Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I think his issue is this: Let's say you have multiple monitors, say a 27" display and a 17" MacBook Display... you're doing work on the 27" but want to use the full-screen feature of an app on the 17" display. You click the icon in the upper-right to make it full screen and it turns your 27" display into a huge screen of linen!

If you could full-screen apps on one display and still allow you to have access to working on the other display, that would be tremendous, but as of now (Lion), you can't.

Just tried it, it still shows that gray background.

----------

It's about Fing time. I hated it when I was working the Genius bar when a new OS came out because none of us knew anything about it or saw it.

Ever heard of the internet? They say you can get anything you want from it. Why didn't you go down that route? Provided you weren't working the genius bar in 04 or something...

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Adobe?

Has anyone been testing Mountain Lion with any of the CS6 software?
I'm most concerned about Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign at this point.
Thanks!

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Early July release?

Unless bugs are found, looks like early July will be the release date. But, and this is a big but, how many of the applications I use will need to be upgraded for compatibility with it?

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
It's not, the second display goes grey when you do that.

In the second display that goes gray you can have a second full screen app.

If you intend to have a app that in full screen take advantage of the two display, then is another matter. I read somewhere in the forum that the you can move on the linen display those floating panels of the app you are using in full screen. There are API for using the second screen, however, developers haven't take advantage of it yet.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
If you could full-screen apps on one display and still allow you to have access to working on the other display, that would be tremendous, but as of now (Lion), you can't.

Not to be that guy but, does't even XP already do this?? :confused:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Hey guys, is ML x64 only yet? what's going on with that?

Yes it is. There is no longer a 32-bit kernel and most of the kexts ('drivers') are 64 bit only now. Older macs with 64-bit CPUs but 32-bit EFIs ('bios') could still work with a bit of hacking around. E.g. earlier Core 2 Duo machines and 2006/2007 Mac Pros. Older 32-bit machines might still be frankensteined into working since the first developer version did have a 32 bit kernel.

It's a shame as Mountain Lion is much nicer than Lion. The ability to semi-fix Exposé is a worthy enough reason to upgrade - reinstating a Snow Leopard like feel.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Not to be that guy but, does't even XP already do this?? :confused: I know that 7 and 8 do.

No. None of the Windows versions do this.

If you full-screen a WINDOW, it takes up only the screen the window is on. The other screen is available for working on something else. Mac OS X works exactly like this for WINDOWS.

But if you full-screen the entire app which is NOT a window (which in Windows would be full screen games, for example), both OS's work the same.

Maximizing a WINDOW to full-screen and full-screening an APP are 2 different things.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Has anyone been testing Mountain Lion with any of the CS6 software?
I'm most concerned about Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign at this point.
Thanks!
I'm guessing the others are fine too, but I can vouch for Photoshop CS6 working perfectly here in DP4.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
No. None of the Windows versions do this.

If you full-screen a WINDOW, it takes up only the screen the window is on. The other screen is available for working on something else. Mac OS X works exactly like this for WINDOWS.

But if you full-screen the entire app which is NOT a window (which in Windows would be full screen games, for example), both OS's work the same.

Maximizing a WINDOW to full-screen and full-screening an APP are 2 different things.

The important part about full screen apps is not how it fills the screen, but the behavior of the app when in full screen mode. This is as close as you are going to get to the ease of use of an iPad application on the desktop. The app "owns" the screen. Sheets are used instead of new windows in the mail client for example.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Great idea

Interesting, AFAIK this is the first time they've done this. I suppose it will help for training purposes, though Apple Store employees are aided in that ML is mostly the same as Lion, with a few refinements.

Finally!

I remember working OS X launches when I was employed by Apple Retail and having about two hours TOPS to play before customers came in and started asking questions I couldn't answer.

