Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quisguous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I've got a brand new Macbook Air 2012 with 8GB ram, 512 GB SSD, Core i7. I transfered all my files, apps, etc from my old Macbook Air. And last night it froze twice in an hour. I wasn't doing anything fancy, CPU load was very low. The freeze was full: no beachball, no crash screen, nothing, just everything stopped working and what was on the screen stayed there, frozen in time.

It was a bit warm in my home, 85 F or so, but I wouldn't expect that to freeze my brand spanking new machine. But, it hasn't happened since I've been using it in a cooler environment (70 F) as yet.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

spasur

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
This happened to me last night while watching a video on the web. The MBA was on my lap, but I avoided making contact with the center of the machine because it was so hot. It was above 80 degrees ambient temp.

mixman

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
I just had the laptop crash on me.

Was switching from Chrome to Firefox (flash) to watch the football game. Darkness and sound in a loop in background.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Dumb question, but did you guys run software update and install the fix Apple released specifically for graphics issues with the new MBA?

1. Hmmm. Why would Apple ship something without the latest update?
2. How did you find out about this so quickly?!! :eek:

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Kind of ironic...

My maxed out 13" I picked up last eve is bad.

It has frozen twice, and a restart or Shutdown gives a white screen, followed by a spinning wheel from anywhere from 10 seconds to 20 seconds before it completes the action.

thought it was a bad install from a migration, so today I just wiped the drive and restored fresh.

No data on the machine and it takes time to shut down, very odd.
It's going back.
My core 2 due shuts down, and restarts in a flash.

vingem

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
1. Hmmm. Why would Apple ship something without the latest update?
2. How did you find out about this so quickly?!! :eek:

it was on engadget & few other tech sites and actually an apple rep stopped by and asked the rep who was helping me set up my MBA to do the update before i could leave and to spread the word.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Is this heat related? Does it only happen above a certain temp when watching videos and such.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Was it a kernel panic, or did it just freeze up? If it does it again, have it checked out, as a bad logic board can lead to kernel panics.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I've got a brand new Macbook Air 2012 with 8GB ram, 512 GB SSD, Core i7. I transfered all my files, apps, etc from my old Macbook Air. And last night it froze twice in an hour. I wasn't doing anything fancy, CPU load was very low. The freeze was full: no beachball, no crash screen, nothing, just everything stopped working and what was on the screen stayed there, frozen in time.

It was a bit warm in my home, 85 F or so, but I wouldn't expect that to freeze my brand spanking new machine. But, it hasn't happened since I've been using it in a cooler environment (70 F) as yet.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

try resetting the SMC
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

then reset PRAM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

rookpsu

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Philadelphia
No worries,
They swapped it out; said it was most likely bad ram on the board.
The white spinning wheel shutdown screen gave it away apparently.

Pretty costly DOA, but it's all good.
Now preying this replacement (that is now restoring from a backup) is worth all that I am reading.:cool:

Any issues since the swap? I'm experiencing the same behavior on mine. Occasionally EVERYTHING will freeze, but more times than not, I'll still be able to move the eternally spinning ball until I'm inevitably forced to force a hard reset.

I thought it might be Chrome but the problems persisted even after I uninstalled it.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
My Macbook Air (2012 Ultimate 13'') just froze on me. I had to hold the power button to restart it.

This is the first time I've ever had a Macbook freeze up on me. I thought only Windows computers did this.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Any issues since the swap? I'm experiencing the same behavior on mine. Occasionally EVERYTHING will freeze, but more times than not, I'll still be able to move the eternally spinning ball until I'm inevitably forced to force a hard reset.

I thought it might be Chrome but the problems persisted even after I uninstalled it.

Did the swap last eve.
Restored from backup, all is well.
All day, no page outs and is leaps quicker than my old one.
Running VMware all day, along with OSX; it's a dream.

i7 2.0, 8gb 512.
Good for another 2-3 years I imagine.

Furi Kuri

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
I just picked up a new base 13in macbook air on Tuesday and I've had the same thing happen to me twice. I don't know what caused it, I was doing different things each time and I updated it the day I got it. I really hope this doesn't continue..

Edit: happened again today, with google chrome (no videos open) and mail running.

Last edited:

darthpotato94

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
i've had the exact same problems but since the latest update I haven't encountered any problems. I considered getting a new replacement but I don't think that's gonna help. Besides every time I call Apple, they tell me to reinstall Lion. **** that ****. I think there was a problem with flash and the new HD4000 onboard graphics. It's all good for me for now.

----------

My maxed out 13" I picked up last eve is bad.

It has frozen twice, and a restart or Shutdown gives a white screen, followed by a spinning wheel from anywhere from 10 seconds to 20 seconds before it completes the action.

thought it was a bad install from a migration, so today I just wiped the drive and restored fresh.

No data on the machine and it takes time to shut down, very odd.
It's going back.
My core 2 due shuts down, and restarts in a flash.

Are you talking about the 2012 model?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
i've had the exact same problems but since the latest update I haven't encountered any problems. I considered getting a new replacement but I don't think that's gonna help. Besides every time I call Apple, they tell me to reinstall Lion. **** that ****. I think there was a problem with flash and the new HD4000 onboard graphics. It's all good for me for now.

----------

Are you talking about the 2012 model?

Yes, I was referring to the 2012 model that I replace my 2010 with.
The replacement is so far so good. A very nice improvement.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Ive had freezes 4 times (Random apps. Aperture, Browser, File Transfer) and the black box crash screen twice (I wasnt even using it). I did do a migration from a 2011 Air so thats the easy blame but I dont feel like doing a fresh install so I'll just live with it and see if an update or ML fixes things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.