Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Pride in Chicago makes St. Patty's look tame in alcohol consumption and attire.

I don't get the Luongo can't hack it in Toronto comments. He did just fine this past year in Vancouver - he didn't whine, he didn't crumble when his team needed him most. He played more than good enough for Vancouver to win a game or two with him in net. His team choked - not him. Luongo might not win Toronto a cup (or maybe, since his contract is eternal they'll have enough chances), but he can get them in the right direction - regularly appearing in and contending to make the playoffs. Can't go from meaningless organization to legit Cup contenders in no time. Baby steps, Leafies.

Pitt/Carolina from this weekend is still blowing my mind. Carolina is a real contender in their weak division and the East in general and Pitt is just insane to put themselves in a position to contend for a Tier 1 FA.

Also JVR for Schenn straight up? Very interesting. JVR regressed a bit this past year, but both still so young it's hard to tell who will turn out better in the years to come. Toronto's back end sure does look thin though.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
OK, a really good day. Tommy was very cool (and is in fact still out drinking with my team right now). Here's the pic, as promised. Notice something- I'm 6'3" and 200#. Now look at Tommy. The guy is a monster.

Attachments

• DSCF5131.JPG
    DSCF5131.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 64

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Dammit Lee, as a Blues fan, I'm not supposed to like the Blackhawks or the Sharks, but they're making it really hard to not like them :p

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Dammit Lee, as a Blues fan, I'm not supposed to like the Blackhawks or the Sharks, but they're making it really hard to not like them :p

Haha! Hey- we're not supposed to like the Sharks either.

Funny how that happens when it is not on the ice. I watched interviews with PK Subban and his brother, Malcolm -- just drafted by the Bruins. Hard not to like the pair off the ice. There is no love lost for PK here in Boston. I personally don't like how he plays the game but he seems to be likable off the ice.

Just ran into Thornton 10 mins ago in the local grocery. I love this town.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Funny how that happens when it is not on the ice. I watched interviews with PK Subban and his brother, Malcolm -- just drafted by the Bruins. Hard not to like the pair off the ice. There is no love lost for PK here in Boston. I personally don't like how he plays the game but he seems to be likable off the ice.

Just ran into Thornton 10 mins ago in the local grocery. I love this town.

It's funny- my friends who don't play are always amazed that opposing teams hang out with each other after our games. It's just the way it works.

Last edited:

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's funny- my friends who don't play are always amazed that opposing teams hang out with each other after games. It's just the way it works.

Yes, at your level. Not so much at the NHL level (although there are exceptions, of course). Unless opposing players are old friends or family or something, they don't hang out with each other during the season. The summer, on the other hand, is very different. They hang out together, party together, and train together.

Anyway......just wanted to say that I'm happy with the Schenn for van Riemsdyk trade. We needed to get bigger and more skilled up front, and Schenn wasn't working out for us on the back end. He had a great rookie season, but has struggled a lot since then. He's proven to be a bit of a liability as a defenseman in many situations. That being said, it's more than likely that he'll be able to turn his game around in Philly while surrounded by a better team.

At this point, I'd say the Leafs won the trade (and most analysts say the same thing), but Schenn still has some upside, and it's possible that in the end, the trade will be a winner for both sides.

And what's with the NHL and all these brothers being united (not reunited:rolleyes:) on the same team? I think it's very cool. We have the Sedins, the Schenns, the Staals (and keep in mind that Carolina has three of the four Staal brothers on their team, although Jared Staal is in the minors). Are there more? My brain is slow this morning :p

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Yes, at your level. Not so much at the NHL level (although there are exceptions, of course). Unless opposing players are old friends or family or something, they don't hang out with each other during the season. The summer, on the other hand, is very different. They hang out together, party together, and train together.

True, true.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran

Anyway......just wanted to say that I'm happy with the Schenn for van Riemsdyk trade. We needed to get bigger and more skilled up front, and Schenn wasn't working out for us on the back end. He had a great rookie season, but has struggled a lot since then. He's proven to be a bit of a liability as a defenseman in many situations. That being said, it's more than likely that he'll be able to turn his game around in Philly while surrounded by a better team.

At this point, I'd say the Leafs won the trade (and most analysts say the same thing), but Schenn still has some upside, and it's possible that in the end, the trade will be a winner for both sides.

And what's with the NHL and all these brothers being united (not reunited:rolleyes:) on the same team? I think it's very cool. We have the Sedins, the Schenns, the Staals (and keep in mind that Carolina has three of the four Staal brothers on their team, although Jared Staal is in the minors). Are there more? My brain is slow this morning :p

staals i dont think so but you are forgetting the boys from Viking, AB-they all have kids, so there is going to be a factory of brothers who could play toghether(imagine what would happen if a team had two entire lines of sutters)

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Surely What do think about the JVR/Schenn trade?:cool:

robo
dude, see post #64. :p

HHOF nominations announcement in a couple of hours. Hope they get it right this year......

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
robo
dude, see post #64. :p

HHOF nominations announcement in a couple of hours. Hope they get it right this year......

not even remotely close..

Oates
Sakic
Sundin
Bure

Off the top of my head I see this
Sakic is part of the triple gold club (cup, world champtionship, olympic gold), has two cups, 1 heart trophy and at least a dozen ASGs.

