Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

retinambp-150x84.jpg

MacRumors has received word today from several customers who have received emails from Apple indicating that their launch-day purchases of Retina MacBook Pro machines through Apple's enterprise sales channel have been delayed by up to a month. The customers had been quoted shipping estimates of 7-10 business days at the time of ordering, but today's emails from Apple cite new shipping dates of on or before July 25.
Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent order.

Purchase Order#: xxxxxxxxxx
Sales Order#: xxxxxxxxxx
Ship-to Zip Code: xxxxx

Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the date that you were recently quoted:

Z0ML, MBP 15.4/CTO
will now ship on or before
Jul 25, 2012

Please note that product availability can change rapidly, and it is possible that your order may ship much sooner than we anticipate. You may even receive a shipment confirmation between the time we send this email and the time that you read it.
It is unclear exactly what is triggering the delays in shipping estimates, although all of those who contacted MacRumors about the delay indicated that they had customized the high-end model with 768 GB of solid-state storage but did not upgrade from the stock 2.6 GHz processor.

The Retina MacBook Pro has been in high demand since its introduction during the keynote of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, with shipping estimates slipping to 2-3 weeks within hours of launch before settling at 3-4 weeks a day later. Estimates have remained at that 3-4 week timeframe since that time.

Article Link: Apple Delaying Early Retina MacBook Pro Orders for Some Business Customers

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
Why not just grab one in a local Apple Store?

Not all configurations are available in local stores. I'm a business customer and my local store has called me several times to let me know they have a "very limited supply now in stock," yet all of their in-stock configurations have been limited to 8GB of RAM.

blumpkin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
It's tough to manage 5+ million very small people for each and every panel. Be patient.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
This used to happen with the iPhones, but MBPRs?? The economy must not be as bad as people make it out to be.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006

Because the Apple Stores don't carry certain configurations maybe? I ordered a 512GB, 2.7GHz with 16GB of RAM. I spoke to a couple Apple stores and they only get shipments of the 2.7GHz, 768GB, 16GB RAM and other standard configs.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This used to happen with the iPhones, but MBPRs?? The economy must not be as bad as people make it out to be.

I doubt Apple had nearly the number of these ready for launch as iPads. Since the report says 768GB SSD models are being affected. Apple likely had not expected much demand for such an expensive SSD. I'd assume they would have also ordered 16GB RAM.

djcinsb

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Because the Apple Stores don't carry certain configurations maybe? I ordered a 512GB, 2.7GHz with 16GB of RAM. I spoke to a couple Apple stores and they only get shipments of the 2.7GHz, 768GB, 16GB RAM and other standard configs.

Even that model has not yet reached my local Apple store -- I'm (supposedly) at the head of their list when one arrives.

Aco Strkalj

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Meh...

I returned my Pro. Didn't appeal to me that much. The hype dies in the first week after you play with it.

It's a great machine though. I just prefer the Air.

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012

the well-to-do people aren't affected by that.

i guess apple didn't expect the demand for max ssd.

weaponEX

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
UK
We're still waiting for rMBPs in South Korea.
But what is another month of waiting after so many months already.

Saikkou

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I had to order mine through the University tech store, full specs. I hope I don't have to wait til the end of July.

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
No worries...just a legally-mandated auto reply if the original date is in danger of being missed. I'd bet a day's wages that the vast majority of these are in the users' hands in a week or two, tops.

un10101

Jun 25, 2012
OK

Because the local Apple stores don't have any in stock at this time, unfortunately. It's just like almost any other anticipated Apple launch product. They'll be out for a month or so, then it will pick up.

----------

I just hope the high demand doesn't impact the build quality..

With Apple, I doubt it will. We'll see, though. It'll be interesting, nonetheless.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
I returned my Pro. Didn't appeal to me that much. The hype dies in the first week after you play with it.

It's a great machine though. I just prefer the Air.

well ya not an upgrade really ... unless you got the retina version

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
when has that ever been the case?

Often?

We're already seeing yellow screens, unevenly colored screens (ala retina iPads), and now a ghosting problem (like a mini temporary burn-in, sort of like the old Apple Cinema Displays) in the RMBPs.

Apple is going through some serious growing pains with their retina displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.