Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
My cousin decided to buy a GS2 because he thought my iphone 4s battery ran out so quick.

Anyways he got the Samsung gs2 and his battery is horrible. It went from 100 to 37 percent in 2 hours.

Why is the Samsung gs2 battery so bad? Or is this a faulty phone?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Touchwiz and carrier BS.

Tell him to root, unlock the bootloader, install a custom ROM and kernel. No more battery issues for him.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I think an Android forum would give you better advice.

Try completely discharging the battery and then charge it back up and leave it plugged in for like 12 hours to make sure it is fully topped up. Also close stuff you don't need. I bet you your friend has like 20 things running in the background he doesn't need to.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I think an Android forum would give you better advice.

Try completely discharging the battery and then charge it back up and leave it plugged in for like 12 hours to make sure it is fully topped up. Also close stuff you don't need. I bet you your friend has like 20 things running in the background he doesn't need to.

We tried everything.

Anyway since he got it on Friday, he is going to his service provider and they said they will shipping back abd after 3 days he will recieve a new one.

Thanks anyway.
I told him to get a iPhone but....... Oh well

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
We tried everything.

Anyway since he got it on Friday, he is going to his service provider and they said they will shipping back abd after 3 days he will recieve a new one.

Thanks anyway.

Considering my GS2 got about twice the battery usage over the 4s, sounds like a faulty phone to me. Or you guys downloaded live wallpaper, a bunch of widgets that cnstantly updated, were in a bad reception area, so the phone was constantly waking the radio, had the screen at 100% brightness...

Lots of stuff effects battery life.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
We tried everything.

Thanks anyway.

Why wouldn't he just get the GS3? Unless he cared more for price as the GS2 would be cheap now.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
He doesn't want the GS3 because it's more expensive and he said that there is not much difference between the two

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
We tried everything.

Did you check what was causing the battery drain by checking in "battery" under settings? If so, what did it say?

It's a standard feature in Android and could help explain the cause.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-06-24-16-29-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-06-24-16-29-11.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 148

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My cousin decided to buy a GS2 because he thought my iphone 4s battery ran out so quick.

Anyways he got the Samsung gs2 and his battery is horrible. It went from 100 to 37 percent in 2 hours.

Why is the Samsung gs2 battery so bad? Or is this a faulty phone?

Simply a defect, its covered by warranty. Take it back.

I have the same phone and even with heavy use, I get at least 7 hours.

----------

Sounds Samsungy

"Samsungy" is one of my favorite songs.

They make great smartphones too :)

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Most likely he never calibrated it and doesn't have the phone setup right (that or does he have a ton of widgets and settings pushing every 5 min lol etc??), I've had two 4Ss (still have 1) and my GSII lasted longer then either stock, custom ICS Rom now so it's not even close, it's a bit better then my 4 in heavy use now. Which GSII does he have, as there are different models with different sized screes and processors etc. I know the Exyno's chip in mine is considered the best and most efficient.

There's apps like badass battery and others that you can install and monitor what's causing any drain/usage.

Or could very well be a faulty battery, it happens.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
I highly recommend downloading a task manager.

Occasionally killing apps that are running in the background saved my phone hours of battery life.

In my experience, iPhone 4S battery life is unmatched. The reason people claim it's not "true" multi-tasking is because it ends one app when you switch to another.

While for Android, if you switch from one app to another, say browsing facebook and then playing temple run, and then going to twitter, you'll have facebook and temple run running in the background, which eats up ram and battery.

This is why I recommend a task manager when using Android.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
He doesn't want the GS3 because it's more expensive and he said that there is not much difference between the two

I own both. This statment is comical in its naivety. This is like comparing the 3gs to the 4s. Why buy the 4s? It's more expensive and there is not much difference between the two.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Root?
Install some bootleg rom designed in some kids basement and void your warranty?
Install task killers?
Kill widgets?
Touchwiz?
Bloatware?
Turn off all those features you really want to use?

Should have gotten an iPhone...

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
???? Pretty much what it says lol, lasted longer for battery life in our heavy use with business. 4 was still tops, but with the ICS Rom I have now, about the same battery life or slightly better than my 4 depending on use.

What I mean is by "battery life", do you mean one cycle or the whole battery lifetime?

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I highly recommend downloading a task manager.

Occasionally killing apps that are running in the background saved my phone hours of battery life.

I recommend against this. Tasks managers that are configured to auto kill apps can potentially lead to worse battery life. Android's resource manager would get confused by apps that are constantly killed by an app killer.

Here is a thread that explains why: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/335110-why-you-dont-need-task-killer.html

You can pose your question on the Android forums. There is a thread for your specific phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.