The others-three goal scoring titles (all Bure)-no cups, 1 gold medal (sundin).

I am sorry but this is just a freaking joke-

Last edited:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
They all deserved it - just a matter of when or how much. Oates was overdue. Sakic was a shoe-in. Sundin I felt deserved the nod - eventually. Bure was a pure firecracker while he played, but he didn't necessarily play very long.

Bit surprised at Shanny getting left out, but not terribly. I was expecting Sakic, Shanny, Oates, and Sundin personally.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
They all deserved it - just a matter of when or how much. Oates was overdue. Sakic was a shoe-in. Sundin I felt deserved the nod - eventually. Bure was a pure firecracker while he played, but he didn't necessarily play very long.

Bit surprised at Shanny getting left out, but not terribly. I was expecting Sakic, Shanny, Oates, and Sundin personally.

I was expecting Sakic, Shanahan, and Burns, with the fourth spot a toss up between Oates and Bure.

I agree with you- Sakic, Sundin, Bure, and Oates all deserved it, but perhaps the timing was off.

No need to discuss Sakic's credentials....cuestakid summed him up well.

Bure was a dominant player at the height of his career. No one could stop him from scoring goals. He averaged more than a point per game over his short NHL career. Plus, I loved being the Canucks in NHL93 and scoring like crazy with Bure. :p

Oates. Another guy who averaged more than a point a game. He was the ultimate setup man. When he and Brett Hull played together, it was just wasn't fair. Looking at his stats, his 92-93 numbers with the Bruins are just crazy: 45G, 97A, for 142 points. And he wasn't even drafted!
Also very cool that he was named head coach of the Caps today.

And finally, Mats Sundin. What can I say about this guy? I remember where I was (at a bar in a small town in Ontario for a camp staff town-night, using a fake ID because I was 18 and the drinking age is 19 :p) when we traded Clark and Lefebvre for him (there were other players and picks involved in the deal too). At first I was upset that they had the nerve to trade Wendel Clark, but then when I saw Sundin play, I was in awe. He grew up as a Leaf and became our captain. He carried the Leafs on his back for his entire career, and for some reason, they were never really able to get him the complimentary wingers that he needed (except for maybe Mogilny). He, too, averaged more than a point per game, and the most amazing part is that he pretty much had to do it on his own. He was never a part of a really strong or dominating team, but he somehow found a way to rack up 1,349 points.

As I said, all of these guys are deserving, but maybe not all this year. I can't believe Pat Burns still hasn't been elected. It's just wrong.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I was expecting Sakic, Shanahan, and Burns, with the fourth spot a toss up between Oates and Bure.

I agree with you- Sakic, Sundin, Bure, and Oates all deserved it, but perhaps the timing was off.

No need to discuss Sakic's credentials....cuestakid summed him up well.

Bure was a dominant player at the height of his career. No one could stop him from scoring goals. He averaged more than a point per game over his short NHL career. Plus, I loved being the Canucks in NHL93 and scoring like crazy with Bure. :p

Oates. Another guy who averaged more than a point a game. He was the ultimate setup man. When he and Brett Hull played together, it was just wasn't fair. Looking at his stats, his 92-93 numbers with the Bruins are just crazy: 45G, 97A, for 142 points. And he wasn't even drafted!
Also very cool that he was named head coach of the Caps today.

And finally, Mats Sundin. What can I say about this guy? I remember where I was (at a bar in a small town in Ontario for a camp staff town-night, using a fake ID because I was 18 and the drinking age is 19 :p) when we traded Clark and Lefebvre for him (there were other players and picks involved in the deal too). At first I was upset that they had the nerve to trade Wendel Clark, but then when I saw Sundin play, I was in awe. He grew up as a Leaf and became our captain. He carried the Leafs on his back for his entire career, and for some reason, they were never really able to get him the complimentary wingers that he needed (except for maybe Mogilny). He, too, averaged more than a point per game, and the most amazing part is that he pretty much had to do it on his own. He was never a part of a really strong or dominating team, but he somehow found a way to rack up 1,349 points.

As I said, all of these guys are deserving, but maybe not all this year. I can't believe Pat Burns still hasn't been elected. It's just wrong.

I guess I just don't see how those three guys beat out Shanny this year All it does is back log one player until he gets in.

That said, this does mean that winning a cup might becoming less of a factor in the decision which means guys like JR, Lindros, Kayria, Thakchuk and Nicholls who never won a cup have a chance.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Surely What do think about the JVR/Schenn trade?:cool:

Philly got shafted in that trade. Schenn sucks. JVR is a steal for the Leafs in that deal.

Love that the Bruins drafted Malcom Subban. Chiarelli trolling the entire league with that pick.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Just a few more pics of us with Tommy Wingels from Sunday. My face is half covered in the first one. I'd like to point out the guys in the black shirts too. They are from the Butcher's Union team at Johnny's IceHouse who we play against. We play in an all straight league for the most part. They wanted to come march with us. They were fun and had bourbon in flasks. I knew I liked them for a reason. ;)

I think we're a pretty good-looking bunch of players.:)

Attachments

• 178378_10150944432069442_1843367029_o.jpg
    178378_10150944432069442_1843367029_o.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 278105_10150944445504442_1023765801_o.jpg
    278105_10150944445504442_1023765801_o.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.