Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple first showed off the original iPhone at Macworld San Francisco in January 2007, the device did not launch until six months later, officially arriving on June 29, 2007. With the iPhone's fifth birthday coming later this week, research firm Strategy Analytics published a brief press release noting that Apple has now sold 250 million iPhones that have generated roughly $150 billion in revenue for the company over the product's lifetime.
According to the latest research from Strategy Analytics, Apple has generated US$150 billion of cumulative revenues for its iPhone family in the first five years since launch in June 2007. A quarter of a billion iPhones have been shipped cumulatively worldwide.

Neil Shah, Senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics, said, "Apple's first iPhone was launched commercially in the United States on June 29, 2007. Between June 2007 and June 2012, we estimate the iPhone family of models has generated US$150 billion of cumulative revenues worldwide for Apple. This is an impressive achievement and it illustrates just how popular the iPhone has become during the past five years."
say_hello_to_iphone.jpg

With iPhone sales continuing to accelerate, more than 100 million of those unit sales have come during the past year. The iPhone 4S has marked a significant part of the surge, with over 35 million units sold in each of the past two quarters.

Business Insider summarizes some of the iPhone's impact on business, noting that the device now generates more quarterly revenue than Microsoft's entire business, generates more profit than GE, Microsoft, or Google, and has remade the technology industry with its dominating position.

Article Link: iPhone Turning Five Years Old with 250 Million Units Sold, $150 Billion in Revenue

kniemann

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Back in 2008, when I bought my iPhone 3G for $200 with a $30 data plan, my friends laughed at me. Boy they were on the wrong side of history..

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
My first was the 3G.

Then for some insane reason I got a Droid X.

Back with a 4S. Never going back to Android.

Happy birthday, inanimate object. I love you!

wow.. those images remind me of just how amazed I was when the iPhone was released. It seemed so revolutionary...

The thing that really sticks in my mind was when Steve Jobs used Maps to find local starbucks and then called by simply tapping the number... Something we take so for granted now, but at the time I was like :eek:

Lordskelic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
Texas
In just five years, look how different the cell phone market is. It's really crazy how fast technology changes!

linkismyhero

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2012
I remember being stunned that it wouldn't support MMS. My damned flip phone at the time supported MMS. Never understood why they did that. :confused:

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
Just think at its current rate Android (900k+ a day) sells more in 1 year than iphone has in 5 years. Well done Google.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Steve's legacy.

Let's see how the next 5 years turn out. More innovation or pc like 'features' homogenization?

mygoldens

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2005
And it is getting a bit old!

Apple needs to step up the game, LTE ALREADY! You have it in the iPad, like that is almost useful.

Let some customizations happen!

I like Apple, but loosen up, not everyone wants it to be like "1984"!

Apple didn't you have a commercial to say "Think different", hmmm we are all marching to the same tune now with no personalization or personality!

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I went back and watched the original iPhone keynote. It's amazing how much we take for granted in only five years since the iPhone's debut. The crowd went crazy when Steve "swiped to unlock". It's such a basic feature today, but in 2007, it was revolutionary.

We'll never forget you Steve. :apple:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
wow.. those images remind me of just how amazed I was when the iPhone was released. It seemed so revolutionary...

The thing that really sticks in my mind was when Steve Jobs used Maps to find local starbucks and then called by simply tapping the number... Something we take so for granted now, but at the time I was like :eek:

I'll take 4000 latte's to go please. Just kidding. :D

I wonder if the person on the phone even knows who was on the phone or what happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.