Thankfully Apple stores were slower and frequented by a far higher percentage of techies back then, so "let's find out together" was fun rather than aggravating.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Actually it turns your 27" display into a usable second monitor for any extra windows or panels for that particular full screened app. If it instead worked the way you described, there would be no way to get those additional panels or windows on the second monitor without other stuff cluttering in the background while in full screen. Thus defeating one of the main purposes of full screen mode.

Of course most people don't realize that full screen mode in Lion allows full screen apps to have secondary windows and panels displayed on the second monitor so they think the second monitor can't be used for anything while in full screen when that isn't really the case.

Apple needs to make people more aware of that functionality. And a lot of app developers haven't enabled that functionality in their apps yet so they are at fault as well.

Also in Mountain Lion, you can now choose to have the main window on either monitor with the additional content for the app on the other monitor. So the 27" will be filled with the app itself and the 17" will contain the inspector panels or whatever else while in full screen.

I see where you come from - and for a lot of people and work situations, this is a good thing. Now, imagine a person used to Windows with 2+ monitors: You have the possibility to have one application on "full screen" on one monitor and work on a different application on the second sceen because App 1 on the first monitor does not interfere with montior two. If you are video editing or so, it might not be needed, but many of us use 2 monitors to keep an eye on multiple things.: I can copy and past from one app to the other without having to minimize (or so) the main app, I can play a game on one monitor and keep my voicechat on the other one, I can browse and keep my mail program both maximized, I can work on my school paper on one monitor and have the eBook (web-database, etc) open on the other one, and so on. I can basically work on two different things at once which in a lot of situations is the point of having 2 or more montiors. I know you can adjust the window size of applications and "fake" a full screen this way, but I think the other poster wondered why there is no option to keep everything of the maximized app on one monitor when using "full screen."

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Full screen apps

All this endless debate about how full screen apps should and should not behave - what's wrong with just giving users a simple system preferences setting that allows them to decide how they want it to work?

Personally I think it's silly to have a $1000 display blanked out with linen fabric. The way Parallels uses dual monitors in full screen mode is great though. In fact Parallels is the only app I can think of that lets you even utilize your secondary display properly.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I am really excited. Im hoping for an early july release!:D

GM most probably will be released to developers early July exactly like Lion (July 1st GM release with Lion) and then it can go on sale late July like Lion (20th of July Lion). Even if it's digital distribution, you still need couple of weeks to test the GM before releasing it to the public.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I can't wait for this to be released. One thing I am UBER excited about is being able to AirPlay Mirror my iMac onto my bedroom TV. :D:D:D

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I really hope there is one Apple employee out there who can feedback the dual screening issue with fullscreen apps that is currently such a bane in Lion. I seriously hope there's a fix to this in Mountain Lion! Pleeeeease?

You mean how it blanks out the second screen, no way to use that? The testers have been screaming about that one since Lion, so Apple is well aware and just hasn't done anything about it.

In general, many people assume that software ships with problems when the situation is usually that they were reported by many people but the developer ships it that way anyway. Either they don't agree it's a problem, they don't think it's widespread enough to make a priority, or they have a deadline to meet and just run out of time.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
GM most probably will be released to developers early July exactly like Lion (July 1st GM release with Lion) and then it can go on sale late July like Lion (20th of July Lion). Even if it's digital distribution, you still need couple of weeks to test the GM before releasing it to the public.

Yeah, you are probably right, that makes complete sense. Either way we arent too far from the release :D

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I can't wait for this to be released. One thing I am UBER excited about is being able to AirPlay Mirror my iMac onto my bedroom TV. :D:D:D

Wait till you see how "snappy" Safari is. (And no, this time it's no sarcasm, the new scrolling in Safari using core animation is insanely fluid.)

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Submitting CV, think I can make it on time?

Now, that they made all these raises, way to go! :D Still wonder if that would be worth it for me since I got that $23,316.89 Benefit Package for all my insurances and other costs my employer has to pay. (and yes, that is the exact number ;) )

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.