Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLM9555

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
I confirmed my GF's 2011 13" has a samsung panel, my 2012 13" is LG. The text on my screen is clearly worse due to the decrease in contrast. Text is harder to read and looks dull... A bit dissapointed but both computers do have the samsung SSD...

Not sure what to do at this point, I guess I'll just get used to it and keep the LG screen.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Anyone have any comparisons with the AUO panel? I'm hoping not AUO<LG<Samsung!

RodPinto

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Brazil
What now?

I've just bought a 11 Macbook Air 2012... My wife has the same one, except it is a 2010 and i love its screen.... Now i'm worried!!!

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I confirmed my GF's 2011 13" has a samsung panel, my 2012 13" is LG. The text on my screen is clearly worse due to the decrease in contrast. Text is harder to read and looks dull... A bit dissapointed but both computers do have the samsung SSD...

Not sure what to do at this point, I guess I'll just get used to it and keep the LG screen.
I think you should return. We paid the same price not to expect a game of luck between these two screens

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I don't remember getting too involved last year with my LG panel. But then again, I had a problem early on and ended up getting a Samsung after all.

But I have to say, this LG panel is ********. Seriously, I have used a ton of different color profiles and calibrations and it still looks like junk. Itunes, iCal, etc, all look like over-saturated white messes. I'm not happy about it overall.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't remember getting too involved last year with my LG panel. But then again, I had a problem early on and ended up getting a Samsung after all.

But I have to say, this LG panel is ********. Seriously, I have used a ton of different color profiles and calibrations and it still looks like junk. Itunes, iCal, etc, all look like over-saturated white messes. I'm not happy about it overall.

did you try this one? It really helped, at least on my eyes

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13317203/

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I feel like I won a raffle or something...I've got the Samsung SSD and the Samsung screen. :D

Is yours an 11"? I went out and bought one today in the vain hope I'd get a Sammy, and am staring at an LG. I really believe some people's eyes are just more susceptible to differences in panel consruction. I could use the Samsung panels on my 2011 Air no problem, but something about the LG makes it feel like the text is jumping all over the place. It was the same situation last year.

lls4f

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
United States
Is yours an 11"? I went out and bought one today in the vain hope I'd get a Sammy, and am staring at an LG. I really believe some people's eyes are just more susceptible to differences in panel consruction. I could use the Samsung panels on my 2011 Air no problem, but something about the LG makes it feel like the text is jumping all over the place. It was the same situation last year.

No, I've got the 13in. Text looks crisp to me.

stayhungry

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I'm disappointed that Apple would allow such noticeable differences in quality among their products...that being said I really hope I get a Samsung screen on my recently ordered MBA 13''!

Fun fact I went to my local Apple store and checked all the MBA 13'' they had on display. They all had Samsung hahaha. Sneaky Apple putting the best on for show.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I wonder if they will let you keep returning if you keep trying for the samsung screen and ssd
Well, who ask them to manufacture two different screens and two different SSDs which differs in performance and quality and at the same price we're paying for? Even if the LG can be 'fixed' with a color profile, it is still incomparable to how the Samsung performs. You can modify a toyota but it can never beat a BMW's performance. I have no complaints for the Toshiba SSD. Write speed may be slower than Samsung's but the Read speed is actually near to Samsung's Read speed as well and since boot up is dependent on Read speed not write speed :D

----------

I'm disappointed that Apple would allow such noticeable differences in quality among their products...that being said I really hope I get a Samsung screen on my recently ordered MBA 13''!

Fun fact I went to my local Apple store and checked all the MBA 13'' they had on display. They all had Samsung hahaha. Sneaky Apple putting the best on for show.

exactly what happened to me. I was so amazed the screen was so colorful, I immediately went to purchase one. Brought home, opened it and the color was horrible. Extremely washed out, I just could tell something was very wrong and google up and found out mine was LG. Went back to the store, checked the demo set, it was a Samsung. Placed my LG next to Samsung to prove i'm not retarded and returned the MBA with LG successfully. The worst part was, an Apple genius told me to increase the resolution and 'fix' with a color profile. Seems to me like everyone can be an Apple genius :D

riley41090

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
:( i have the Toshiba screen and SDD

I was really happy with my MBA until i saw this thread - guess i need to not let it bother me, for my usage i doubt i'll see a difference and the screen looks good enough to me, i guess...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I got the LG screen... I'm finding that my screen is very dim even at maximum brightness. Anyone else notice this too?

I'm telling you, try the color profile i linked to. it made a massive difference in the way text looks as well as the contrast.

RodPinto

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Brazil
I got the LG screen... I'm finding that my screen is very dim even at maximum brightness. Anyone else notice this too?

I'm very afraid! Ordered a 2012 11' i7/8/256gb here in Brazil and will have to wait 3 weeks to have it shipped!

Imagine the problem if it arrives with the LG display!

If i decide to return it, i will have to wait at least 1 more month to get another one!

I need to pray a lot!

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Meh, I've got an LG. It looked quite yellow and washed out but I played with the calibration myself and made up a profile which I much prefer the look of (to my eyes). But this machine is mostly for travelling and dumping large amounts of camera RAW files on whilst away, not for serious editing, so I can live with it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think you should return. We paid the same price not to expect a game of luck between these two screens

They are both within spec. This is no different from Toyota putting Michelin tires on some Camrys and Goodyear tires on others.

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011
I've got a Toshiba SSD and the LG screen, so in effect, the worst of both worlds.

You would think I'm unhappy about that combination, but I'm actually fine.

I'm coming from a 2011 13" MBP which has a better color gamut and the difference is only distinguishable when looking at photos. I'm not a photographer and I mostly use my laptop for browsing/watching videos/office work, and I appreciate the resolution bump very much. In fact, I can't even tell the difference between the screens unless I have them placed next to each other.

Regarding the Toshiba SSD - It's still fast. Obviously the Samsung one is superior in benchmarks, but from my own experience with SSD's it is impossible to tell in real world usage. You could put in the fastest OWC or Vertex SSD into the Air and you still wouldn't notice the difference in application start times. So, unless you're dealing with terabytes of data on a daily basis, I wouldn't fret over the Toshiba drive.

I'm usually obsessive about these kinds of things as well, but in this case, there is nothing to obsess about. Of course it would be more fair if Apple used the same parts throughout, but that isn't the case here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.