Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smiles77

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
In the present
Solar panels work well in Reno. "Free" energy.

Also if you have enough capital you can get nearly free cooling too. What you do is dig a big hole in the ground and bury pipe. At some depth (maybe 15 or 20 feet) the solid stays at the average year day/night temperature which is not really very high when you consider that night and winter temps are averaged in. So. you can have "free" cool water for your air chillers. But you do need to spend up front to dig a big hole the size of a few large swimming pools.

This system works well in the places where it snows too. you get "free" too. Mostly anyplace around the US the water comes up at about 58F. THis works well for both summer cooling and winter heating.

Installing these system is a BIG business now, Need a job? Learn how to engineer these ground heat systems

That was educational. Thank you.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
I wonder what the "other facilities" are.

If the data center here in Oregon costs $250M there's a big difference in expenditures.

Considering the name given to this project, I begin to wonder if it doesn't include a manufacturing/assembly plant.

Of course, like NC, I'm sure they'll also be adding a solar/fuel cell power system to stay off the grid or maybe even feed any excess to the grid.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
Why build a data center in such a hot place though? Wouldn't you end up using more power to keep the building cool?

I guess there's less chances of natural disasters there though, no hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

1. Not all that hot.
  2. Different type of cooling system that doesn't draw as much power as typical AC.
  3. Solar power.

Do any of these make a difference?

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
This is great news! Most of my family is in Northern Nevada and I plan to retire there someday. Maybe I can get a part-time job at the data center. :D

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
"Then we arrived in Reno, which is a bit like Las Vegas. Only worse."

- Jeremy Clarkson

That was the first thing I thought of as well when I saw the picture :eek:

What does that say about me, I'm an American who thinks of a quote from a British TV show host when confronted with a picture of an American city :rolleyes:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
This is good news for the whole iCloud front. They really do need one in Europe though.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011

Also if you have enough capital you can get nearly free cooling too. What you do is dig a big hole in the ground and bury pipe. At some depth (maybe 15 or 20 feet) the solid stays at the average year day/night temperature which is not really very high when you consider that night and winter temps are averaged in. So. you can have "free" cool water for your air chillers. But you do need to spend up front to dig a big hole the size of a few large swimming pools.

This system works well in the places where it snows too. you get "free" too. Mostly anyplace around the US the water comes up at about 58F. THis works well for both summer cooling and winter heating.

Installing these system is a BIG business now, Need a job? Learn how to engineer these ground heat systems

Cool, maybe they can build data centers into hillside cave dwellings? :)

2326909930_c4097d27e9.jpg

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why build a data center in such a hot place though? Wouldn't you end up using more power to keep the building cool?

I guess there's less chances of natural disasters there though, no hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

Lots of sunshine for solar panels which can also shade the building from the sun. Also sandstorms to etch the glass on solar panels to greatly reduce efficiency.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
This is great news for the Reno area. As a former semi-regular visitor, it was depressing to see the town slowly go downhill over the past several years.

Amen to that. It's a beautiful area, and that city has so much potential. It just needs the proper cash influx. Plus it'd be great to have a proper "Las Vegas 2.0" for NorCal residents.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Yup, and geothermal heating and cooling is awesome.

nvbrit

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Reno, NV
Dowtown Reno IS NOT east of Sparks. :confused:

Nowhere does the article say that Downtown Reno is East of Sparks, it says "Reno Technology Park, located east of Sparks along Interstate 80" which is correct as Reno Technology Park is located East of Sparks.

jesmith09

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012

You aren't serious are you? Cooling costs? It's only hot in Reno three months out of the year, and the temperatures fall into the 50s and 60s at night. Fall and Spring are mild, and winter isn't all too serious. Aside from that....cooling costs pale in comparison to other cost advantages. Real estate in Reno is dirt cheap since the bust. Taxes in Nevada are incredibly low, there is a large and inexpensive labor force that currently suffers from a high rate of unemployment (see supply/demand). Those factors outweigh cooling costs by light years. Operating in Newark, CA is far more expensive due to those factors.

Some of the comments on this thread are unbelievably dim witted.

Contrary to what your snarky tag suggests.....no, you're not always correct. In fact, this time, you're just....simple.

----------

Lots of sunshine for solar panels which can also shade the building from the sun. Also sandstorms to etch the glass on solar panels to greatly reduce efficiency.

We don't have sandstorms here.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I just talked to my buddy Jim Dangle in Reno, and he says it's for real. He's thinking of leaving local law enforcement to work security for Apple, assuming they need a shift supervisor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.