Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtomac29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
I'm helping a friend set up her new wireless printer to interface with her Mac Book Pro running OSX10.7.4. She has a HP Photosmart 5510 and the router is a linksys, not sure of the model but fairly new. When we installed the printer it installed with no problems to her Dell desktop & Acer minicomputer & prints fine wirelessly. The software installs on her Mac (I used the latest version with the up-to-date drivers from the HP site) but will not print...gives a 'device not found' message. She can print using USB but the point of the new printer was to do it wirelessly.

The Mac is connected to the router and works wirelessly for other functions. I printed a test page for router and everything passed. The printer is working wirelessly also. Something is preventing the Mac from talking to the printer. I followed the suggestions on the HP troubleshooting site but nothing works. The site did have a critical update for Lion users which I tried to download but kept getting a 'disk is full' message. This is a fairly new computer that had standard Mac software plus MS Office. It's used primarily for documents in a work environment...so no games taking up space. Not sure why this won't download but if it did maybe it would solve the problem. Otherwise, somewhere along the way Bonjour was mentioned as a possible issue. If this could be a problem, is there a resolution?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... Not sure why this won't download but if it did maybe it would solve the problem. Otherwise, somewhere along the way Bonjour was mentioned as a possible issue. If this could be a problem, is there a resolution?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
HP drivers can have issues even in wired environment. Did you setup the printer wirelessly? Or, did your setup the printer using USB or via Ethernet and then try to use it wirelessly?

newtomac29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
I installed the software and at the beginning of setup it asked if I wanted to connect wirelessly. I checked the box for yes. It instructed me to connect with a USB to do that. I did, it transferred the settings from the printer (I assume) and told me to disconnect the USB now. I did that and it finished the setup. However, when I try to print I only get a 'device not found' window.

packattack12

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Have you found any fixes yet? I am having the same exact problem. I'm ready to throw this piece of _____ out the window. Please - any help would be greatly apprecaited!

newtomac29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Sorry but no good news as I never found a solution to the wireless printing problem. The printer works wirelessly with the windows computers but not with the mac. It prints fine with the mac when you connect the USB. My friend likes the printer and is willing to put up with the inconvenience.

I have a HP Officejet 6500 wireless and it works fine with my mac desktop. My daughter-in-law visited with her mac laptop and was able to print wirelessly once she installed the software. Maybe certain models do better than others?? I think we should be making big noise to HP to get this fixed...must cost business because there are a fair number of mac users.

packattack12

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it big time!

I def agree with you - even their website says its compatible with OS 10.7...I have posted on the HP forum as well and there's no fix either they just tell me to try stuff I already did. I can't remember what site it was but 508 people were complaining about it.

Apple should come out with their own printer or something.

I'm gonna try a couple more things and see if it works - good luck to you and thanks again!

Sorry but no good news as I never found a solution to the wireless printing problem. The printer works wirelessly with the windows computers but not with the mac. It prints fine with the mac when you connect the USB. My friend likes the printer and is willing to put up with the inconvenience.

I have a HP Officejet 6500 wireless and it works fine with my mac desktop. My daughter-in-law visited with her mac laptop and was able to print wirelessly once she installed the software. Maybe certain models do better than others?? I think we should be making big noise to HP to get this fixed...must cost business because there are a fair number of mac users.

Pauline40

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
Same printer, same problem.

I have been trying for the last 6 months with 2 different HP printers without success to connect first, a 3050 and now a Photosmart 5510 to my MacBook.
I have read and tried every means possible from Forums, Apple and HP, nothing resolved the issues. I am now of the view that until HP do something constructive we will never be able to use our AirPrint printers as they are meant to be used. Isn't this against the rules of the Trade Discriptions Act!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.