Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:01 AM   #26
jlnr
macrumors regular

Nobody spotted WhatsApp? That's something I might have used on the desktop...if most people hadn't jumped ship already. But hey, pretty close to a use case for BlueStacks.
jlnr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:06 AM   #27
adamantpradeep
macrumors newbie

be careful

isn't most of the android apps riddled with spyware?

this is going to run on a java runtime I presume? which as it has own security layer is poorly designed. I have completely uninstalled java on my MBP and have never felt a need to use them.

400,000 doesn't make it sound great... most of them would be junk of course
adamantpradeep is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:07 AM   #28
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamantpradeep View Post
isn't most of the android apps riddled with spyware?

No. Just no.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:16 AM   #29
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

This I could care less about, but is there any reason apple can't make ios apps run in osx? there is the simulator for developers, and even if it's cpu intensive emulation, the computer should be able to handle it.

Not that I'd use it too often, but it just seems stupid you can't double click on an app in itunes and open it.
ghettochris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:21 AM   #30
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Jailbreaking does not open any security or privacy holes,
Except for the worms targeting jailbroken iOS devices or the fact that the jaibroken apps haven't been reviewed by Apple for potential virus and privacy concerns.
Quote:
The only Google app I've been annoyed with has been their Maps app and its lack of voice navigation. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm talking about this. All Google services are available fully on the PC anyway.
Google Maps for Android has many features not available for iOS such as Indoor Maps, 3D Maps, Offline Mode and turn-by-turn GPS.
Hopefully Apple's own Maps app won't take too long to catch up to Google Maps feature wise.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:28 AM   #31
jlnr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
No. Just no.
Have you worked with any mobile ad SDK? Compared to "classic" desktop apps, at least every ad-powered mobile app is spyware. The same would be true for iOS apps of course.
jlnr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:34 AM   #32
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

Awesoeme!

Its great to hear that now you can run Android apps on mac. I wont don't need it is a different thing.
Thanks for the development though.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:35 AM   #33
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Does this mean that eventually, we'll be able to run apps from google's play store ?
Dr. McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:37 AM   #34
simon the diver
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Google apps for Android have many features that the iOS version don't have... which is perhaps to be expected.
As for jailbreaking, in my opinion the security/privacy concerns outweighs the added functionality.

yes that turn by turn GPS will come in real handy on my GPS-lacking Apple hardware - particularly so on the desktop machine

still, I'm sure some enterprising soul could always knock up a GPS dongle and special car seat belt for the 27inch iMac so you can take advantage of this
simon the diver is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:40 AM   #35
isoMorpheus

Pointless stupidity.
isoMorpheus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:51 AM   #36
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon the diver View Post
yes that turn by turn GPS will come in real handy on my GPS-lacking Apple hardware - particularly so on the desktop machine
I was comparing the features of the respective mobile apps, not their value emulated on a desktop computer.
Indoor Maps and Offline Mode would still be pretty cool for iMac and particularly MacBook models.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:59 AM   #37
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

This would be as pointless if it were for iOS applications. A Mac already has about every application under the sun you could want, and with its full browser and decent screen, web apps make up the bulk of what isn't there (native facebook kinda crap...).
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:00 AM   #38
boomish
Banned

Great 400,000 inferior clones of what I have on my iPad! and I don't even want those on my Mac..
What is wrong with manufacturers, they sometimes seem so out to sea with what their customers want sometimes, having not long got a new Mac Pro with Lion, is a good example, I mean what were Apple thinking removing so many features, that we have manulaly to replace, I simply don't get it.
boomish is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:03 AM   #39
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a

Did they say why they are making this?
SBlue1 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:13 AM   #40
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

This seems pretty cool to me. There are a handful of Android Apps that simply do not exist on iOS that are actually pretty useful (a specific guitar chord app springs to mind, but there are others). Whether or not they will translate well to the MacBook Pro's trackpad is still left to be seen. Either way, it's kind of nice someone is working on this. I'd be quite happy to see the same done for iOS, but THAT will never happen.
mac1984user is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:18 AM   #41
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
I actually got Android for Intel processors running in VirtualBox. I think it was an outdated, illegit, Chinese edition though.
Can't be illegit. Android is Open Source, you know.

That being said, it's cool that somebody works on a product that allows me to run my Android software on my Mac. That's the beauty of open platforms: You CAN do something like this. People who use Android devices WILL find uses for this. And if Apple allowed you to run your iOS apps on OS X, the iOS users here would quickly shut up and instead try to find uses for that feature, too.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Does this mean that eventually, we'll be able to run apps from google's play store ?
I would think so. They won't sell those 400,000 apps themselves.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlue1 View Post
Did Erik the red say why he wanted to discover America? And why did people decide to go to the moon?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:22 AM   #42
colour
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinher View Post
I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?
Whatsapp ! This was out before iMessage and a great app ! This is really good news imo, I think android has a lot to offer that apple doesn't, now you can run windows, apple and android on your mac talk about one stop shop !
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:56 AM   #43
CortoMaltese
macrumors newbie

Could very occasionally be useful.

I see this being useful for a developer, quickly checking compatibility of a cross platform app.
And for general users, well perhaps occasionally. There are bound to be at least a handful highly useful android apps without proper equivalent.
CortoMaltese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:15 AM   #44
entropys
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlue1 View Post
Because they can.

Some people build lego versions of the death star...
Some people go to scifi conventions dressed as Spock...
Some people get excited about extreme sport....
Others get to have sex with random strangers on a frequent basis.

One or two people have to settle for making android emulators.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:20 AM   #45
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

Now when there's a jailbreak tweak for running Android apps, THEN I'll be interested.
stephen1108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:27 AM   #46
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
I believe the PC version does have access to Google Play. This is the main reason I am interested in this. My wife has a Kindle Fire, which only has access to the Amazon App Store, not Google Play. There are definitely more apps available from Google than Amazon. You can side load any apps you want onto the Fire, but I just don't trust downloading apps from random sites around the web. Who knows what kind of malware has been added. If I can get access to Google Play with Bluestacks, then I can get the .APK legitimately and then side load it onto the Fire.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:52 AM   #47
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

A Netflix app might be nice once it's opened up to Google Play, but it still seems pretty inconvenient having to open the emulator just to open another app. What I need is a one-click solution right from the launchpad.
KieranDotW is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:56 AM   #48
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Poptart View Post
mmm k?

Why do I need to run Android apps on my Mac?

I feel like I'm missing something here.
Because you can't run iOS on them.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom2234 View Post
... What use is this? I have an iphone and an ipad...
Forgive us oh great God of Mac we did not know all things are about you and your big head.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:01 AM   #49
Dave00
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this is pretty much a file under "don't care."

Now, if an iOS emulator came to Android, that would be a real worry for Apple (though not necessarily for consumers) since that's the one thing that really preserves their market dominance. Even if there's an Android device that I like better, the lack of iOS apps makes it a non-starter.

Dave
Dave00 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:01 AM   #50
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty2192 View Post
I believe the PC version does have access to Google Play. This is the main reason I am interested in this. My wife has a Kindle Fire, which only has access to the Amazon App Store, not Google Play. There are definitely more apps available from Google than Amazon. You can side load any apps you want onto the Fire, but I just don't trust downloading apps from random sites around the web. Who knows what kind of malware has been added. If I can get access to Google Play with Bluestacks, then I can get the .APK legitimately and then side load it onto the Fire.
No, the PC version doesn't have access to Google Play either. You can root it to install it though.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion