Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I heard that one could use the app called LINE to make free international phone calls. Anybody has experience with this app? Can I call people's home phone number for free? What is the catch? I read that I have to enter my phone number and name as part of the registration. If everything is free, then I don't have to top up my sim card or change the sim card whenever I move to another country. Thanks.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Hi, I heard that one could use the app called LINE to make free international phone calls. Anybody has experience with this app? Can I call people's home phone number for free? What is the catch? I read that I have to enter my phone number and name as part of the registration. If everything is free, then I don't have to top up my sim card or change the sim card whenever I move to another country. Thanks.

I think you can only make those calls/messages with people with the LINE app :p

It's pretty much Naver's competition to Kakaotalk. You're better off using Skype and buying Skype credits if you aren't in the Korean/Japanese community.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC

Because a lot of non-Koreans/Japanese never even heard of Naver/Kakaotalk let alone LINE. Only people that I know who uses Kakaotalk (not LINE even) are Korean Americans from my school and my friends (both Korean and non Korean) back in Korea.

Skype is an app/program that a lot of people have and can be integrated with Facebook. Plus, with a little bit if money, it allows you to text/call internationally or domestically to landline/cellphones without Skype, which is something LINE can't do (that I'm aware of).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.