Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Often?

We're already seeing yellow screens, unevenly colored screens (ala retina iPads), and now a ghosting problem (like a mini temporary burn-in, sort of like the old Apple Cinema Displays) in the RMBPs.

Apple is going through some serious growing pains with their retina displays.

Funny that Microsoft gives beta stuff away for free, and Apple charges top dollar for it.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
This has always been the same with new products, it takes lime for them to ramp up production. As for buying in store, good idea but the stocks are limited and most store only stock the base models and if I was in the market for a MBPr it's Max the RAM and get the biggest SSD I could afford considering the limited after market upgrades.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
this is just the calm before da storm yall !

This used to happen with the iPhones, but MBPRs?? The economy must not be as bad as people make it out to be.

what is that saying, oh ya -- "the calm before the storm" *wink* the worst of the bad is just winding up to the breaking point - it has to happen - it has happened in the past, history repeating itself.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Don't be mislead. Apple is the master of illusion.

They're also one of the finest marketing masterminds of all.

By giving the impression that they're hard to get. Orders grow to massive proportions.

Never, ever... Underestimate Apple.

dfaust

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
I just got notification tonight that my MBPr was shipped... will arrive on Monday...

Dear [my name],
We're happy to let you know that the items below are on their way to you. We also included delivery estimates and tracking information next to your shipping address.

Thanks for your time and for shopping with Apple.
- The Apple Store

Configuration

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage
No VGA Adapter
No Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
KYBD/USER'S GUIDE
COUNTRY KIT

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I just got notification tonight that my MBPr was shipped... will arrive on Monday...

Well, the guy I bought my Mac Pro from on eBay still hasn't shipped it (it's been over a week), so now we have to report him and get the refund and get another one. Stupid scammers.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Mine was supposed to be delivered by Friday at the earliest, but it got here on Tuesday morning! UPS said it was in Shanghai at about 3pm—then it was at my door at 8am CDT. It was crazy—I was so confused when someone was knocking on my door this morning! Now that's some fast shipping.

I love this thing. I can't put it down. Even my wife said "You know, I usually don't care about computer stuff at all—but that's the nicest screen I've ever seen!" You know your product is amazing when someone like my wife takes notice—usually she doesn't give two craps about the latest "MacPro Book". I think I saw some drool on her face today. Maybe I'll pick up an Air for her when they go retina.

Some of my observations today:

1. OMG I CAN SEE FOREVER
  2. It runs much cooler idle than my early 2011. Like 30-40 degrees from my limited testing.
  3. It's really hard to get the fan up to speed. Only time I did was when I tested Skyrim Cider at 2880 Ultra. It was mostly playable on an emulator!
  4. The display really is less glossy. Had both machines side by side and could barely see the blinds behind me on the new one.
  5. Everything is INSTANT ON. There is no waiting around.
  6. Graphics are smoother than I expected. For instance, sliding between desktop spaces is buttery smooth for me even at the top 1920 scaled mode. On my old system, the 1920 native on my external monitor is jittery/laggy as I slide the mouse between desktop spaces. Everything seems to snap into place faster.
  7. My 512GB SSD read is 450MB/s and write is 400MB/s
  8. USB 3.0 works great. I've got a 7-port hub running my three drives, card reader, 2.0 hub for printer, wacom, etc and a usb audio device so I only have to plug one cord into my computer! Well besides the power. It's like a poor man's Thunderbolt dock. Two of my three drives are 3.0 capable and the margins over FireWire are only about 20%-30% faster at this point—though my G-Drive is using an eSATA to USB 3.0 adapter. Not sure if that's slowing it down any. The GoFlex wasn't a whole lot faster than before.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
what is that saying, oh ya -- "the calm before the storm" *wink* the worst of the bad is just winding up to the breaking point - it has to happen - it has happened in the past, history repeating itself.

By "past" do you mean 5 years ago? Wow, 5 years already... This makes my computer look old.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Ghosting

Perhaps they are trying to sort out the Ghosting problem with the display.
Some displays will keep an image on the screen up to 5 minutes after it disappears, and Apple have been replacing them.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Why not just grab one in a local Apple Store?

None of the Apple stores I've been to have 16GB models, otherwise I would. I think you're a fool to not get 16GB. Either you plan on selling in two years, and it's worth it's weight in gold for resale... or you plan on having it for 3+ years and you'll want that 16GB.

mstur

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2001
No wonder: this Retinabook is real eye opener !!

Got mine (2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM / 512 SSD) yesterday. Setup as usual, did not change any display options.

Just using Safari on the Retinabook and on a iMac 27" side by side shows the big difference. All letters, in any font or size, are so crisp !! You never want to use this coarse iMac display again.

Have the new Aperture 3.3., but would prefer to use my Retinabook for Photoshop and Digital Darkroom work, hope this software will be adapted soon...

Last edited:

wfaler

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
768GB seems to be vaporware

Can anyone report that they have in fact seen a 768GB SSD in the wild, or is this the 2010 "white iPhone" all over again?

I ordered a maxed out Retina MBP a few minutes after the shop reopened after the announcement, when standard configs had 3-5 days delivery time. My estimate rose to "3-4 weeks" immediately on the SSD, which did not go down at any point as of yesterday.

That, together with the screen ghosting issues made me cancel my order. I simply don't believe Apple actually have a ready 768GB SSD in production, if anyone would like to prove me wrong, I'd be happy.

I want a Retina MBP eventually, but I cancelled my order as I don't particularly want to pay $4-5K (in the UK) to be a beta tester for Apples manufacturing process.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Because the Apple Stores don't carry certain configurations maybe? I ordered a 512GB, 2.7GHz with 16GB of RAM. I spoke to a couple Apple stores and they only get shipments of the 2.7GHz, 768GB, 16GB RAM and other standard configs.

I was thinking the same thing, about the 2.7 GHz, 768GB SSD, and 16GB RAM would come sooner because a lot of people aren't going to spend an extra $250 for the 100 MHz boost. (2.6 GHz to 2.7 GHz) However, since the SSD and RAM aren't upgradable, might as well get it now. If you want more of a speed bump and save perhaps $250 - $600 wait 6 months.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
Can anyone report that they have in fact seen a 768GB SSD in the wild, or is this the 2010 "white iPhone" all over again?

I ordered a maxed out Retina MBP a few minutes after the shop reopened after the announcement, when standard configs had 3-5 days delivery time. My estimate rose to "3-4 weeks" immediately on the SSD, which did not go down at any point as of yesterday.

That, together with the screen ghosting issues made me cancel my order. I simply don't believe Apple actually have a ready 768GB SSD in production, if anyone would like to prove me wrong, I'd be happy.

I want a Retina MBP eventually, but I cancelled my order as I don't particularly want to pay $4-5K (in the UK) to be a beta tester for Apples manufacturing process.

I live in the UK and my 2.6, 16GB, 768GB has just shipped. I should have it Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.