Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters and AllThingsD report that U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh granted a preliminary injunction against the sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab in the U.S.

The ruling is the latest in the ongoing legal battle between Apple and Samsung. Apple had accused Samsung of copying the design of Apple's iPad and iPhone products. Apple has previously sought and won injunctions against the sale of the same Samsung tablet in other countries.

As reported by AllThingsD, the new ruling stated:
"Although Samsung has a right to compete, it does not have a right to compete unfairly, by flooding the market with infringing products," Koh wrote in her order, adding that the strength of Apple's case on the merits left her no choice but to grant the injunction. "While Samsung will certainly suffer lost sales from the issuance of an injunction, the hardship to Apple of having to directly compete with Samsung's infringing products outweighs Samsung's harm in light of the previous findings by the Court."
Samsung is likely to appeal the preliminary injunction but the order could go into effect once Apple posts a $2.6 million bond to cover any damages to Samsung if the injunction does not hold up in appeal.

AllThingsD received a statement from Apple that reiterated their previous claims that Samsung had copied the iPad:
"It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging. This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Article Link: Apple Wins Preliminary Injunction Against Samsung Galaxy Tab Sales in U.S.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hopefully this will deter Samsung (and, by extension, other companies) from copying others' designs to actually innovating on their own designs.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Judge: Samsung, you have to stop shipping the Galaxy 10.1
Samsung: We stopped shipping those 6 months ago.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
"...we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Good one, Apple. I'll keep quiet about valid arguments of cases where YOU guys have stolen ideas from other companies.
(Which, everyone steals from everyone so I guess it doesn't matter anyway)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Tragi-comical - Apple are being jerks.

Which is why Apple is suing every tablet and Android phone over this particular issue...oh...wait...it's just Samsung? Nobody else?

Well, if Apple is just being a jerk and this works so well, why do you think they're limiting themselves to just one company? Surely you have an answer to that question, right?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I strongly dislike patents and copyrights, especially when being used at this.

Though I do like the legacy that Steve Jobs has left; the legacy of going after somebody with such tenacity.

boomboom2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
When is Apple going to sue Android manufacturers for copying iOS's pulldown notification center?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
sick of hearing about all the legal battles. some of samsungs stuff does look like a complete ripoff but Apple does stretch things too far with other things. i just hope Apple is putting the money i throw at them into a lot of R&D

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Once the Surface comes to market, Apple will really have something to worry about. They'll have real competition and nothing to sue over. Now that will be comical.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Tragi-comical - Apple are being jerks.

AidenShaw ...you are correct. Apple is being a huge jerk to a large supplier no less. I really think this is setting a message. Apple is in effect saying

"we don't care if you provide many of our components ..our designs are our designs and we pay Jony Ive a lot of money to come up with ideas that we're not going to let you take with impunity"

The tone is being set and I'm sure other vendors are taking notice and will tread a bit more lightly around Apple.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
So if Apple start making TV's are the big name players going to sue them because they make a TV shaped TV? Does Ford sue GM because they make car shaped cars. All my shoes are shoe shaped maybe there is a lawsuit somewhere there too, humm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.