Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:58 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

BlueStacks Allows You to Run Android Apps on a Mac

BlueStacks announced a public alpha version of their Android App Player for the Mac today at Google I/O.

The company had originally released a beta version of their App Player for Windows back in March. The software allows users to run Android apps directly on their Windows PCs, and the newest version begins to extend that functionality to the Mac.

While the Windows version allows you to run any Android app without modification, the early Mac version seems to be limited to 15 initial apps that comes bundled with the download. The bundled apps include Air Control Lite, Alchemy, Basketball Shot, Drag Racing, Elastic World, Facebook, Glow Hockey, Guns'n'Glory, Paper Toss, Pulse, Robo Defense, Seesmic, Twitter, Whatsapp, and Zebra Paint.

Their support page claims that "in the very near future", they plan on opening the Mac version up to over 400,000 Android apps:
Quote:
The BlueStacks App Player for Mac OSX (alpha) supports both Lion and Snow Leopard. You can test drive a fixed set of curated apps for the first release (alpha-1). In the very near future, BlueStacks will let you select from over 400,000 Android apps to play on your Mac.
The alpha version is available as a free download from the BlueStacks website.

Article Link: BlueStacks Allows You to Run Android Apps on a Mac
MacRumors is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:01 AM   #2
devinher
macrumors newbie

I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?
devinher is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:03 AM   #3
FlameofAnor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinher View Post
I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?
I'll admit, that I too am perplexed by this. What "amazing" Android apps don't already have an iOS counterpart?
FlameofAnor is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Apple Poptart
macrumors member

mmm k?

Why do I need to run Android apps on my Mac?

I feel like I'm missing something here.
Apple Poptart is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:09 AM   #5
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameofAnor View Post
I'll admit, that I too am perplexed by this. What "amazing" Android apps don't already have an iOS counterpart?
Not the point. The point is that you'll be able to run mobile apps on your desktop/laptop OS - something you cannot do with iOS apps. Whether it's at all productive or useful is a whole another argument.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:10 AM   #6
Exotic-Car Man
macrumors regular

Dev use?

Perhaps it could be used by developers. I know this isn't an Android simulator, but I could see it (maybe) coming in handy for devs. It seems like they would just use the Android simulator, though.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Ramsos
macrumors regular

Hooray...........no thank you.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Siggen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Cross platform gaming, and access to Android only apps for your Mac. There are many apps for android I just wish I had on my Mac, and I have an Android phone, an iPhone, an iPad, a Mac and a PC.

TBH I almost only use my Mac/iPad/Android Phone, and next to never use my iPhone and my PC.
Siggen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:12 AM   #9
Minimoose 360
macrumors 65816

Well I think it's pretty cool. I'm not sure how the emulation works, but it could help developers maybe?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:13 AM   #10
chrismarle
macrumors Demi-God

Great, enlarged phone apps. Just what I needed on my Mac.
chrismarle is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:14 AM   #11
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameofAnor View Post
Console emulators? Google apps? Flash Player? Task Manager?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:16 AM   #12
faroZ06
Banned

Bringing apps that require a touch screen to a PC with a keyboard and mouse. Genius.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Console emulators? Google apps? Flash Player? Task Manager?
There are Google apps on the iPhone. As for the emulators.... jailbreak
faroZ06 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:16 AM   #13
roadbloc
macrumors 604

This is sorta useless for the consumer, for the dev, I have no idea. It's great they've got it working though.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:19 AM   #14
faroZ06
Banned

I actually got Android for Intel processors running in VirtualBox. I think it was an outdated, illegit, Chinese edition though.

----------

It seems like it could only remotely be useful for games, and even the games already have PC versions anyway.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
This is sorta useless for the consumer, for the dev, I have no idea. It's great they've got it working though.
This reminds me of iOS Simulator, which I tried fruitlessly for hours to get Cube Runner onto.
faroZ06 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:19 AM   #15
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjac0m View Post
Great, enlarged phone apps. Just what I needed on my Mac.
No one says you "need" it, or that you have to download it. Some people might find it useful. Personally, I find it cool, in a nerdy sort of way
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:22 AM   #16
tomtom2234
macrumors member

... What use is this? I have an iphone and an ipad...
tomtom2234 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:26 AM   #17
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

now I can run apps designed for touch input with my keyboard and mouse on my mac, just what I have been waiting for!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:31 AM   #18
Durendal
macrumors 6502

Isn't this already possible with Eclipse and the Android dev tools? They have an emulator that lets you run/debug software you're building in Eclipse. I can't imagine that it wouldn't let you install your own.
Durendal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:32 AM   #19
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Bringing apps that require a touch screen to a PC with a keyboard and mouse. Genius.

----------

There are Google apps on the iPhone. As for the emulators.... jailbreak
Google apps for Android have many features that the iOS version don't have... which is perhaps to be expected.
As for jailbreaking, in my opinion the security/privacy concerns outweighs the added functionality.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:33 AM   #20
MacGurl111
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm no techy person but this was my first thought after reading the title.

There's more mac Apps than android and they're usually the first to come out then it becomes available for android. Is this not the case?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:36 AM   #21
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

And what would be the purpose of running an app to run apps made for another platform on a platform where I can all ready get superior versions of the same apps?
iMikeT is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:51 AM   #22
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Google apps for Android have many features that the iOS version don't have... which is perhaps to be expected.
As for jailbreaking, in my opinion the security/privacy concerns outweighs the added functionality.
Jailbreaking does not open any security or privacy holes, but the thing that just keeps me worried is how it installs stuff like MySQL when you jailbreak. Would that slow it down? I've jailbroken my iPhone and only installed a couple of emulators and Terminal, and it seems to be running just as well as before, but I'm still wondering.

The only Google app I've been annoyed with has been their Maps app and its lack of voice navigation. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm talking about this. All Google services are available fully on the PC anyway.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
And what would be the purpose of running an app to run apps made for another platform on a platform where I can all ready get superior versions of the same apps?
I don't know, but I bet $20 that at least 1000 people will get this so they can use Flash on their Mac
When the iPhone 4 first came out, 60% of the people surveyed thought it had 4G LTE.
faroZ06 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:51 AM   #23
urbanlung
macrumors regular

This is all well and good but when am I join to be able to run my Nokia N95 apps on my Mac, want to be able to boot into Symbian.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:58 AM   #24
batchtaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
Cross platform gaming, and access to Android only apps for your Mac. There are many apps for android I just wish I had on my Mac, and I have an Android phone, an iPhone, an iPad, a Mac and a PC.
Good luck playing those games without an accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.
batchtaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:59 AM   #25
malias4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEw View Post
now I can run apps designed for touch input with my keyboard and mouse on my mac, just what I have been waiting for!
hehe exactly
malias4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion