Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I wish they invested some of that money and gave us an alternative to iTunes strictly for music playback since iTunes in its current form is one big bloated mess.

Jasonr94102

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Why build a data center in such a hot place though? Wouldn't you end up using more power to keep the building cool?

I guess there's less chances of natural disasters there though, no hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

It's amazing, and embarrassing how stupid the average American is. The climate in Reno is ideal for passive cooling strategies. The fact that this is not common knowledge is disgusting. Other users have already commented about the possibilities, albeit even their posts are laughably simplistic.

Combined with the proximity to corporate HQ in Cupertino, this is an excellent site functionally. Finding people locally to staff it could be tough, getting people to move there tougher... But money can solve any problem and Apple definitely has it.

Unfortunately, I too have experienced Reno. It is an awful place, and had I remained there much longer surely would've committed suicide. I remember pulling off the freeway and stopping at a 7-11... The clerk noticed our license plate and she said, "you guys From California?" to which we replied yes... She then said, "wow, I wish you could take me with you". She had the saddest eyes I have ever seen. Her disposition was that of a defeated person, no hopes pr dreams, or oportunities... Even when joking about a stranger taking her away to California... There was an honesty and desperation in her small talk. Never... Even traveling through awful places like Mississippi, South Carolina, and Arkansas have I ever experienced anything so depressing.

----------

It is actually quite a pretty location, if seen from afar...

On my first cross country drive, I approached the city of El Paso... The sun had gone down and as I passed over the crest of the last hill, suddenly all of these lights... Like a carpet of stars lay below and before me... I thought it was beautiful...

Then I stopped to get gas and discovered it is basically a filthy Mexican shanty town. I suppose anything can be beautiful if you're far enough away.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
It's amazing, and embarrassing how stupid the average American is. The climate in Reno is ideal for passive cooling strategies. The fact that this is not common knowledge is disgusting. Other users have already commented about the possibilities, albeit even their posts are laughably simplistic.

Combined with the proximity to corporate HQ in Cupertino, this is an excellent site functionally. Finding people locally to staff it could be tough, getting people to move there tougher... But money can solve any problem and Apple definitely has it.

Unfortunately, I too have experienced Reno. It is an awful place, and had I remained there much longer surely would've committed suicide. I remember pulling off the freeway and stopping at a 7-11... The clerk noticed our license plate and she said, "you guys From California?" to which we replied yes... She then said, "wow, I wish you could take me with you". She had the saddest eyes I have ever seen. Her disposition was that of a defeated person, no hopes pr dreams, or oportunities... Even when joking about a stranger taking her away to California... There was an honesty and desperation in her small talk. Never... Even traveling through awful places like Mississippi, South Carolina, and Arkansas have I ever experienced anything so depressing.

----------

On my first cross country drive, I approached the city of El Paso... The sun had gone down and as I passed over the crest of the last hill, suddenly all of these lights... Like a carpet of stars lay below and before me... I thought it was beautiful...

Then I stopped to get gas and discovered it is basically a filthy Mexican shanty town. I suppose anything can be beautiful if you're far enough away.

You really are a negative person aren't you?

Most people don't know the average year round temperature of Reno, Nevada. Big deal.

You said it's a craphole anyway and that's how most people perceive it, as an uninteresting desert city.

And the same thing goes for the person who's trying to equate everyone in this thread to Miss USA and her fumbling answer. Somehow I think not knowing that Reno is 84 right now and not 104 isn't exactly analogous to saying "the Iraq" and thinking Africa is a country.

Next time someone pisses in your cereal why don't you go blow off some steam before posting here.

Jasonr94102

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
You really are a negative person aren't you?

Most people don't know the average year round temperature of Reno, Nevada. Big deal.

Yes. I am. Although I prefer Realist. It's not my fault that most real things are negative. People like you are the reason for that. :)

I don't know the average year round temperature of Reno. I do have a basic understanding of geographic regions... Especially those of the country I live in. :rolleyes:

You said it's a craphole anyway and that's how most people perceive it, as an uninteresting desert city.

It's not uninteresting at all! Quite the opposite! White trash crapholes are always amazing... How they don't realize how much they suck, and continually fail at their attempts to make themselves relevant.. Yet people continue to choose to live there. It's fascinating!

Next time someone pisses in your cereal why don't you go blow off some steam before posting here.

Haha!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The climate in Reno is ideal for passive cooling strategies. The fact that this is not common knowledge is disgusting.
The only one in this story that needs to know is Apple. You can be sure they are right on top of it. The undisclosed fact in this story is geothermal. You sure didn't bring it up. Should we all judge you?

Rocketman

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=geot...eothermal&hnear=Reno,+Washoe,+Nevada&t=h&z=11

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2011/08/29/t_bsg_geothermal_reno.cnnmoney/

http://www.gdareno.com/

http://search.nrel.gov/query.html?q...&nh=10&lk=1&rf=0&oq=&col=eren&qt=reno&x=0&y=0

Last edited:

Jasonr94102

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
The only one in this story that needs to know is Apple. You can be sure they are right on top of it. The undisclosed fact in this story is geothermal. You sure didn't bring it up. Should we all judge you?

Rocketman

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=geot...eothermal&hnear=Reno,+Washoe,+Nevada&t=h&z=11

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2011/08/29/t_bsg_geothermal_reno.cnnmoney/

http://www.gdareno.com/

Umm... Don't think I specifically brought up evaporative cooling, thermal mass, solar power, or geothermal... Among others.... What did you think I was referring to, though?

I don't believe I made any attempt to discuss specifics as 1.) the possibilities are obvious to anyone who is not an idiot, and 2.) there is not enough space here for a full discussion of these issues... Not to mention this is not the forum for it.

I was simply replying to the representative stupidity of the average post regarding this article.

I'm sure apple knows all of this. That was the original point.

As for judging me, go for it, why would I give a ****?

----------

I work in architecural design. I have to educate average American idiots about sustainable building every day. It's designating that our culture values ignorance and stupidity and that so much of my time is wasted teaching idiots **** they should already know instead of moving forward with the design.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
At this rate, some day on the back of my iPhone it will read, made in America! or it could also read Made in Antarctica, When apple finally decides to colonize it and put 5,000 golden iPhones in boxes to see who gets a free right. HAHA FREE I MAKE MYSELF LAUGH! You had to buy the iPhone and then buy your ticket there and a house and serve the great support bar genius for salvation!

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Also if you have enough capital you can get nearly free cooling too. What you do is dig a big hole in the ground and bury pipe. At some depth (maybe 15 or 20 feet) the solid stays at the average year day/night temperature which is not really very high when you consider that night and winter temps are averaged in. So. you can have "free" cool water for your air chillers. But you do need to spend up front to dig a big hole the size of a few large swimming pools.

This system works well in the places where it snows too. you get "free" too. Mostly anyplace around the US the water comes up at about 58F. THis works well for both summer cooling and winter heating.

Installing these system is a BIG business now, Need a job? Learn how to engineer these ground heat systems

Geothermal heat pump systems are catching on in the NE where I'm from. The big barrier is the upfront cost compared to a standard HVAC system. They can cost tens of thousands for a decent sized house, much more for a commercial installation. It takes many years to recognize any savings over a standard setup, at current electricity/oil prices. That said, they're wonderfully efficient, if I were building a new house I would definitely do it.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Yes. I am. Although I prefer Realist. It's not my fault that most real things are negative. People like you are the reason for that. :)

I don't know the average year round temperature of Reno. I do have a basic understanding of geographic regions... Especially those of the country I live in.

Listen buddy, I saw Reno 911, I think I'm pretty qualified on the subject if I may say.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
At this rate, some day on the back of my iPhone it will read, made in America! or it could also read Made in Antarctica, When apple finally decides to colonize it and put 5,000 golden iPhones in boxes to see who gets a free right. HAHA FREE I MAKE MYSELF LAUGH! You had to buy the iPhone and then buy your ticket there and a house and serve the great support bar genius for salvation!

nope... wont ever happen. China exploits labor way better than the US

JPF16

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Umm... Don't think I specifically brought up evaporative cooling, thermal mass, solar power, or geothermal... Among others.... What did you think I was referring to, though?

I don't believe I made any attempt to discuss specifics as 1.) the possibilities are obvious to anyone who is not an idiot, and 2.) there is not enough space here for a full discussion of these issues... Not to mention this is not the forum for it.

I was simply replying to the representative stupidity of the average post regarding this article.

I'm sure apple knows all of this. That was the original point.

As for judging me, go for it, why would I give a ****?

----------

I work in architecural design. I have to educate average American idiots about sustainable building every day. It's designating that our culture values ignorance and stupidity and that so much of my time is wasted teaching idiots **** they should already know instead of moving forward with the design.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you when you're all the way up there on your high horse :rolleyes:

George Zeed

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Oregon
I lived in Arizona for a while which has very similar weather to Reno. I think the fact that the data center is protected from most of the devastating weather you see on the East Coast as well as the issues with California make it a prime area. A disaster recovery plan will hopefully not have to be administered.

1. Not all that hot.
  2. Different type of cooling system that doesn't draw as much power as typical AC.
  3. Solar power.

Do any of these make a difference?

whtheck

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Northern Nevada
This is great news for Northern Nevada! I have been a resident in this beautiful part of the country for 15 years after moving from the over congested California. It is cold here though, I'm not sure where most people get Reno weather facts from? As I'm writing this it's 45 degrees. It snows, it's more windy then hot. we are over 100 degrees for maybe one week out of the year. A lot of big names set up camp with their distribution centers here like Amazon which is 45 mins away in Fernley, Wal-Mart, Petsmart, 1800flowers, ToysRus, JC Pennys...ETC. It's cheap tax and good central location to service the west coast.

radge

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Why build a data center in such a hot place though? Wouldn't you end up using more power to keep the building cool?

I guess there's less chances of natural disasters there though, no hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

The heat isn't as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. This is a pretty cool article about how eBay is putting forth some new stuff at the DC in Phoenix.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/02/ebay-desert-data-center/

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
The photo brought back a lot of memories. I could recognize several buildings in the photo since I worked there for three summers when I was in college.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.