Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
So far I think I'm going to play the below, but I do want to find others do buy on steam or the app store.

World of Warcraft
Starcraft 2
Diablo 3

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Counter-Strike: Source
Team Fortress 2
Portal 2
Killing Floor
Amnesia
Darwinia

Would also play Super Monday Night Combat but I can't seem to download the Boot Camp drivers...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Very few games on my MBA....Just solitaire, pool and a couple of other non-demanding things.

I'm surprised to see folks using the Air for graphically intense gaming...I wonder how my 2011 13" would fare in these games....It's below spec for Bioshock. Quake etc so I have never attempted to run them...Just use my MBP or iMac for intense games.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Counter-Strike: Source
Team Fortress 2
Portal 2
Killing Floor
Amnesia
Darwinia

Would also play Super Monday Night Combat but I can't seem to download the Boot Camp drivers...

Interesting list! Likewise I'm surprised. I know they run better on bootcamp windows but is anyone running these kind of games on mac steam with any success on decent settings?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
V
I'm surprised to see folks using the Air for graphically intense gaming...I wonder how my 2011 13" would fare in these games....It's below spec for Bioshock. Quake etc so I have never attempted to run them...Just use my MBP or iMac for intense games.

Why not? GPU-wise 2012 Air is on par with 2010 MBP. Bioshock (the first one) and all the Quakes are already so old, it would run them without any problems whatsoever.

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Interesting list! Likewise I'm surprised. I know they run better on bootcamp windows but is anyone running these kind of games on mac steam with any success on decent settings?

I'm running them all with High settings, vsync on, and getting all 60 fps.

EDIT: I should mention, I'm running them with the full 1440x900 resolution too!

awex

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
Minecraft
Diablo 2
Grim Fandango (with ScummVM, works great!)

I don't really game on my air though, I have a desktop PC for that

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Nope! All through Mac OS X Lion :)
The only game on my Boot Camp partition at the moment is Super MNC.
Now I have the drivers, I can see how well it actually works.
Also going to test out Skyrim...

Well, you've just seriously made me consider retuning to non-console hard gaming :D

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
How would the 13' i5 handle old-school games like GTA San Andreas and Vice City, Splinter Cell and the Unreal series, etc. ? Would it still go up to 100+ degrees Celsius and make the fan scream, or would it stay rather cool and silent?

Crooks

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
CALIFORNIA!
The fan runs a little higher than usual but it doesn't run at like 6500 rpm or anywhere near that.

You're definitely fine running old school GTA, that's what I've been doing

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
If u can play the game on windows(bootcamp) or mac which do u choose?

Maybe I load it on both?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.