Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm aware of it and actually bought it. However, it's just the original SimTower game from the 90's ported to the iPad. While cool, the graphics are awful and you can only build a 2D tower. I'd like to build a 3D tower. Maybe something like the house creator in the Sims.

Oh, really? So it has none of YootTower's features, with the added locations and buildings? That's too bad. YootTower is vastly better. Unfortunately it was never ported to OS X.

I agree, a 3D SimTower game would be very cool.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Oh, really? So it has none of YootTower's features, with the added locations and buildings? That's too bad. YootTower is vastly better. Unfortunately it was never ported to OS X.

Yeah, no added locations nor features. It's just SimTower misnamed as YootTower.

I know a little OT, but some stuff I'd like to see in a new SimTower game:
-3D building
-Like The Sims, can choose from different sized lots in a city
-You have to buy the land first
-Can have different sized offices/restaurants, charge rent by square foot
-Maybe a cheat menu/system that makes the building's happiness go down the more you use it & prevents you from using special things (like shops or the final bonus item or whatever)

Last edited:

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I was playing sc4 on my eMac, when my son comes running into my room waving his iBook in the air "they are gonna release a new sim city!" I replied "is it gonna suck a bad as societies?" he replies "...I dunno, well I'm off to play sc4 now."

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Ugh... SimCity 4 was the reason I bought boot camp.

It took forever for Aspyr to port it to Intel, and it played like crap in Rosetta. Between shipping vs. local, seperate vs. bundle, and Mac full price vs. PC discount, It didn't cost much more to just buy an OEM copy of Windows and play it in Boot Camp. Plus I got to play games that never came out for the Mac.

If SmCity dosen't have a Mac release announced by the time the PC version comes out, I'll just get the PC version. =/

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
EA always undersells their system requirements. Unless you plan on making a city with population 20, it'll most likely bog down. Like every other Simcity game you try to run on minimum settings.
You must have bad luck -- Sim City 4 runs very nicely at maximum settings on my computer.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The new 2013 Sim City

Sim City at E3

Anyone excited about this? I played one of the early versions until my fingers bled. Then I played a later one and it was "been there, done that". I'm not sure what version this one is designated, nor if I should play it. How about you? I assume there will be a Mac version but don't know for sure.

Last edited:

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I think it's coming out in 2013. It looks pretty good compared to the older ones. I'm definitely planning on getting it.

XFactorer

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Eugene
I never played Sim City, but, I'm excited to try it out. Yeah, Spring 2013 is the launch date... around the same time as Tomb Raider!

...and do we know if there will be a Mac version at launch? The Sims franchise has always had Mac/PC at launch. Just wondering. I plan on having Windows 7 on my rMBP (whenever I get it... in 3 weeks' time).

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
SimCity last few versions have NOT been PC/Mac at launch... Mac ports have come later.

This latest one they have also said is PC only for now and thats all they are focused on... so I guess we can expect a Mac port later down the road.

chilly willy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I was a big fan in the early days (i.e. - floppy disk version :eek: ), then my interest kind of waned with the newer versions. I'm excited to see what they come up with now.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Also need to get people to know it is a connected game. Needs Internet I beleive. Just want it to keep out there with info so people don't get all angry and surprised even though it was known since start.

But yes I am super exicted for the new Sim City coming up.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
After the original Age of Empires and maybe Diablo 2, Sim City is the best game I have ever played.

Anyone knows the system requirements for the game?

Also need to get people to know it is a connected game. Needs Internet I beleive. Just want it to keep out there with info so people don't get all angry and surprised even though it was known since start.

NOOOOO!!!!! Really?

Why do they make this. Some people enjoy playing all by themselves!

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
NOOOOO!!!!! Really?

Why do they make this. Some people enjoy playing all by themselves!

I am not 100% on that though. Just know that they are making it online to have friends have connected cities. Just not sure if they will actually include an offline version or not.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

But yes I am super exicted for the new Sim City coming up.

I'm sorry, but for a single player game (even if there is a multiplayer component), this seems like BS but wait, all the new games are buying into this s---. This would keep me from buying it.

Last edited:

chilly willy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Part of my love for the original was spending hours making my own little world. Not sure what being connected will do for my needs/wants, as I like the sandbox nature of a solo game. I will keep an open mind, but it does seem all the developers seem desperate to have "connected" or multiplayer games just because your supposed to, and that's the trend.....

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
The game will most certainly have a solo mode. The "online only" feature, if indeed is has one, is merely a form of copy protection. It requires you to connect to the Internet so they can validate your copy of the game.

Diablo 3 has this, but you could happily play alone through the entire game if you desired.

smayragrace

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
No I am not excited about this..I am interested in Playing Battlefield 3 but not this Game I like to play..

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Just casually glanced at the linked article, but didn't really see any new news from the gameplay and walkthrough videos unleashed last year.

To the Internet connection whines, iirc it's not due to DRM at all, but due to all background stuff going on in the game.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
One of the things i loved about the original Mac version of Simcity 2000 was (among many things) that the Mac version was actually better than the PC version. Which was rare for games at that time. Have great memories playing that as a kid on my Performa 630.

Crysis 3

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
I was waiting for simcity a long time, like everyone else.
simcity is a classic.

I watched the trailer, it looks far better than other construction games I have seen before.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
I hope it nicely fits between the difficulty of Sim City 4 and Cities XL and isn't another dumbing down of the franchise like Societies was. Looking forward to this, bit of a surprise really, thought they'd abandoned SC in favour of The Sims?

Anyone look at some of the screenshots of Simcity 4 deluxe and the new sim city and have noticed the new sim city looks more cartoon like .

Even the fact that Simcity 4 deluxe looks more real and 3D and the new sim city is even more 3D but looks more cartoon like.

:confused::confused:

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
This game brings back memories and would look great on my macbook retina but the game kinda still follows sim city societies as in the placing individual buildings, does it the new version still allow you to highlight and zone areas?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.