Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larryloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I have a HTC Wildfire a3335 running Android, but yesterday it had an unfortunate bathing accident with some honey liquor...:eek: so it's in the repair shop getting cleaned. And likely to not come out alive...

But rather than cry over spilt bourbon ;) , I am in fact partly relieved because I've become rather dissatisfied with Android over the last few months for a few reasons. I've also become keen on Apple products since getting a Mac Mini and iPad a couple of years ago, and recently a new MacBook Pro which I am very happy with. I admit I boycotted the iPhones for years due to their "common trendy fanboyism". But also recently my attitude has warmed towards them.

Anyway enough of the ramble....I am wondering whether to get a new iPhone 4S and just put in my current sim card (Telstra 3G on a monthly mobile phone plan), or wait until the iPhone 5 is released?

I've read on these forums that iO6 was not really good? Is it correct that the iPhone 5 won't be released until September/October?

As a temporary solution I am using the company mobile phone (just to receive calls), which apparently is an iPhone 4S. Personally I think it works quite well, it's good quality and has the features I want (I'm not that fussy, as long as it works properly and doesn't crash a lot). Also I hope it's not as "stalker-ish" as Google Android, so far I don't think it is(?).

But I only have access to the company phone for a fortnight, so will need to get a new phone quite soon. I could get a $50 normal cheapy from the post office while waiting for the iPhone 5, but honestly I don't think I could downgrade from using a smartphone. But I am interested if its new features are worth waiting for.

Is the 4S available in one format, or other formats with less/more storage space? Is it expensive to purchase outright?

Thanks for your feedback,
larryloo.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Multiple storage untils are available. Yes it's expensive to purchase out right.

Some people will probably tell you to buy the 4s and sell it right before the new iphone comes out and then use that money to buy the new iphone.

I don't play the buy sell game so that wouldn't be an option for me.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I've read on these forums that iO6 was not really good? Is it correct that the iPhone 5 won't be released until September/October?
October is probably correct, but nobody actually knows. iOS6 has disappointed some people in that many of its features won't be available to older phones. The 4s and 5 will have those features. I don't think people are disliking it in general.

As a temporary solution I am using the company mobile phone (just to receive calls), which apparently is an iPhone 4S. Personally I think it works quite well, it's good quality and has the features I want (I'm not that fussy, as long as it works properly and doesn't crash a lot). Also I hope it's not as "stalker-ish" as Google Android, so far I don't think it is(?).
That really goes from app to app, rather than OS to OS. The Apple apps are not quite as bad as Google's, but they still do various tracking. If you really want more privacy, you do have to opt out of various settings. Of course, any phone knows exactly where you are all the time via gps and tower triangulation.

Is the 4S available in one format, or other formats with less/more storage space? Is it expensive to purchase outright?
Check Apple's website or Ebay. It's something like $600-800 to purchase new with no contract. Used would be a couple hundred less. You can see all the choices at Apple's website.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This question always comes up. Need a phone now? Get the 4S. Do you want the newest Apple product out there? Wait until the next one launches. It really is that simple.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
You'd be crazy to tie yourself into a new contract with an old phone this late in the game. By a used, cheap android (Samsung captivate is a good, cheap fone right now) and get the new iPhone in October.

I was in a similar situation last year at this time and bought a used iPhone 4 off eBay.

larryloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Thanks everyone so far for your responses. It's a big help.

----------

Multiple storage untils are available. Yes it's expensive to purchase out right.

Some people will probably tell you to buy the 4s and sell it right before the new iphone comes out and then use that money to buy the new iphone.

I don't play the buy sell game so that wouldn't be an option for me.

I don't play the "buy sell" game either. Once I buy something, it's to be kept for good, until it's well and truly broken.

JAT said:
Check Apple's website or Ebay. It's something like $600-800 to purchase new with no contract. Used would be a couple hundred less. You can see all the choices at Apple's website.

And I definitely don't play the "buy sell" game for $800!!! Goodness me!
I paid $230 for my Wildfire to own it outright. I'm not keen on paying nearly a grand for just a mobile phone! "Smart" phone or not!
But I will check the websites you suggested, thanks.

----------

This question always comes up. Need a phone now? Get the 4S. Do you want the newest Apple product out there? Wait until the next one launches. It really is that simple.

I do need a phone now, since it's on the cards that the Wildfire is wrecked for good. But if I buy something new I want it to be an improvement too.

You'd be crazy to tie yourself into a new contract with an old phone this late in the game. By a used, cheap android (Samsung captivate is a good, cheap fone right now) and get the new iPhone in October.

I was in a similar situation last year at this time and bought a used iPhone 4 off eBay.

Thanks for suggesting the Captivate. I'll look into it- I suppose it can be used as a backup/late night on the town taxi phone if I do decide to get the new iPhone 5. I just wish it was being launched sooner.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I do need a phone now, since it's on the cards that the Wildfire is wrecked for good. But if I buy something new I want it to be an improvement too.

The 4S will be an improvement over your wildfire (especially seeing you say you are starting to dislike Android). The successor to the 4S will almost certainly be an improvement over the 4S. Not trying to be a smart@$$, but that's just how it works. :)

larryloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
October is probably correct, but nobody actually knows.

