Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I'll believe it when I see it

This. The Facebook app has honestly never been good, no matter how many updates they put out.

Faster would be nice, sure - but I'd rather have bug fixes. The most annoying one is when all my friends' profile picture thumbnails get mixed around so my news feed looks like:

[Picture of Mary] Steve
[Picture of John] Annie
[Picture of Jessie] Marc

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
On another note, why hasn't Facebook updated the iPad app to support Timeline yet? It's been about 6 months now!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
This. The Facebook app has honestly never been good, no matter how many updates they put out.

Faster would be nice, sure - but I'd rather have bug fixes. The most annoying one is when all my friends' profile picture thumbnails get mixed around so my news feed looks like:

[Picture of Mary] Steve
[Picture of John] Annie
[Picture of Jessie] Marc

Mine used to do that, but since a recent update this no longer happens. Are you running the most recent version?

My one pet hate is the adverts we now get in thr feed! I seem to have more adverts then actual updates.

d3bruts1d

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
TN
This is great news and something that has been log overdue. I'm not really sure why Apple even allowed it in since it didn't offer much more functionality over the mobile website to begin with... and what functionality it did have was buggy and broken a majority of the time.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
I really hate apps that are basically just a container for a web page just to make cross-platform porting easy.

If I were an app developer, I'd sacrifice easy portability for my app running smooth on every platform. If that means hiring someone else to do the Android version, so be it.

It should be built for the platform, with the platform's native language, not as a mobile website.

And I really hope they add the "Share" button. It's been missing since v1.

I agree completely but... your executive may force your hand into it, which is probably what happened with Facebook. As an indie developer or a developer who has clout in an organization you may have this luxury.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
It's too late. With Facebook integration in iOS 6, there is no need for a lousy, stinking, disgusting, revolting, repulsive, sickening, nauseating, stomach-churning, unpalatable, distasteful, foul, nasty, yucky, icky, gross Facebook app.

You are aware that the Facebook integration in iOS 6 requires that the Facebook app be installed right? It's just like the Twitter integration in iOS 5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 57

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
Great, now I can figure out how the app is useless much faster.

Seriously, the number of missing features even compared to the mobile Facebook website is ridiculous. Making it faster isn't going to help if I still can't do anything with it.

atrevers

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
UK
Welcome to the 21st century, facebook.

Hmm, not so sure that moving away from a platform that is open and easily (and quickly) portable to other ecosystems is moving *into* the 21st century! In an ideal world, HTML5 should work as fast as native apps, and all this does is highlight the shortcomings of the rendering engine used. Don't blame Facebook for this failure - this one lies at Apple's door.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
My first iPad was an iPad 3. Since I'm kind of new to what it means for an app to be integrated (Twitter), what does it mean for FB to be integrated come iOS6? Does it allow the app to run smoother, etc.? This is cool news though because I typically use Safari for FB rather than their app, haha.

The app is loading the something you are loading Safari.

----------

Hmm, not so sure that moving away from a platform that is open and easily (and quickly) portable to other ecosystems is moving *into* the 21st century! In an ideal world, HTML5 should work as fast as native apps, and all this does is highlight the shortcomings of the rendering engine used. Don't blame Facebook for this failure - this one lies at Apple's door.

Other HTML5 apps don't have these issues, just because you give a tool to someone doesn't mean they know how to use it.

atrevers

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
UK
Other HTML5 apps don't have these issues, just because you give a tool to someone doesn't mean they know how to use it.

I'd be surprised if Facebook's HTML5 devs aren't amongst the best in the industry. Could equally be that they're pushing the abilities of the rendering engine further than other apps. If, for example, the way that the rendering engine handles memory allocation and resource releasing isn't up to scratch, then there isn't much the devs can do about it.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
So essentially they will be going back to the Facebook 3.0 engine which still rocks on iOS 5.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Woopsie daisy. I wasn't aware as I'm not a Facebook/twitter user and I don't even use iOS 5.

Then why did you post how bad the app was and how happy you are (even though your assumption was wrong) that the app won't be needed in iOS6? I mean if you use it and hate it fine, but how can you hate an app that you don't even use?

liam5150

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Mexico
cache management 101

I hope they fix the growing size issue. I have to periodically delete the app (typically at a final size of 100-150 Mb) and re-install it to get it semi-fast again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.