Related?
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:52 PM   #73
hoofbite
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post

Other reasons:
- Security

Great post, needs to be put at the top of every web page, broadcast on every channel, played on radio and signs made on the streets. Relying on Cloud storage is one of the dumbest ideas ever, there is no good in it.....I hope it doesn't become a worldwide thing.

If hospitals, law offices, the government, corporate and local business, banks, etc. all use cloud storage as their primary storage....then one outage and we are all ****ed.

Stick to local hard drives and paper.
hoofbite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:53 PM   #74
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000

I had to restore my WIFI iPad a few weeks a go and couldn't because the activation server was down for most of the day.

Anyway, it seems the UK App Store is working ok.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:56 PM   #75
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

No problems for me in Washington State and I've been online all day.
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion