Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:13 PM   #101
AR999
Banned

Wow, you would think all the services (icloud, imessage, itunes) would be independent on one another to prevent something like this happening.

Huge ******* up.
AR999 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:18 PM   #102
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

iMessage is working for me... Is the rain of terror over?
mrsir2009 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:18 PM   #103
quickmac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex00100 View Post
So what? It will be fixed pretty soon anyway. Apple is not a company that would have its services down for days.
Hahaha. Let's hope not. We've all seen how "quickly" Apple responds to security threats on OS X...sometimes weeks before a fix. Of course this outage will be fixed quick...how will people buy Apps and buy Apple items from the iPhone Apple Store App...when the dollar is on the line you're damn right Apple will have it fixed.

Anyways all is up and running here in Philadelphia.
quickmac is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:19 PM   #104
onepremiere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
this fantasy that stuff built 50 years ago was made better than today, is just a fantasy.

making stuff was more expensive and you had all kinds of repair shops because people fixed their things. today people just buy new. its cheaper and you get a newer product with more/better features
Point taken. Though extremely depressing. Buy, Replace, Replace, Replace.

Apple is doing it right IMO. I've got a G5 Tower for late 2004 that my Dad is still using today. Yeah he only uses it for email and the internet, but the fact that is has not had a single hick-up in almost 8 years? Those are the products I am going to buy. Not going to spend less, and repeat that cycle till you've exceeded the cost of a high quality product.
onepremiere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:19 PM   #105
Fabricman112
macrumors regular

actually all services are back online here in Sweden again... I guess I was unlucky to hit the 3h downtime or whatever
didnt even get annoyed haha
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:22 PM   #106
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
Point taken. Though extremely depressing. Buy, Replace, Replace, Replace.

Apple is doing it right IMO. I've got a G5 Tower for late 2004 that my Dad is still using today. Yeah he only uses it for email and the internet, but the fact that is has not had a single hick-up in almost 8 years? Those are the products I am going to buy. Not going to spend less, and repeat that cycle till you've exceeded the cost of a high quality product.
i like apple, but i bought my father in law a $300 toshiba laptop. very well built and will probably last a long time as well. only reason i like MBP's is they are something nice to treat yourself. otherwise they don't do anything more than a cheaper laptop will do, except for gaming
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:23 PM   #107
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Nothing like a minor (temporary) service interruption to bring out the Applehaters; conspiracy theorists; neo-Luddites; and cranks.

Being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream Call Me Maybe from your iCloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.
vrDrew is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:25 PM   #108
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Lack of Reliability is the downside of "the cloud". If you can't get your files, your screwed. Mind you, so far, iCloud has been OK.
that's why there's something called file caching

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrdrew View Post
being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream call me maybe from your icloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.
unplugme71 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:27 PM   #109
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a

Never noticed anything here. Have been iMessaging, streaming iTunes Match and getting Mail all day long without so much as a hiccup.
b-rad g is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:32 PM   #110
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwood11 View Post
No problems for me in Washington State and I've been online all day.
Where do you live? I live in Seattle and it hasn't been working at all
joeshmo2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:35 PM   #111
jamesarm97
macrumors 6502a

Kind of reminds me of the original iphone before there were apps and everything was "Web" based. I couldn't go into a grocery store and check my shopping list because of no coverage in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Welcome to the world of Cloud computing when access to your data is in the hand of someone else and stored somewhere else.

You just know sooner of later it's all going to go pear shaped.

The difference is, when it goes wrong, BOY will it go wrong.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:35 PM   #112
trunten
macrumors regular

Fine for me (UK). Is the issue just in the US or more widespread?
trunten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:36 PM   #113
parapup
macrumors 65816

Well, you do get to marvel at those shiny error messages - UX win
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:37 PM   #114
ade2bee
macrumors regular

well I'm using a galaxy s2 to syc most of my important stuff over dropbox, wunderlist, evernote, whatsapp, skype with my iPad with loads more function as well... no probs
ade2bee is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:39 PM   #115
sascha h-k
macrumors 6502

dev was also down but now all went back to normal ..
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #116
iPhoneApple
macrumors 6502

never went down for me
iPhoneApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #117
digitalotto
macrumors newbie

Los Angels - no issues

been using everything all day and no issues
digitalotto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:43 PM   #118
Kenn Marks
macrumors regular

Thank Heavens I Didn't switch from MobileMe - YET

If this is what I have to look forward to in 10 Days, Whoa Is Me. Like others have said in this post I use this every hour of every day and can't afford to have mail as well as all it's other services down for more than a half hour. With a server farm that big they should have redundancy of redundancy both in hardware and with their data pipe sources. THe MobileMe Clock is ticking PLEASE Apple give me the warm fuzzies about making the switch. I bought a new MBA last Monday so my hardware is compatible and I'm moving my web sites and Public folders as I write, so I'm making preparations on my end. How about you Apple!!!
Kenn Marks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:44 PM   #119
Wayne s
macrumors regular

Dont know if this is connected but I have just been charged Ł4.99 for updating an app. Anybody else had this before. I have reported the problem so I hope its sorted quickly.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:44 PM   #120
I.Love.Apple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
Nothing like a minor (temporary) service interruption to bring out the Applehaters; conspiracy theorists; neo-Luddites; and cranks.

Being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream Call Me Maybe from your iCloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.
Are you suggesting that people should wait for a "permanent" interruption? This might take a while
I.Love.Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:45 PM   #121
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricman112 View Post
exactly.. http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/ weŽll fix this later
Ahahaha since 1997!? Wow, and I'm surprised I have yet to see it. Thanks for the laugh
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:46 PM   #122
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Everything Apple has been dead as a doornail for about 2 hours.

Seems to be coming back now - though still slow.
Jetson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:46 PM   #123
realeric
macrumors 6502a

Is the party over? I have no issues all day.
realeric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:50 PM   #124
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by verniesgarden View Post
Honestly it really should just remind people how trivial everything we do really is. I guarantee 99.9999% of people don't have files that are at all critical. who's life was in the balance due not getting to iCloud? what company just went out of business because they couldn't access a spreadsheet at that exact moment?
It may be trivial from a life view perspective, but if you've stored something on the cloud that you need for a meeting and can't retrieve it-- then in the short term you are going to be very stressed. It's unlikely a company is going out of business, but what about my individual concerns? They don't matter?

I'm talking about cloud computing in general now--not specifically iCloud. I'm concerned that many device makers are just assuming everyone will work from the cloud and so we are seeing devices with 4GB of capacity.

This makes people not only reliant upon buggy cloud services (as has been demonstrated today) but sometimes forces the person to also rely on capped, expensive data consumption. If you're away from home how does it make sense to spend $20 in data to stream a movie you've already paid for?

Local storage is the most simple and reliable solution. There is a place for cloud services, but it is in addition to and not a replacement of local storage.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:54 PM   #125
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
If Apple are to focus the new 'digital hub' as the cloud, It'd be nice if they made it reliable first.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion