Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Friend,

I read the article and know it wasn't an app. :rolleyes: My comment was directed to Google's relentless pursuit to ignore rules, strict limits, and public respect. Even if Google didn't mean to do it, people are going to have a hard time trusting a company that makes a living mining personal information and breaks our trust by manipulating said flaw. Yes, we can opt out. Great. But explain to me why anyone should trust a company that does all that? Does opt'ing out even make a difference? Yes, I'm sure other companies have their hand in the same cookie jar, but Google's got a reputation for crossing that line over and over again.

Namaste.

I get your point, I really do.

But I still have to ask, as nobody (ever) seems to have provided a real valid answer:

So what if Google know your favorite restaurant? Or that you visit TheNYTimes.com every morning at exactly 8:30 am. Whats the big deal exactly? By knowing this information about you does it somehow cause you great problems in your day to day life?

Seriously. Think about this for a minute before you (or anyone else who wishes to) answer. What is the issue with Google using your location and search habits to serve up personalized ads, which you'll probably not click on anyway.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
Friend,

I read the article and know it wasn't an app. :rolleyes: My comment was directed to Google's relentless pursuit to ignore rules, strict limits, and public respect. Even if Google didn't mean to do it, people are going to have a hard time trusting a company that makes a living mining personal information and breaks our trust by manipulating said flaw. Yes, we can opt out. Great. But explain to me why anyone should trust a company that does all that? Does opt'ing out even make a difference? Yes, I'm sure other companies have their hand in the same cookie jar, but Google's got a reputation for crossing that line over and over again.

Namaste.

Yet the mass ignorant continue to use Facebook.

Namaste.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Could it look any more like Passbook? Good grief google...rabid thieves.

----------

I get your point, I really do.

But I still have to ask, as nobody (ever) seems to have provided a real valid answer:

So what if Google know your favorite restaurant? Or that you visit TheNYTimes.com every morning at exactly 8:30 am. Whats the big deal exactly? By knowing this information about you does it somehow cause you great problems in your day to day life?

Seriously. Think about this for a minute before you (or anyone else who wishes to) answer. What is the issue with Google using your location and search habits to serve up personalized ads, which you'll probably not click on anyway.

The fact that you have to ask, the fact that you don't get it, is the biggest problem with your generation/culture/whatever you want to call it.

You don't understand privacy issues, or even understand why privacy is a concern. You people click "Allow" on every damn thing on the web and have no idea what you're opening yourself up to. You live in a deluded world where nothing can ever possibly affect you, until it does, and then you'll be the first person crying, "not fair! Not fair!, I want restitution!" But by then you'll have given up too much.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Could it look any more like Passbook? Good grief google...rabid thieves.

----------

The fact that you have to ask, the fact that you don't get it, is the biggest problem with your generation/culture/whatever you want to call it.

You don't understand privacy issues, or even understand why privacy is a concern. You people click "Allow" on every damn thing on the web and have no idea what you're opening yourself up to. You live in a deluded world where nothing can ever possibly affect you, until it does, and then you'll be the first person crying, "not fair! Not fair!, I want restitution!" But by then you'll have given up too much.

^ This here is the 'nobody ever provides a valid answer' that I was referring to. You've completely avoided my key points.

Also, how exactly did you determine what generation or culture I'm from?

Seriously, if you cant answer the question, dont bother trying.

uwetodd

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
^ This here is the 'nobody ever provides a valid answer' that I was referring to. You've completely avoided my key points.

Also, how exactly did you determine what generation or culture I'm from?

Seriously, if you cant answer the question, dont bother trying.

I think many view this as both an invasion of privacy and at the least leans toward "nanny state" ideology. Yeah, I get it. Ads are a small price to pay when we're searching for a gas station or place to pee. It's what info they're collecting, how often, and what companies (such as Google, FB, etc) do with that info that ruffles ppl's feathers.

It's a slippery slope because we rely on having everything at our fingertips, yet want to leave ZERO fingerprints. (You like what I just did there?;))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.