Oh okay. I hope it gets scheduled a bit sooner.

iOS6 has disappointed some people in that many of its features won't be available to older phones. The 4s and 5 will have those features. I don't think people are disliking it in general.

I see. Oh well it won't be an issue for me then, thank goodness.

That really goes from app to app, rather than OS to OS. The Apple apps are not quite as bad as Google's,

Phew!

but they still do various tracking. If you really want more privacy, you do have to opt out of various settings. Of course, any phone knows exactly where you are all the time via gps and tower triangulation.

I was picky on Android's tracking, but it really annoyed me when a lot of the application updates (e.g. 'facebook for Android') flat out demanded to collect and transmit "anonymous data" to various parties if the update was installed. That is part of my grievance with Android (and Google in general). I don't mind if I myself broadcast to the world my location and details, but I don't want something else doing it. Everyone should have 100% control over those things.

In fact, part of the reason I resisted getting a smartphone for years was because of the GPS and tower triangulation.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I have a HTC Wildfire a3335 running Android, but yesterday it had an unfortunate bathing accident with some honey liquor...:eek: so it's in the repair shop getting cleaned. And likely to not come out alive...

But rather than cry over spilt bourbon ;) , I am in fact partly relieved because I've become rather dissatisfied with Android over the last few months

Well to be honest, the majority of people who try and dislike Android are the ones who get the cheap phones. The Wildfire is garbage. Why don't you try the new Galaxy S3 before deciciding to get an iPhone. It's night and day compared to a Wildfire.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Oh okay. I hope it gets scheduled a bit sooner.

I see. Oh well it won't be an issue for me then, thank goodness.

Phew!

I was picky on Android's tracking, but it really annoyed me when a lot of the application updates (e.g. 'facebook for Android') flat out demanded to collect and transmit "anonymous data" to various parties if the update was installed. That is part of my grievance with Android (and Google in general). I don't mind if I myself broadcast to the world my location and details, but I don't want something else doing it. Everyone should have 100% control over those things.

In fact, part of the reason I resisted getting a smartphone for years was because of the GPS and tower triangulation.

Well to be fair we don't know what permissions iOS apps use. There was a stink awhile ago about contacts or something being uploaded by some app. I don't remember which it was but I'm sure someone here does.

larryloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Well to be honest, the majority of people who try and dislike Android are the ones who get the cheap phones. The Wildfire is garbage. Why don't you try the new Galaxy S3 before deciciding to get an iPhone. It's night and day compared to a Wildfire.

Well I suppose I could consider it. But my issues with Google go further than just their Android. I never tried to dislike Android, I liked it from the get go but over time come to despise it, along with my growing concern with Google. Also I learned from other Android htc phone owners that they had similar issues, despite having better phones than the Wildfire.

How does the Galaxy S3 compare to the iPhone 4S?

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Well I suppose I could consider it. But my issues with Google go further than just their Android. I never tried to dislike Android, I liked it from the get go but over time come to despise it, along with my growing concern with Google. Also I learned from other Android htc phone owners that they had similar issues, despite having better phones than the Wildfire.

How does the Galaxy S3 compare to the iPhone 4S?

Happy reading
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1370977/

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
I'd wait for the 5, but if you don't think you'll really need that extra screen real-estate, LTE, among other things, get a 4S.

If you need a phone very soon, I'd get the SGSIII. Don't judge your experience with Android on an HTC legacy phone ;)

The GSIII should be a much cleaner experience. I can understand the 'stalker' part of Android, but as long as you check reviews of apps and think of logical reasons for their permissions, it's not nearly as scary.

Anyway, just my $0.02. Can't really go wrong with either.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Buy a 3GS all Craigslist. Should be in the $100 range for a 16 GB. Use that until iPhone 5 debuts, purchase iPhone 5 with your subsidy.

But whatever you do don't buy a Galaxy3, a of my buddies got them and hated them. Took them back an traded them for OneXs.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
But whatever you do don't buy a Galaxy3, a of my buddies got them and hated them. Took them back an traded them for OneXs.

Your buddy hated the S3? Omg, everyone needs to stop buying them immediately! They are clearly garbage if your buddy took it back!

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
Buy a 3GS all Craigslist. Should be in the $100 range for a 16 GB. Use that until iPhone 5 debuts, purchase iPhone 5 with your subsidy.

Both the HOX and GSIII are great phones. Why did they trade them back?

The only real reasons I can think of is the plastic build, maybe camera, and pentile display (provided that isn't your cup of tea).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Your buddy hated the S3? Omg, everyone needs to stop buying them immediately! They are clearly garbage if your buddy took it back!

For a guy that types nothing but opinions in this forum, you sure like telling others they shouldn't.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Buy the current 4S. It's the best iPhone out of all iPhones so far. Whenever Apple does a major upgrade, it's best to avoid it and get the following years model. My 4S is significantly better than my iPhone 4 was. The next one is less likely to be as good till it's refined. Save yourself the headaches. Choose iPhone 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.