Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

launchcenterprologo.png

Alternative launchers have long been a staple of power users, both on the desktop and mobile. As a result, the jailbreak scene is full of hacks for the SpringBoard launcher on the iPhone. AppCubby's latest release, Launch Center Pro, takes the speed dial concept for making calls to the next level.
Launch Center Pro creates lightning quick shortcuts to specific features burried deep within apps. Call a loved one, message a friend, launch Instagram's camera to quickly snap a pic, tweet, or turn your iPhone into a flashlight. Launch Center Pro gets you to where you're going faster than ever before!
The app uses URL shortcuts to pass tasks on to supported apps. Users can set up tasks to quickly load up a website, send an email, search Yelp, open an app, and more. The list of supported apps is lengthy, and will continue to grow as more developers add URL schemes to their apps.

Launch Center Pro is available on the iPhone for the introductory price of $2.99. [App Store Link]

Article Link: Launch Center Pro is a Speed Dial for Everything on the iPhone

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Pretty cool.... iOS has this in limited forms, but they need to open it up a bit. I still want to be able to open an address in Navigon rather than Maps or tap a date/event and have it open Pocket Informant. It looks like Launcher Pro is trying to solve this for iOS -- I would love to see this baked right into the operating system so I don't have to use an app to do it.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Pretty cool.... iOS has this in limited forms, but they need to open it up a bit. I still want to be able to open an address in Navigon rather than Maps or tap a date/event and have it open Pocket Informant. It looks like Launcher Pro is trying to solve this for iOS -- I would love to see this baked right into the operating system so I don't have to use an app to do it.

Agreed. I'd also like to see a better API for Notification Center to allow 3rd-party widgets like the Stocks and Weather ones.

And speaking of launching apps, for the love of $deity, let us set default apps for web links, emailing, document types, etc.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Agreed. I'd also like to see a better API for Notification Center to allow 3rd-party widgets like the Stocks and Weather ones.

And speaking of launching apps, for the love of $deity, let us set default apps for web links, emailing, document types, etc.

Not going to happen. Siri can provide stocks and weather without even having to glance at the screen.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
A really great and simple app for quick text entry is "Drafts", you can use it as a single point of entry for texts, emails, tweets, Facebook, omnifocus and loads of other text based apps.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
Ooook I guess I'll bite - why would I want a 3rd party app to do something like search google or send an email? It's just as many taps away in the native apps.

I can see some narrowly time-saving advantages of this but I feel like iOS is streamlined enough to not need a third party launcher... I use Watson with Lion but that seems like a different situation.

gccumber

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Is there a shortcut for launching Launch Center?

"launch Center is an app... launching Launch Center is an action... Introducing Action Center for Launch Center. All your app actions in Launch Center now in Action Center."

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
Wasn't there a site that allowed you to create Home Screen Bookmarks to do essentially the same thing? Apple killed that at the next available update, surprised this sneaked through TBH. Grab it while you can but don't be shocked if the functionality dies if the app gets nixed?

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Appcubby already have an app like this. So they have abandoned that and released this, whats the difference other than ui changes that they expect people to pay again for?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Ooook I guess I'll bite - why would I want a 3rd party app to do something like search google or send an email? It's just as many taps away in the native apps.

I can see some narrowly time-saving advantages of this but I feel like iOS is streamlined enough to not need a third party launcher... I use Watson with Lion but that seems like a different situation.

We might be in the minority here but I agree with you.

Last edited:

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Maybe they should have made the other one free and set the price for the pro version at $0.99 or $1.99. Then they don't have to bring the pro features to the older version since it's free.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A really great and simple app for quick text entry is "Drafts", you can use it as a single point of entry for texts, emails, tweets, Facebook, omnifocus and loads of other text based apps.
Thanks for brining it up--certainly fairly similar in underlying idea. It ended up leading me to find a free app that seems to pretty much do the same thing as Drafts, called DraftPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.